Foam air filter oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not fan of that no toil filter oil either. It's way too expensive for one thing. One thing I've found to make application of filter oil clean and easy is to use a large zip lock bag. I put my filter in one and then pour in a couple of onces of filter oil. Zip lock the bag and then squeeze and pat the oil into the filter. It also applies the oil very uniformly. I don't waste any oil, I don't get it on my hands (no need for gloves) and I just zip it up when I'm done and save the baggie for the next time.You can get several uses out of one baggie because there is hardly any oil left on the inner walls of the baggie.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:52 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by roadglider
I'm not fan of that no toil filter oil either. It's way too expensive for one thing. One thing I've found to make application of filter oil clean and easy is to use a large zip lock bag. I put my filter in one and then pour in a couple of onces of filter oil. Zip lock the bag and then squeeze and pat the oil into the filter. It also applies the oil very uniformly. I don't waste any oil, I don't get it on my hands (no need for gloves) and I just zip it up when I'm done and save the baggie for the next time.You can get several uses out of one baggie because there is hardly any oil left on the inner walls of the baggie.
I agree on the benefit of using the plastic or Ziploc baggie method. I also store the spare in the same baggie so it's ready to use for the next service. Still, you have to wrestle with the filter and its sticky oil while putting it on the filter cage and installing it into the airbox. This is definitely my whiny side coming out, but I hate the characteristics of that oil. I'm thinking I've found the best compromise by cutting the tacky oil with a 50% mix of 30wt non-detergent motor oil. The tacky oil does have a water shedding quality that no other oil has IMO, but I don't have to drown my bike in creek crossings anymore like I used to have to do when racing enduros.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

My first experience with changing my air filter (just under 3k miles) was to pull it out, look at it, and put it back in. I can't believe how clean it was, especially after a few very dusty day trips. Only had a very small (2x3") patch of light dust on the outside of it, which I blew off with an air hose. The underside looked like it came new. I guess the snorkel located under the seat lets in enough air, but somehow not very much dirt/dust.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I've mentioned this before, but a good way of making your clean filter last longer is using a prefilter. I use one of those white hair nets that they use in food plants. Oil that thing up with whatever you want, put it over your filter, throw it away when it starts to get a little dirty, thentand back and admire your still-clean filter. The airbox on the KLX is a biitch to fit them in, though. Works great on the motocrosser. I use Belray on the hairnet, and it makes the good stuff last longer.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

gallon can paint filters work pretty good too, same kind of thing. Home depot

Old 09-27-2012, 11:57 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

On the prefilter deal, I like the two-piece Uni filter with the coarser red outside filter and the finer inner filter.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
On the prefilter deal, I like the two-piece Uni filter with the coarser red outside filter and the finer inner filter.
I like those too. I use Not Oil which I believe is even better than Notoil.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:45 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
I like those too. I use Not Oil which I believe is even better than Notoil.
I Googled Not Oil, but all I get are links to NoToil. What is it?

Old 09-28-2012, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

It's about to get dumped in your wife's garden.

I use the Uni filters, and still put a prefilter over them.I think that coarse filter is a little too coarse to do much good.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:09 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
It's about to get dumped in your wife's garden.

I use the Uni filters, and still put a prefilter over them.I think that coarse filter is a little too coarse to do much good.
Yeah, but zw, it's Not Oil after all, so it sounds so organic.

On my two-piece Uni, I oil the red outer filter too, and it does a lot to stop dust.

Last edited by TNC; 09-28-2012 at 03:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Foam air filter oil