first time off road = a smile that wont go away.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default first time off road = a smile that wont go away.

wow is all i can say
just got back from ocotillo wells. not only was it my first time there it was my first time anywhere other than the road.

the klx was awesome. we got there friday night (9pm) went for a quick ride and i noticed damn i really need to change the rear tire (3500 miles on stock).

we woke up early sat morning and went for another short ride before i took a break to swap the tire. had to walk to a few camp before i found someone with a pump though.

bike was great managed to do just about everything on it. little bit of jumping, lot of sand, some hill climbs, miles and miles of whoops lol and even got it to wheelie a bit. fell twice on my bike and once on another.

got to ride a few other machines as well.
first off a 07 yz250 (i think) a 2 stoke yamaha and holly cow that thing was a beast and sent me for the worst fall of the trip. kinda looked like a superman but uhh i wasnt in the air lol. got up with just a few scrapes but bent the bars pretty good. luckily the owner wasnt to mad cause he was out after busting up his knee 15 seconds into his first ride on the bike. (why the dealership would sell a new rider a 250 2 stroke i dont know) hes on crutches now and hopes to be ready for our next trip in jan.

next was a crf250 (race version i guess) highest performance model you can get stock. was a little easier t jump and wheelie with.

and a 500cc polaris quad. glad i rode it just to remind i lie bikes better than quads.

out of all the bikes there everybody like the klx the best the guy with the cf250 was shocked and said man your bike rides like a caddy its so smooth lol. they guy that busted his knee was scared to get back on his bike but felt safe on mine

ohh and cant forget the crf 50 lol it was a blast to watch my son learn to ride in loose sand vs the track surface hes used to. at one point the little guy even passed me lol

everybody was worn out and packed it up on sat to head home but me and my son stayed sat night as well so we could get a early morning ride in before coming back.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tucaz#2
(why the dealership would sell a new rider a 250 2 stroke i dont know)
Yet, that didn't stop you as a new rider from getting on one

It's not the dealerships responisbility to asess the riding capabilities of a rider...thats your job. A newbie shouldn't be on a machine strictly engineered and manufactured for expert/professional riders.
________
FREE BLACK AMATEUR POR

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:58 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah but i already know im a dumb *** lol

im not saying its the dealerships responsibility but a little word of caution maybe?????

oh well it was all good times and who knows maybe he will sale me the bike cheap since he's skeeered of it. he already asked to trade bikes but i use mine to get to work.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i herd a story once..... Little johnny wanted a dirt bike, so Johnnys parents take him to the dealer and he wants the bigger 125cc bike... and the salesman said he didnt reccomend it its a lot of bike for little johnny..... but thats all they kept looking at so the salesman got on the 85cc bike and rode a wheelie across the parking lot on the 85..... little johnny didnt get a bike at all...... lol.....

i think that was from a local dealer....

glad ya had a good time... i like off road because you can do anything you want and no tickets... plus not endanger anyone else.... i rode a late 90's kdx220 and it scared the crap outta me, i would be real cautious on a brand new mx250cc 2 stroke...

Old 10-27-2008, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Those KDXs can be deceivingly powerful with a few mods.

I replaced the exhaust and silencer and replaced the 33mm carb on my 98 with a 35mm and rejetted and it really came to life. It was really easy to bring it up onto 1 wheel, sometimes when I didn't really want it on 1 wheel. The thing was very forgiving though because when it came up, the power was so smooth, I just rolled off the throttle a little and it went right back down...very linear and tractable power delivery...

