Fml

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Unhappy Fml

so friday i got off work and decided to take my klx out for a spin. got it unlocked and uncovered, fired it up, and grabbed my gear. hopped on in to go get fuel and it kept bogging like it was out of fuel, and it was...weird, i never leave it with an empty tank. oh well, i took my truck and got gas. came home excited to ride, filled the tank...and same problem. maybe it was just being stubborn and cold blooded after sitting for a month. tried taking it for a ride and noticed my rear brake wasnt working too well, and it still kept bogging out. finally i limped it home and noticed i was smoking like a banshee. at this point im about ready to explode.
i got off the bike at my house, and my rear tire and rotor are covered in oil-there's my braking problem. and its pissing oil out of the airbox drain line, so i disconnected the crankcase vent from the airbox...here's where i really wanted to explode...blow by, and bad. so now i start tearing into the bike with what little tools i have at my house. my airbox was full of oil, oil was pissing out of my vent tubes...but yet i didnt notice my oil sight glass was still full. i finally got tired of trying to take a bike apart with a crecent wrench, so i put it back together, loaded it in the truck and opened a beer. my mind instantly goes into worse case senario, cracked piston, broken rings?...oh well, ill take it to work on monday and tear into it.
saturday rolls around and my dad comes by. he saw the bike in the back of my truck and asked if i went riding. so i told him what happened, and he looks at me and says "did you shut off the gas when you parked it?". -click- im an idiot. turns out i forgot the gas was on, my tank drained into my crankcase while it sat for a month. so today at work, i drained the GALLON out of the crankcase, it was almost due for a change anyways. now only time will tell how bad i messed the motor up from lack of lubrication.
i think ill go get fitted for my dunce cap today

Last edited by bmx_lar; 10-11-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

huh, I leave my gas **** on all the time ( during the riding season ). My bike hasn't sat for a month yet since I bought it but sheesh, I am going to go home and shut it off tonight. It is about that time to park it anyways.

Usually at the end of the season I try to run it as low as possible on gas the then shut off the fuel switch and run until the carb is dry. Throw some seafoam in the tank for what little bit of fuel is left and have never had a problem.

Maybe it is because you had a full tank sitting in it for a month?

Hopefully you get is a cleaned out and nothing is damaged.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

So the fuel somehow over flowed out of the carb and down the intake and into the crank case ?

Old 10-11-2010, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are just slightly lucky you have done no harm if you didn't ride it that way for too long.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

well i got fresh oil into it and its not knocking, so ill run it till she blows...then rebuild with a 351 haha. i also found out the wix filter 24944 doesnt work in my bike. the cup in the bottom isnt big enough to fit over the 3 tabs that hold the spring in place

Old 10-11-2010, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmx_lar
well i got fresh oil into it and its not knocking, so ill run it till she blows...then rebuild with a 351 haha. i also found out the wix filter 24944 doesnt work in my bike. the cup in the bottom isnt big enough to fit over the 3 tabs that hold the spring in place
Did you figure out how the gas got into the crank ?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

All it takes is a stuck float valve and the tank will start draining into the crankcase. Wouldn't matter if the tank was full or not.
Best of luck with the engine, my uneducated guess says your ok. You may want to check your float valve and make sure it isn't still sticking.
Dan

Old 10-11-2010, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
Did you figure out how the gas got into the crank ?
Same way it always does when this **** happens.
If the float valve in the carburetor doesn't quite close the fuel flow and the bike is left sitting with petcock open, all tha gas will slowly trickle to carburetor which then floods and through the jets the fuel runs into the cylinder.
That assumes engine stops at point when intake valve is not all the way closed.

And even the a valve is closed, they often do not seal perfectly well so s slow leak can get past the valve.

The the gas has easy way to trickle past the rigs and into the crank case.

The needle valve in the carb is not bullet proof shut-off. Even a tiny gain of some dirt can get dislodged under the needle and then it wont close off. And the needles do wear. You should never trust the carb to shut off fuel flow 100% perfectly, use the petcock for that.

So the OP shouldn't feel bad. This snafu happens all the time, almost everyone will do it at some point or another. Usually you learn the lesson after one incident then you're good for the rest of your riding career.
Don't ask me how I know :-)

--
Mikko

Old 10-11-2010, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

it was a mixture of stupidity and murphys law. i put fresh oil in it and ran it for a while, now im gonna change the oil again just to make sure everything is clean.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
So the fuel somehow over flowed out of the carb and down the intake and into the crank case ?
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Same way it always does when this **** happens.
If the float valve in the carburetor doesn't quite close the fuel flow and the bike is left sitting with petcock open, all tha gas will slowly trickle to carburetor which then floods and through the jets the fuel runs into the cylinder.
That assumes engine stops at point when intake valve is not all the way closed.

And even the a valve is closed, they often do not seal perfectly well so s slow leak can get past the valve.

The the gas has easy way to trickle past the rigs and into the crank case.

The needle valve in the carb is not bullet proof shut-off. Even a tiny gain of some dirt can get dislodged under the needle and then it wont close off. And the needles do wear. You should never trust the carb to shut off fuel flow 100% perfectly, use the petcock for that.

So the OP shouldn't feel bad. This snafu happens all the time, almost everyone will do it at some point or another. Usually you learn the lesson after one incident then you're good for the rest of your riding career.
Don't ask me how I know :-)

--
Mikko
Looks like i already answered my own question but was looking for verification from the OP.

I figured this is what had happened but didn't know if there was some other way that the fuel could have gotten into the crankcase.