fmf power bomb fail

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Bringin this back from the dead. Anyone notice that the powerbomb is just a straight pipe all the way through. The mega bomb has a larger collection chamber and works with holes drilled into the center pipe that runs through it like a resonator. The powerbomb is just a sleeve over the tube. Doesn't look like any ID change. Has anybody noticed this? Kinda pissed at fmf after buying it and really seeing what's inside.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a cold weld video somewhere, it is really cool,,,, no pun intended.

Ok I dont really think the propper term for this vid is "cold welding", but it's cool anyway.

Last edited by dan888; 07-09-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 525polaris10
Bringin this back from the dead. Anyone notice that the powerbomb is just a straight pipe all the way through. The mega bomb has a larger collection chamber and works with holes drilled into the center pipe that runs through it like a resonator. The powerbomb is just a sleeve over the tube. Doesn't look like any ID change. Has anybody noticed this? Kinda pissed at fmf after buying it and really seeing what's inside.
I noticed that as well. Kind of a rip-off isn't it???

Some guys over here were wondering what was actually going on inside their XR200 power bomb because the bomb section wasn't showing effects of heat etc like the rest of the pipe. Probably looked like this one on the inside.

As I recall from when I welded for GM, a cold weld is one that hasn't penetrated into the metal far enough to actually become part of that metal rather than just laying on top

Last edited by Richard Avatar; 07-09-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

There are clearly two holes in that photo. I checked my pbomb out prior to install. There is no conspiracy here. Step away from the ledge.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

We were making our own bomb sections decades ago, They can be a good anti-reversion addition if done correctly.

I don't see any holes; what-those two little white spots?

Old 07-10-2013, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, the holes are bigger than the photo leads you to believe.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

The wholes are useless. They do absolutely nothing. On a mega bomb if you look at the photos they are much bigger and actually serve a purpose. Even tho some have dynoed the mega and had a loss of .5 hp the mega to some is worth the money. The powerbomb is a straight pipe for all anyone is concerned. Having 1 or 2 weebit holes with a metal sleeve around them is good for nothing. Fmf has nothing to say if u ask them about how the powerbomb is put together. They actually didn't even know there is supposed to be a ID change like their website states. Someone had to copy it off their website and show it to one of the R&D guys. Either way u put it 2 holes or not it is mainly a straight pipe that we pay 200$ for with no added benefits besides being a little bigger ID than stock.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Years ago Yoshimura used to add little cannisters a couple inches away from the header/engine connection, and swore there was a gain.

A few years ago I added a large U shaped cross over/balance tube pipe to a car I had and picked up .25 sec at the strip. In fact I added the same pipe to subsequent cars of the same model and got the same gain.

When I first tried it, I had run the car with the attaching flanges I'd added to the exhaust system on each side open (like exhaust dumps) and on did something like 12.39. After going back to the pits and bolting up the cross over, it did 12.16 and 12.12!

So for what ever reason- the cross over balance tube was better than open exhaust.

Gains can be found in surprising ways at times, but while these tiny holes in question could allow a pressure bleed-something like an expansion chamber, the bomb section does seem a bit under-engineered.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=525polaris10;498418]The wholes are useless. They do absolutely nothing. On a mega bomb if you look at the photos they are much bigger and actually serve a purpose. Even tho some have dynoed the mega and had a loss of .5 hp the mega to some is worth the money. The powerbomb is a straight pipe for all anyone is concerned. Having 1 or 2 weebit holes with a metal sleeve around them is good for nothing. Fmf has nothing to say if u ask them about how the powerbomb is put together. They actually didn't even know there is supposed to be a ID change like their website states. Someone had to copy it off their website and show it to one of the R&D guys. Either way u put it 2 holes or not it is mainly a straight pipe that we pay 200$ for with no added benefits besides being a little bigger ID than stock.[/

What header are you running? Or are you just looking at pictures

Old 07-11-2013, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Bringin this back from the dead. Anyone notice that the powerbomb is just a straight pipe all the way through. The mega bomb has a larger collection chamber and works with holes drilled into the center pipe that runs through it like a resonator. The powerbomb is just a sleeve over the tube. Doesn't look like any ID change. Has anybody noticed this? ********************>>>>>>>>Kinda pissed at fmf after buying it and really seeing what's inside.
Jeez vwboy. U got me. I just live off everyone else's pics and bikes. I don't even have a klx or a powerbomb. Maybe u can send me urs so I can stick my shalaylee in it and see if it gets caught in those huge holes that u speak of!!!!

I've only had the klx with the powerbomb since day 1 of the 8000 miles it has. All I can tell u is that this is the most underpowered heaviest 250 I've ever seen. The 200 spent on this crappy header could have been 200 toward a bbk that would have atleast shown some improvement!!

Quick Reply: fmf power bomb fail