First time taking the KLX offroad

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: First time taking the KLX offroad

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

Stock gearing will pull the wee KLX to 96mph indicated at which point my buddy on the XR650L rolled on by so I quit trying....[:'(] Just sayin....

Back on topic, I agree with the sufficient power from the KLX, my typical problem is momentum on sandy climbs. The Trackmaster makes one heckuva nice excavator when you start slowing down. On harder terrain I've yet to meet a climb that first gear couldn't handle or accelerate up.

Well then you are going to have to come over my house one day. Whatever you do, just don't lean back on the hillclimb.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:22 AM

ORIGINAL: sinkoman

ORIGINAL: HawaiiRider

Sinkoman, where you guys riding, Kahuku? We just did Mililani yesterday, figured all the Helicopters would be to busy to chase us out with the huge wild fires, and had the same problem. No traction on anything slightly muddy, and with roots up hill, forget about it.

How much are you guys paying for the Dunlop 606's?
Nah, we hit up some trails at Millilani. Me, my uncle, and his son usually drop in down by the Honda dealership, but we were with some army dudes that showed us a new way to drop into the trail via the Pearl City Industrial District.

Yeah, it was wierd. It wasn't like there was a LOT of mud, but what little mud there was made the trails slick as grease!
Ya the little bit of slicks we hit were impossible, the tire had nothing. Have you heard about people getting chased out of there by Choppers and arrested, then having there bikes confiscated? I don't know if I believe it but one of those urban legends.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Sinkoman, where you guys riding, Kahuku? We just did Mililani yesterday, figured all the Helicopters would be to busy to chase us out with the huge wild fires, and had the same problem. No traction on anything slightly muddy, and with roots up hill, forget about it.

How much are you guys paying for the Dunlop 606's?
Nah, we hit up some trails at Millilani. Me, my uncle, and his son usually drop in down by the Honda dealership, but we were with some army dudes that showed us a new way to drop into the trail via the Pearl City Industrial District.

Yeah, it was wierd. It wasn't like there was a LOT of mud, but what little mud there was made the trails slick as grease!
Ya the little bit of slicks we hit were impossible, the tire had nothing. Have you heard about people getting chased out of there by Choppers and arrested, then having there bikes confiscated? I don't know if I believe it but one of those urban legends.
It's gotta be a myth. I've been riding all these trails all over the island, legal and non, since I was 10. I've NEVER heard of anybody actually getting in trouble for it, and we've NEVER had trouble with land owners.

I doubt the land owners even care. I know that some of the trailheads in Millilani were shut down by the few owners that DID care, but the rest are still open.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:07 AM

It's gotta be a myth. I've been riding all these trails all over the island, legal and non, since I was 10. I've NEVER heard of anybody actually getting in trouble for it, and we've NEVER had trouble with land owners.

I doubt the land owners even care. I know that some of the trailheads in Millilani were shut down by the few owners that DID care, but the rest are still open.
Right on, thanks for that. Had some friends trying to tell me some new land owners were snapping about all the riders in that area. It's nuts back there, we did the river bed in one of the valleys and stopped off in some cross island express for the water from windward to leeward. That's what my buddy said it was anyway, suppossedly goes all the way from Kailua to Waianae, through the mountains. Let me know if you change your tires, interested to see what works well in our red dirt.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Right on, thanks for that. Had some friends trying to tell me some new land owners were snapping about all the riders in that area. It's nuts back there, we did the river bed in one of the valleys and stopped off in some cross island express for the water from windward to leeward. That's what my buddy said it was anyway, suppossedly goes all the way from Kailua to Waianae, through the mountains. Let me know if you change your tires, interested to see what works well in our red dirt.
Is that the canal that's just sitting there next to what looks like a jeep/fire road, and is also situated next to an irrigation pipe?

I remember this from when I was around 11-12, me, my uncle, and his son, were all hitting up some pretty gnarly trails god knows where, when suddenly the summer heat kicked in, and we were sitting there panting for air.

So, after a section of hillclimbs and switchbacks, we came back onto the main road by the irrigation pipe (which we kept seeing through the whole trail), and noticed that it opened up into a canal. So, we took off our gear, and jumped in to cool off. The water was ICE COLD!

Good times.

I'm still contemplating tire changes. The606s just look too similar to the stockers to be worth the 200 USD, but the Trackmaster 2s look pretty aggressive. Not sure how they'll translate into grip onto the road though.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

As long as you don't go nuts on the road the trackmasters seem to do fine.