Fly Trekker DS Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Newbie member here... I've had my 2010 KLX-250S for all of 2 weeks now, and the dealership ordered me an AFX FX-39 DS (Black Strike version). I just picked it up a week ago, and only have 3 rides on it so far. 2 with the visor installed, and one without.

On the highway, I very much prefer it with no visor. I found the wind resistance at speeds over 50 mph to be pretty annoying. It only takes about 2 minutes to remove the visor though.

I'm going for a longer ride tomorrow with it, a mixture of street and forest roads, so will give more feedback on it afterwards, but so far I am really happy with this helmet. Way more comfortable, and way better visibility than my ATVing helmet that I was using for the first week (with goggles).

I wear glasses, and I love it that fogging glasses inside goggles is a thing of the past...

Old 06-04-2011, 08:39 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BillMoore
Newbie member here... I've had my 2010 KLX-250S for all of 2 weeks now, and the dealership ordered me an AFX FX-39 DS (Black Strike version). I just picked it up a week ago, and only have 3 rides on it so far. 2 with the visor installed, and one without.

On the highway, I very much prefer it with no visor. I found the wind resistance at speeds over 50 mph to be pretty annoying. It only takes about 2 minutes to remove the visor though.

I'm going for a longer ride tomorrow with it, a mixture of street and forest roads, so will give more feedback on it afterwards, but so far I am really happy with this helmet. Way more comfortable, and way better visibility than my ATVing helmet that I was using for the first week (with goggles).

I wear glasses, and I love it that fogging glasses inside goggles is a thing of the past...
Does your 39 have the visor in a very high position? If so, it will catch wind like a sail just like most of my visored helmets have. I find it more annoying to not be able to use a good visor for sun shading. If you get the visor down to a proper angle that suits your neck and eye preference angle, you don't get the wind whiplash and neck pain. Riders of all manner of bikes, even road burners, are using these helmets. Just get the visor down to a manageable angle, and it's good.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

It may have been on the highest position, not sure. I will give it another try adjusted to the lowest.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Pretty good group of folks here, but beware of dan888. He's a strange one...LOL!
Here is a shot I found of TNC in his DS helmet. Tell the truth TNC, is that you?

Luke I'm your father
Name:  tc.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  50.8 KB

Old 06-04-2011, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

And it only gets better!

Thanks guys. Now I'm torn... I may have to take a good look at the 37 over the Joe Rocket. I tried on the Fly helmet at Iron Pony today. It was nice, but too angular for my fashion senses (like that makes sense, right?).

I scored big while there, though. I got a First Racing textile jacket with liner and body armor for $27.75 OTD. It was one of their low buck specials with a regular clearance price of $59.99. So I'm kinda happy with myself. I needed a new short waist jacket.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:23 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

That's correct Dan...A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...but you know the rest...LOL!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I've got an FX37, looks just like TNC's. I have a pretty oval head, but I've found this helmet fits well and comfortably. The only nit I have to pick with comfort is part of the liner snags the top of my left ear when putting the helmet on; I have to reach in through the eyeport to free up my ear from the liner. If I don't, my ear will get sore quick.

I agree that the lowest adjustment of the visor isn't low enough, but I've yet to mod it the way TNC did. That will be happening soon. I've played with the positioning, just haven't found the hardware to make it work. The way it is from the factory, the visor is pretty much useless. Dropping it down just slightly will do wonders.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:57 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Lutz, did a light saber come with your helmet, like mine did?...LOL!

But seriously, maybe this pic will help, and I'll bet the visor mount at the peak of this helmet is much the same for the OP's and most others. I basically made an extension visor mount at the peak, so I didn't have to hack up anything on the helmet. That's the original clamping nut in the original hole. I then found a small slotted piece of plastic after digging through the junk drawer in the shop. I attached that to a screw with a low profile head and short threads and a low profile nut. Found that stuff at a hardware store. Clamped it all together, and it's worked great. This works on the peak visor mount on most helmets.

Attached Thumbnails Fly Trekker DS Review-afx-visor-mount.jpg  
Old 06-05-2011, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Here is a shot I found of TNC in his DS helmet. Tell the truth TNC, is that you?
Lol... Luke SkyWalker on a KLX!

That black cape has the magic property of being shadowless, I suspect it could also make its owner invisible. I want one!

Keep on your good work Dan. Next time I guess we'll see a picture of TNC on Jolly Jumper.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lutz
I've got an FX37, looks just like TNC's. I have a pretty oval head, but I've found this helmet fits well and comfortably. The only nit I have to pick with comfort is part of the liner snags the top of my left ear when putting the helmet on; I have to reach in through the eyeport to free up my ear from the liner. If I don't, my ear will get sore quick.

Light "surgery" with a pair of hedge shears will cure that...

Quick Reply: Fly Trekker DS Review