Fork sag

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Fork sag

Seeking some input here:

I replaced the fork springs on my '07 250s with the recommended .42 kg springs from MotoPro. Things feel firmer up front but I measured my sag (push down and let rise - measure; pull up and let settle - measure. Average measurement) and I got 56 mm, which is about half of what I've read is recommended. The front end feels kind of jacked up and when I go pretty fast on the freeway I start to get a wicked headshake, a symptom, I've read, of too little sag in the forks. I'm tempted to go back to the stock springs but I like that firm feel up front.

Does anyone else have stiffer fork springs but still an appropriate amount of sag?

FWIW I haven't changed out the rear springs. They are stock. I also weigh 190 lbs without gear.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Crank up the preload on the rear to hold you over until you can get the right rear spring for your weight. Your front/rear suspension balance is off.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:47 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Guido, what do you weigh?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Guido, what do you weigh?
190 nekked, or maybe around 200+(++) w/gear.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Crank up the preload on the rear to hold you over until you can get the right rear spring for your weight. Your front/rear suspension balance is off.
I go ya. But according to Motopro the stock rear spring is close for my weight.

And even so, wouldn't I end up with too little sag at both ends with a stiffer rear spring?

Old 09-02-2011, 04:26 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Guido, I'm 190 too, and most of the spring calculators I've seen for our '06/'07 KLX recommend .46's. I went with .44's, as I like a softer setup. The .42's you have there should be super soft. Are you sure there's not some kind of stiction caused by a bent fork leg or bushing issue?

Old 09-02-2011, 10:32 AM
1st Gear Member

A call to John at motopro will help. IF its just too much sag, there may be a spacer needed to adjust the preload.

Too much sag in the front will change your bike geometry. Maybe even cause the headshake.

What is your rear sag?

Front should be .25 to .33 of total suspension travel. IF you have 10" of travel in the front, then 25% of that would be 2.5" or 63 mm sag fully loaded.

David

Old 09-02-2011, 03:12 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Guido, a couple of things and questions. You don't say exactly, but I'm guessing your 56mm is the fork sag with you on the bike, right?...not a static sag with just the weight of the bike? If so, then yes, that's not optimum sag.

However, here's the problem with trying to determine fork sag as opposed to setting rear sag. Front forks are notorious for having some natural stiction caused by seals, bushings, and just the angle of the front wheel to the steering head. The fork/front wheel moves in a telescopic manner without any real leverage advantage like the rear suspension. Plus, we're sitting more over the rear, and our weight tends to yield a better, truer number of sag. The front end is less loaded at rest and has more inherent drag working against its compression. Once you're moving this changes a bit, and the fork starts stroking more smoothly and normally. The bottom line is that obtaining really accurate sag numbers for a fork while sitting still is a little difficult. You almost just have to try to get into the ballpark first and then ride the bike to observe small bump compliance and full travel performance. Most of us are looking for good small bump compliance, attaining full travel, and without too much brake dive and/or wallowing. Both spring rate and damping work hand-in-hand to achieve this.

Rear sag is much more easily attained while sitting still, as the dynamics of the rider's weight and the leverage working the rear shock are closer to how the bike performs while it's moving. The fork not as much.

I would suggest trying discern your fork's sag and travel more as you actually ride the bike. A small zip tie or careful observation of your "dust line" will be more accurate as to your forks performance if done correctly.

One other thing, have you bled your fork's air valve on each fork when you're trying to measure sag? Make sure all air is out of the fork. This affects static and "at rest" sag measurements greatly, and it's a bit surprising how much air gets built up in these forks. Get the fork off the ground and bleed each valve.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Guido, a couple of things and questions. You don't say exactly, but I'm guessing your 56mm is the fork sag with you on the bike, right?...not a static sag with just the weight of the bike? If so, then yes, that's not optimum sag.

However, here's the problem with trying to determine fork sag as opposed to setting rear sag. Front forks are notorious for having some natural stiction caused by seals, bushings, and just the angle of the front wheel to the steering head. The fork/front wheel moves in a telescopic manner without any real leverage advantage like the rear suspension. Plus, we're sitting more over the rear, and our weight tends to yield a better, truer number of sag. The front end is less loaded at rest and has more inherent drag working against its compression. Once you're moving this changes a bit, and the fork starts stroking more smoothly and normally. The bottom line is that obtaining really accurate sag numbers for a fork while sitting still is a little difficult. You almost just have to try to get into the ballpark first and then ride the bike to observe small bump compliance and full travel performance. Most of us are looking for good small bump compliance, attaining full travel, and without too much brake dive and/or wallowing. Both spring rate and damping work hand-in-hand to achieve this.

Rear sag is much more easily attained while sitting still, as the dynamics of the rider's weight and the leverage working the rear shock are closer to how the bike performs while it's moving. The fork not as much.

I would suggest trying discern your fork's sag and travel more as you actually ride the bike. A small zip tie or careful observation of your "dust line" will be more accurate as to your forks performance if done correctly.

One other thing, have you bled your fork's air valve on each fork when you're trying to measure sag? Make sure all air is out of the fork. This affects static and "at rest" sag measurements greatly, and it's a bit surprising how much air gets built up in these forks. Get the fork off the ground and bleed each valve.
Thanks for the advice. I guess it's a bit more involved than just throwing in the springs. More later as I'm at work right now.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
Too much sag in the front will change your bike geometry. Maybe even cause the headshake.

Front should be .25 to .33 of total suspension travel. IF you have 10" of travel in the front, then 25% of that would be 2.5" or 63 mm sag fully loaded.
David
And the sag is measured from full extension to compressed with the rider in his riding position. Guideline is like David said, .25 for the forks and .33 for the shock.

Ride on
Brewster

Quick Reply: Fork sag