Fly Trekker DS Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Just wanted to give a quick update on this helmet. After having it for about 4 years its been great. i dont wear it quite as much and its become my spare helmet but the ratcheting mechanism just failed. I contacted FLY and they sent out a new ratcheting system and visor super quick and no shipping fee all free. I am super happy with the customer service and the support from FLY. Still a great helmet

Old 02-12-2015, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I'm wondering about the Joe Rocket RKT hybrid dual sport helmet. It's supposed to be made by HJC and my HJC street helmet fits better than anything I've had for over 20 years. I have an oval head and any of the round head helmets just don't work.

I have an HJC street helmet that fits great. I got the Joe Rocket, the fit is great until - until you actually ride with it! The strap is poorly placed allowing the helmet to rock back. I spend too much of my time tugging on the visor like a pitcher on the pitcher's mound. Until they redesign the set up I would NEVER recommend the Joe Rocket/HJC Hybrid. The helmet is top quality... except that damn strap being riveted too far back.

I will say the Fly/AFX fits my oval head very well. I didn't like the angular look, but now I regret not buying one. I think my next helmet will be an Arai Adventurer, same fit as the Joe Rocket and Fly/AFX.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the Fly Trekker as well. It's my "winter" helmet because it has a face shield, I've had it about a year now. I like it a lot, I just miss the bigger visor on my off-road helmets. I ride into the sun when I commute (especially in winter when the sun is low on the horizon) and I have to ride with my head down to block the sun. It's my only complaint. If the screws on my Fly F2 visor would come out, I'd try fitting it to the Trekker. I don't have a problem with the wind tug on the visor that many complain about and would love a little more sun shielding capability.
The thing I really love about the Trekker is the ability to wear goggles under the face shield, but you should know that feature probably contributes to the noise level of the helmet, since the face shield never seals tight on the sides.
Most importantly for me the price is right. I find it hard to spend big money on a helmet that might get ruined on any DS ride from an off.