flush mount signals

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: flush mount signals

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

the acerbis signals come with 5-watt bulbs..someone gave me info on hlogen bulbs at Radio Shack..they worked for a while, but then my bulbs kept falling out the rear of the lights...only to find out the bulbs get so hot they melted the plastic that the harness is supposed to press into...so I found incandescent 18-watt bulbs at Canadian Tire, but had to drill out/cut away some plastic to allow them to fit into the light housings, but now they work great...just a lot of d*cking around to get to this point
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

you too green lets see some stuff

Old 09-03-2007, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Name:  IMG_1799.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  92.3 KB
Name:  IMG_1800.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  67.3 KB
Name:  IMG_18011.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  88.6 KB
There ya go! My flushmount idea!
And just for fun.....
My bike in action
Name:  100_2012-1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  88.1 KB

Old 09-03-2007, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Okay okay..make me get up, get the camera, rip apart my signals just to post these..hopefully someone appreciates this..lol......

Name:  IMG_0584.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0583.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0586.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  53.7 KB

btw the bulb is a 921..18-watts, plenty bright

Name:  IMG_0588.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0406.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  114.9 KB

and one of a few friends..good times at the camp.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You know what I have been thinking about the Acerbis with the built in turns is that I agree they are almost worthless in the day light. But really if you think about it we could add any light we want to the hand guard. I mean I am going to start looking for a really bright alternative. The wires are already there so lets share ideas or progress on this issue. I'll be posting as soon as I come up with something. If I can't find anything I am going to just install the stock turns back on the front, along with the Acerbis ones, that should get some one's attention.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 deej, you'd think they would have thought themselves that they werent bright enough from the get go. I wonder if adding some kind of reflective material inside the housing would improve anything. Something like the inserts on the stockers, or even modding the inserts from the stockers to fit inside. Any little bit would help.

Ps: thanks for the pics guys, looks really good!

Old 09-04-2007, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stellar_d

+1 deej, you'd think they would have thought themselves that they werent bright enough from the get go. I wonder if adding some kind of reflective material inside the housing would improve anything. Something like the inserts on the stockers, or even modding the inserts from the stockers to fit inside. Any little bit would help.

Ps: thanks for the pics guys, looks really good!
And you know what is even funnier or not really is the fact that the Acerbis are DOT legal and the ones on the back that I bought that are 10 times brighter are not DOT approved. Hmmmm I wonder who has their hand in some body's pocket.[:@]

Old 09-04-2007, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

That is quite strange. I wonder if the 10 dollar ones were not dot approved just because of the cost of testing or whatever? I've got the same ones going too and didnt notice if they were or were not DOT. But as if any one would know otherwise, they work quite well. I think some kind of small LED setup would be cool. Like those really bright *** ones.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Yea well I bought one of these for the tail light.

What a joke!!! It ends up being 1/5 as bright as a stock 1157 filament bulb. Sometimes if it ain't broke, why fix it.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Ah that sucks. I have a little flashlight that has 4 small LEDs and it is quite bright. Would be more than enough for a turn signal. Although I think the key is to have a reflective piece of material in there. Kinda like one of those tanning things people used to use

Old 09-04-2007, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

If you already have the acerbis handguards and signals, I recommend drilling or carving out the white plastic (as I did) and picking up a set of GE921 push-in 18-watt bulbs. And since you lose the tabs from the white plastic that hold it into the housing, I simply used a litlle waterproof glue to glueit back on..the bulbs will already fit through the black handguard itself, so no drilling required there..and since the bulbs are changed by pulling them out the rear of the handguard, gluing the lens on doesn't impede a bulb change. Also, I drilled a couple of holes in the handguard beneath the hidden under the lamp housing that I used to slide a pull-tie through to hold the bulbs in the hadguards so they won't fallout and dangle .

The halogens were really bright..but the price of ruining the handguards by the lamp melting everything to me wasn't worth it..the incandescent are the way to go..just my opinion....good luck, let me know what you find.

Quick Reply: flush mount signals