FMF Q4 - melts turn signals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

My PowerCore4 wasn't anywhere near my stock indicators - until some kind fella broke the indicator last week. By the time I noticed it was broken the exhaust gasses had totally melted the light case.

Fortunately I already had the Edge2 kit sitting at home, so it forced me to fit it this weekend. Not a bad thing I guess. I do like the look of teh Edge2 light, but am a little concerned it isn't bright and visible enough.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmmm, very strange.. Same year bike, same exhaust, some melt, some don't.

What gives??

Old 09-07-2010, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

sounds like some bikes are running hotter then others

Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I would think it would have to do with the positioning of the pipe. I have the powercore with the stock header on my bike and it clears the turn signal with no issues. I would think the closer the exhaust exit is to the signal the better chance you have of melting it.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:43 AM

I have a 09 klx250s with a fmf power bomb headder and Q4 mine turned the blinkers a little darker and on the bottom of the lens there was some melting small bubbles? I just used a light sand paper cleaned it up and added foil tape to the bottom of the light. I did try to adjust the pipe down a bit but it didnt move much. Think im going to get the edge tail light for it this winter you know got to do something in the down time

Old 09-11-2010, 12:36 PM
JAC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAC
I also have the Q4 on my '09 and after about 3,500km there is ZERO sign of melting on the stock signals. It is really weird how some people have it and some don't.
Ok, I lied. When I wrote that I was on vacation, away from my bike, and was going off of memory. When I got home I took a closer look and..... yes, slight melting on the underside and some blackening of the clear plastic on the lower part of the signal. But, it is hardly noticeable.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

For the first 2-3 months I've had no problems with the blinkers from the exhaust. However, after a long ride yesterday in the heat I noticed the blinker starting to melt. I think it's happening after I stop and the heat keeps coming from the exhaust right over the blinker.

Any suggestions on replacement turn signals that are closer to the bike and out of the way of the exhaust?

Attached Thumbnails FMF Q4 - melts turn signals?-photo.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Do those with melted signals still have the smog crap on? Or slip on and stock jetting? Why is your exhaust hot enough to melt the signal? When I put the Q4 on I de-smogged and rejetted. 1k miles later still no melted blinker??? There has to be a reason some melt and some dont.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I still have my smog crap on. I haven't found the caps I need yet. The local dealer doesn't sell them and I need the correct number and sizes before I try to order them from somewhere.

Do you think the smog equipment could be heating it up that much more to cause such damage?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

As I understood it, it was ONLY on '09 and newer models. That's what sent me searching for another muffler. That's a MAJOR design flaw, in my opinion.

I was looking for a quiet muffler, and that's how I ended up with a DEP pipe (DEP Pipes) on mine. They claim 94dB for the KLX250 unit... same as the Q4. The DEP has a real deep "bark" to it... but it's not too loud. Best thing is it's lightweight, and small, and the little kick in the end of it keeps exhaust gasses far away from the turn signals.

The only problem I had was that they only sell one pipe for all years. The frame mounts fit perfect, but I had to do some "creative mating work" to get the pipes to mate properly.

Quick Reply: FMF Q4 - melts turn signals?