I just sold it a few weeks ago to buy a KLX250S. For whatever reason, the KLX just fits me better than the KDX did. The KDX always felt too small ergonomically. Maybe a set of bars would have made it feel bigger, but I wanted the ability to ride to the place I go trail riding and the KLX is a fun little bike.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

let me know when you go in jan., ill meet you out there. i love ocotillo wells, i use to ride out there on a quad (400ex), i didnt know how hard it was to ride sand with a bike till i rode 2 hours out there to find out. needless to say, by the time i got home, i had been worked.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I find it very surprising and funny on here when I see someone saying about how powerful and scary MX bikes are like they are some kind of untamable beast. I guess most people here riding these machines (250's) have ridden enduros/DS/dirtbikes all their life or this is their first bike. And they take a ride on a MX bike and wreck it or they need a change of shorts when they are are done....or both

They aren't bad to ride, your just not use to them because of these green turds we have. They are actually quite manageable to ride. They "like" to be ridden aggressively and handle much better, if you try to ride a MX bike like a Dual Sport, thats when you get hurt. You have to ride one like your pissed off and your trying to break it it. Make sure your either standing up on the pegs in the "rider's stance" or if your sitting down, site in the dip in the seat behind the tank with your weight forward. A good firm grip on the bars to keep a good plant on the front tire. The front tire is your anchor, that back end can and will whip all over town like a fish's tail and thats OK as long as your front is planted. Thats all you gotta do, and when your on it pretend like you just stole the damn thing and the owners chasing you down the street and your trying to get away. You'll have a grin ear to ear instead of laying on the ground.
________
Lesbian teen

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
I find it very surprising and funny on here when I see someone saying about how powerful and scary MX bikes are like they are some kind of untamable beast. I guess most people here riding these machines (250's) have ridden enduros/DS/dirtbikes all their life or this is their first bike. And they take a ride on a MX bike and wreck it or they need a change of shorts when they are are done....or both

They aren't bad to ride, your just not use to them because of these green turds we have. They are actually quite manageable to ride. They "like" to be ridden aggressively and handle much better, if you try to ride a MX bike like a Dual Sport, thats when you get hurt. You have to ride one like your pissed off and your trying to break it it. Make sure your either standing up on the pegs in the "rider's stance" or if your sitting down, site in the dip in the seat behind the tank with your weight forward. A good firm grip on the bars to keep a good plant on the front tire. The front tire is your anchor, that back end can and will whip all over town like a fish's tail and thats OK as long as your front is planted. Thats all you gotta do, and when your on it pretend like you just stole the damn thing and the owners chasing you down the street and your trying to get away. You'll have a grin ear to ear instead of laying on the ground.
you are correct sir the klx250 is my first bike so you can imagine why i wold the the 2 stroke was a beast. here i am on the klx pulling up like a mad man to get a wheelie going. i climb on the 2 stroke and its the other way around

Old 10-28-2008, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Just got mine in July, first bike.

Some tips for riding in the dirt. I'm not an expert.

Get your feet on the damn pegs!!
Stand up when going down hill!!
Stand up when going up hill!!
Get your feet on the damn pegs!
When you're going down hill, either maintain speed or increase speed.
Same thing for going up hill. Slowing down on either is risky business.

Each time I go out I learn something new. Went out this weekend with two other KLX's and a Husky 610. One KLX was an old MXer with a lot of experience, with all the mods. The other was an 07 stock, mine being an 09 stock.

The other stock guy had ridden street his whole life, and this was his first dirt bike. I think I did slightly better than he did in that I knew not to make some mistakes that I saw him make.

But I was making the same mistakes he was about a month ago. One seemed somewhat surprised that I had only been riding a bike 3 or 4 months.

Again...if you stand up, you'll stay on two wheels longer.

Have fun, be safe!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
Get your feet on the damn pegs!!
Stand up when going down hill!!
Stand up when going up hill!!
Get your feet on the damn pegs!
When you're going down hill, either maintain speed or increase speed.
Same thing for going up hill. Slowing down on either is risky business.

So where the hell were you 10 years ago when I did this?

Seriously though, if thats what helps you learn thats fine. Whatever you have to do to get over those hurdles. But in the end, later down the road...you'll see you'll be able to do whatever you want. Just this Sunday I was riding offroad. Put about 20 miles in. And I was feeling lazy and I must have broken every rule there you posted and I was perfectly fine. I was even doing some hillclimbs and my azz never left the seat. You'll learn how to handle the bike and toy with it eventually. In the meantime...have fun.
________
Og kush seeds

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Quick Reply: first time off road = a smile that wont go away.