Fly Trekker DS Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Light "surgery" with a pair of hedge shears will cure that...
You mean like Van Gogh? Nah, I'm too fond of my ears! I'm thinking I'll go even lighter, and do the surgery to the liner instead. Actually, I haven't cared enough to really look at the offending fabric to work out a solution.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Lutz, did a light saber come with your helmet, like mine did?...LOL!

But seriously, maybe this pic will help, and I'll bet the visor mount at the peak of this helmet is much the same for the OP's and most others. I basically made an extension visor mount at the peak, so I didn't have to hack up anything on the helmet. That's the original clamping nut in the original hole. I then found a small slotted piece of plastic after digging through the junk drawer in the shop. I attached that to a screw with a low profile head and short threads and a low profile nut. Found that stuff at a hardware store. Clamped it all together, and it's worked great. This works on the peak visor mount on most helmets.
Nah, I guess I got ripped off. Mine came with nothing extra...and I've always wanted a light saber.

Thanks for the pic, that's perfect. I already had your idea from another post, but this fills in the blank.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I verified that the helmet will protect you today. Came around a corner on a forest road going a little too fast, hit a mud puddle, lost control, slid sideways for about 20 feet, bike going one way, and me going another. My face and hands hit the gravel first, followed by my right knee. I bought good gloves and a decent jacket, but hadn't picked up riding pants yet. My jeans ripped, and my knee has several pretty good abrasions on it, but the rest of my gear totally did their job. My gloves are pretty scraped up, I'm undecided on whether or not they are toast. They were $70 gloves, so I hate to only get one use out of them, but on the other hand, I'm really glad that my hands are fine. I'm a little bruised up in the ribs and stomach as well, but the jacket looks fine except for a bit of dirt. The helmet took a pretty good hit to the chin guard that just scratched it up, no real damage other than cosmetic.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:50 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Bill, slip some inexpensive velcro knee/shin guards under your jeans for your off pavement rides.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Bill, slip some inexpensive velcro knee/shin guards under your jeans for your off pavement rides.
That sounds like a great idea, I will pick up a pair!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Joe Rocket since it is an HJC in disguise. I have (well, I guess it may be "had" on the MX helmet, I think it was stolen) two HJCs and the street helmet is about the best fit ever. The MX helmet had some issues fitting the OTG googles and this might be an issue with any dual sport helmet since I do wear glasses all the time. But I gotta try it.

I'm in a worse situation with street tires. I've tried to get some information on the IRC RX-01 Road Winners, but other than the stuff on vendor sites it seems no one has run them or at least will own up to it. I'm always wanting to try something new, but I'd hate for it to be an extremely costly mistake. I figure they have to be better than the Duro HF918s I ran on the bike. I got them because I had such good experience with the Duro HF903/904 dual sport tires - stick like glue on the road and do fine off road for not being a knobbie. I was wrong - the 918s suck. I've about got them worn out so it's time to jump.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:32 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Mark, I wear glasses all the time too, and this is why I like the DS helmets even more.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Afx ds 39

For what its worth I am a new rider, but I ordered the FX 39, so this post caught my attention. The Fly Trekker looks very comparable, and appears to be a decent one. I figured I would chime in about mine since I have worn it awhile now. I too like this helmet, and I originally ordered a medium based on the old posts related to the FX37, a little larger than my measurement indicated, bit Atomic called me and explained the differences in the 39 and said I could probably wear a small and it was in stock. I got it in and it fits great.

I ended up removing the visor because I did not like the wind shear at speed on the street, but I may try messing with it more later. Last friday I took it on a 100 mile beach run which was awesome by the way, and the only things I am having to get used to are the ratchet buckle (seems it needs something between my chin and it, LIKE A PADDED STRAP) and I need to find some sunglasses that fit in a helmet better as mine were too wide/ thick and hurt my ears with the bucket on over an extended period. About hour 4 I could no longer handle the glasses and had to deal with the glare.

Ventilation and noise seems great, shield visibility and clarity is great, no distortion. The mechanics of removing the visor and installing the side covers for the shield are simple and seem strong enough. The liner seems well made and removes easily, although I have not had to wash it yet. It is comfortable and I have a longer narrow head front to back, so it appears AFX got things corrected from what I have read about the FX37.

Its a red strike and looks cool too. I have had many riders comment on how cool it is as well.

Ride!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Can you get a tinted visor for it? Pop the tinted visor on for those sunny day rides.
Also you need to post pics of any "awesome" ride you do We all want to see.
Dan

Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

After doing the looking and catching one comment that the AFX FX39 and the Fly Trekker were made by the same company, I looked. They are virtually identical in the pictures I looked at. Nice too...

But I just pulled the trigger on the Joe Rocket Hybrid, so now we'll have all the lower buck helmets reveiwed here eventually. I went with the Hybrid because it was made by HJC and both my HJCs worked out pretty good for me. I'm hoping as much with this one. I did fair on the price, coming out around $155 for the helmet. I'm going "punk" with the matte black, but I have some slick Converse All Stars graphics that will be applied to it to give it that "Chuck Taylor" replica look, so the matte finish will work well.

One thing I looked for and actually saw at one point was which helmets could actually have the face shield closed down over goggles. But with OTG goggles I'm kind of doubting any of them will. Still, even if I have to pull off goggles to get the face shield down, it will be well worth it should I get caught in the rain again as I have before. Man, that's like bbs being shot at your cheeks. I had some rain hit me between my lip and nose hard enough to sting big time. I'm looking forward to that cure.

I'm also looking forward to how it will work on the street bike. I did like the MX helmet on there, but the goggles were a bit wonky.

Quick Reply: Fly Trekker DS Review