Fork Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Fork Oil Leak

Oil is leaiing out of my front fork. I ordered new oil seals from Bikebandit. Does anyone know if there is a thread that shows how to replace the oil seals? Are there special tools needed.

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2008, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure there are a couple threads about it out there, but there might be an alternative for you...My seals were leaking horribly and I fixed it by taking a
.003 feeler gauge and sliding it up into the seal and running it around pull it out and repeat a couple times make sure you wipe everything off after each pass including the feeler, it will leak a little each time if your doing it right. When your finished with that put a little vaseline on the tube under the seal and pump the forks a couple times maybe even go down the street and compress them as far as you can. then wipe off the excess vaseline then then check your oil level and refill as necessary. I have done this to several bikes and it has stopped the leak on all of them It wont work in every situation but most of the time the seal isn't bad its just dirt and gunk not letting it seal to the shaft. Just thought I would throw this out for you and anyone that doesn't know about this little trick.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member

great idea!!! Do they make fork socks for inverted forks like these to minimize the dirt problem?

Old 11-29-2008, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Name:  IMG_4781.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  49.1 KB

Old 11-29-2008, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Those are Moose fork skins on my 07 KLX in the pic above.
Parts unlimited# 0406-0010 44-50mm standard

Old 12-03-2008, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Novasteve. I will try it. I'll let you know how it works!!

Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

damm thats smart! nice little trick steve. ill have to remember that.
Originally Posted by novasteve
I'm sure there are a couple threads about it out there, but there might be an alternative for you...My seals were leaking horribly and I fixed it by taking a
.003 feeler gauge and sliding it up into the seal and running it around pull it out and repeat a couple times make sure you wipe everything off after each pass including the feeler, it will leak a little each time if your doing it right. When your finished with that put a little vaseline on the tube under the seal and pump the forks a couple times maybe even go down the street and compress them as far as you can. then wipe off the excess vaseline then then check your oil level and refill as necessary. I have done this to several bikes and it has stopped the leak on all of them It wont work in every situation but most of the time the seal isn't bad its just dirt and gunk not letting it seal to the shaft. Just thought I would throw this out for you and anyone that doesn't know about this little trick.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Steve has the right idea, but what might work better is a business card. The card will allow the small particle to get embedded in the soft paper and come out. I never heard of using a feeler gauge, that's interesting. I will remember that. Thanks Steve.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

i can't see a business card working. Get bent over on the edges and get soft like tissue paper from being sopped in oil.
________
MEXICO CITY HOTELS

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

get a milk carton and cut it into thin strips, i cut mine in the shape of a hook, so when i pushed it up into the seal it had an edge that would grab the crap and pull it out not push it in... worked like a charm.... mine was leaking pretty good too....

Quick Reply: Fork Oil Leak