FMF Q4 Slip-On

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default FMF Q4 Slip-On

For those of you who have one............are you happy / satisfied with the FMF Q4.
Sound quality, fit, and performance.
I'm considering one for my 2006 KLX250S (310) I had a HMF for a few years and it was just way too loud......... even with the version of a quiet core.
Thanks in advance for the feedback...
DJF

Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
rlj
1st Gear Member

I put one on my 09 a few months ago and love it!!! Sound is definitely louder than stock however its not annoying. The bike definitely has more get up and go as well. I'm going to purchase another 250S in the near future for my son (so we can ride together up in the mountains) and the FMF Q4 will already be ordered and ready to install when that time comes. Very happy and highly recommended.

FYI, I was concerned about melting the rear blinker as some have reported, after around 1000 miles with the new pipe, no melting at all. My pipe fits perfectly on the bike.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

the q4 fits the 06's and 07's a lot better than the new ones. Not going to melt anything.

Love mine, couldn't be happier. Just the right pipe for the KLX. Loud when you want it to be and quiet when you dont.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I like quiet bikes. Not as quiet as stock but still pretty quiet. The FMF Q4 is not quiet. It is the quietest aftermarket exhaust though and the sound quality is really good but don't fool yourself, it's not quiet. You will be noticed when firing this thing up in a campground, parking lot, or in the woods far away.

The FMF does not utilize all of the OEM muffler mounts so it might not be as strong as the factory setup. I held both the factory and the FMF at the same time and there is no noticable weight savings.

The FMF comes too close to the airbox on the 09+ models and has been known to melt the box. We'll see, mine isn't melted yet.

It sounds good (but loud), looks good, and seems to make the engine more snappy. Install is very easy.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

1500 miles on the 09 with q4 and p-bomb. Nothing melted, fits fine and runs great. Power bomb header is supposed to knock off a db or two. Not too loud until it gets higher in the rpm range.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Great exhaust....sounds better & works really well with the megabomb. It is louder than stock but not to loud like some other after market systems. I think the sound level is perfect but I never heard a Q4 without the megabomb which is said to lower levels by 1.5db & sound a bit deeper. BTW, I had a two brothers m7 for one day & got rid of it, as it was ridiculously loud.

I have a 2011 efi model which it didn't fit very well to. I had to make a couple of extender brackets to lower the pipe by 10mm, as my air filter box started to melt!!!

Good gap between the pipe & air box now!!

It fits perfectly now & utilizes both bolt on points and because the silencer is 10mm lower at the back, I recon the possible indicator melting issue will be avoided.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Seems to be the go-to silencer for KLXr's .. I know I love mine. I have a powerbomb with the little shield fmf sells, and a Q4 with the 1 1/8 powercore quiet insert.. it is quieter that way, but no power loss. I like a quiet bike.. and I sneak onto the beach alot here in NY. I have even been thinking of putting a KLR 650 silencer on this bike to get the silent performance I have been looking for .. so far, Q4 is the best there is I think.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Great question--I am thinking too of the FMF Q4.-- 2006 KLX250s

I called the FMF company and asked about the increase in power he said about 5% and maybe with the slip you MAY have to rejet. Put pipe on ,new plug, run it and see plug color and decide. He said maybe rejet the main and pilot but every bike it different.

So question is --$300+ for a 5% increase?
Or maybe you guys has some more info?

Thanks!

Stashu

Last edited by Stashu; 10-11-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the reply's guys........ Very much appreciated!
I orderd one tis morning and should have a full ride report monday Morning the 18th.
From past experience I realize i will not be a day / night performance increasse, but every little bit adds up. I just don't like the tone of the stock pipe even when modified. For now I'll run it with the stock header.
Regards
DJF

Old 10-12-2011, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Joel, how do you pronounce your location " Phuket " ? Does the Ph make a "F" sound? As in ***-et Tailand? Sorry for the childish fascination with swearwords.
Dan

Quick Reply: FMF Q4 Slip-On