Fly Trekker DS Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Fly Trekker DS Review

Just got my FLY Trekker DS helmet yesterday. I used the sizing chart when ordering and measured my head to be 22in putting me in the top end of a size small. The Helmet fits great, I love the looks of it and venting seems pretty adequate. The visor leaves anough room for goggles as well wich is nice. Over all Im really pleased with the helmet with only a 13 mile ride around town to test so far.

Still havent had it on dirt or highways but ill be sure to update as soon as I do.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice.. I wanted that.. but found the Shoei DS helmet and had to have it..

Old 06-03-2011, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I can see a DS helmet in my future....

Old 06-03-2011, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm wondering about the Joe Rocket RKT hybrid dual sport helmet. It's supposed to be made by HJC and my HJC street helmet fits better than anything I've had for over 20 years. I have an oval head and any of the round head helmets just don't work.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:20 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I love these kinds of helmets and have used one for about two years now. I don't even use goggles anymore, but you can use them if needed. There has always been one thing that I personally didn't like about moto helmet visors or the DS helmet visors. For me they stick up too high. They catch too much wind, they're too high for shading your eyes going into the sun, and they stick up too high and catch on low branches rather than being deflectors for those branches. For the last several years, I've modded all my helmets that have these visors to suit my preference. I've lowered the visor by modding the mounting points and peak clamp. The OEM mounts don't ever seem to let the visor go low enough. IMO they ought to provide more adjustment, but most all I've seen don't. Anyway, here's a pic of my AFX DS helmet with the modded visor. My Bell Moto 7 has the same mod as well as my full coverage MTB helmet. DS helmets aren't for everyone and a good deal of preference is evident on any helmet selection. I still use my Bell Moto 7 for singletrack rides with groups of friends where we're riding nose-to-tail in dusty conditions, but for everything else it's a DS helmet all the way. Even at Moab this year where I rode for days with some other groups of riders, the DS helmet worked great as long as you didn't try to ride directly behind the rider in front in dusty conditions. I've gotten to where I almost hate goggles anymore. Sunglasses or prescription glasses fit in most all of the eye ports of these DS helmets with ease.

Attached Thumbnails Fly Trekker DS Review-afx-visor-pic.jpg  

Last edited by TNC; 06-03-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 06-04-2011, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I love these kinds of helmets and have used one for about two years now. I don't even use goggles anymore, but you can use them if needed. There has always been one thing that I personally didn't like about moto helmet visors or the DS helmet visors. For me they stick up too high. They catch too much wind, they're too high for shading your eyes going into the sun, and they stick up too high and catch on low branches rather than being deflectors for those branches. For the last several years, I've modded all my helmets that have these visors to suit my preference. I've lowered the visor by modding the mounting points and peak clamp. The OEM mounts don't ever seem to let the visor go low enough. IMO they ought to provide more adjustment, but most all I've seen don't. Anyway, here's a pic of my AFX DS helmet with the modded visor. My Bell Moto 7 has the same mod as well as my full coverage MTB helmet. DS helmets aren't for everyone and a good deal of preference is evident on any helmet selection. I still use my Bell Moto 7 for singletrack rides with groups of friends where we're riding nose-to-tail in dusty conditions, but for everything else it's a DS helmet all the way. Even at Moab this year where I rode for days with some other groups of riders, the DS helmet worked great as long as you didn't try to ride directly behind the rider in front in dusty conditions. I've gotten to where I almost hate goggles anymore. Sunglasses or prescription glasses fit in most all of the eye ports of these DS helmets with ease.
I use a similar helmet with prescription glasses when dirt riding. I too find that the visor is too high, never thought about the possibility to lower it. You make me wanting to check for that possibility now...

Old 06-04-2011, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

TNC is that the 37 helmet or the newer one? As I said, I have a bit of an egg head, but not extreme. Thing is at least on the earlier Shoei and Nolan helmets they were so oriented to a round head I couldn't wear them, either too tight in the back and forehead or way too wide. I always had good experience the old Bell Star and so-so experience with the AGVs. The KBC was fair, but the HJC is virtually perfect. I just wish I could try them all on first. I hate to wait until I can get to a show to see them and few dealerships stock them around here.

Let me know what street helmets have suited you guys and maybe I can gage by that. It is part of why I'm leaning toward the Joe Rocket, it's supposedly made by HJC and I'm hoping they use their more oval headed fitting process.

I personally have a tendency to ride head down a bit, maybe due to bright sun riding, so I don't really have too much issue with the visor in the wind, although the dual sports have a higher visor and may be different.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice! A gal I know has one and she loves it.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:00 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

klx678, yes, it's the 37. I must have the oval head syndrome too, as all the helmets that gave me any comfort problems were at the forehead...my huge brain, I guess...or the swelling from the frontal lobotomy...LOL! The AFX 37 never gave me any issue, so I can only assume it's somewhat accomodating for oval heads. The HJC DS helmet I've seen in some discussions on ADV seems as good as any, though I can't recall what shape head it's closer to. Frankly, most of these newer generation Arai DS clones we're seeing in recent years seem to be very similar in most respects. Yeah, they're not at the apparent quality level of the original Arai, but heck...you could go through 4 or 5 of these clones to equal the price of an Arai. I thought the quality issue...or lack thereof...would be more noticeable and apparent, but as time has passed with a ton of hard use, my AFX has been darned good in every respect. I would expect no less of the Fly version the OP has or the HJC.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, I like the looks of that. Looks like they are around $125. They only had a couple very expensive options when I looked at this type of helmet a few years ago.

YouTube - ‪Fly Trekker DS Helmet Review at RevZilla.com‬‏

Quick Reply: Fly Trekker DS Review