First Round of Mods Complete!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default First Round of Mods Complete!

Well, round 1 is complete and the bike fired up first try. I installed the 2009 DJ jet kit, needle and spring. That went off without a hitch. It's super easy to do and as long as you pay attention to the way the needle come out of the slide. Even if you get it messed up, you can look at the DJ diagram and figure it out. The first thing I did was take all the smog stuff off - and I mean everything. If I get pulled over by a cop who knows bikes, I'm dust. With all the hoses out of the way, the carb came out with very little effort. I think the hardest part was getting the airbox boot back on while putting the carb back in. A couple of scraped knuckles and it was done. I routed the airbox breather over to the left side of the engine and zip-tied it off to one of the mounts for the little smog air cylinder (the little one, not the big one). I just inverted the stock breather line and brought it under the carb. I added about 4 inches more tubing and finished it off with a small FRAM crankcase breather. The whole thing tucks under the tank and you can't see it with the shrouds on. As for all the other smog stuff, every opening has a cap and clamp on it. I kept the gray gas tank breather line, the main fuel line and the reserve fuel line in tact but plugged up the other two outlets on the tank with a cap and clamp.

I went with a 2-Brothers slip-on exhaust. It's the M-7 KLX250S 2006 - 2008 model. After completely removing the little exhaust sleeve from the stock 2009 header, the 2-bros fit perfectly. No gaps and no problems.

So far I've only ridden it up and down the street but WOW! What a difference a few easy mods make. It really wakes the bike up. One note, the 2-bros pipe barks like a big bad dog!!! It is LOUD. If you are in a neighborhood and are concerned with noise, get one of the tips they make to quiet it down a bit. Personally, I love it. I'm going to try and set off a few car alarms tomorrow if I can find a parking garage nearby.

Huge thanks to all the senior members who have helped me figure this stuff out. You guys must just shake your heads at some of our newb posts. And KLX09Owner, I did end up going with a UNI air filter after all. I looked at the K&N and it just made me a little nervous taking the bike into the dirt with that little protection. The bike breaths just fine with the UNI and I've run those and Twin Air in all my previous dirt bikes. One last comment. I got an e-mail from Bill Blue. The 331 kit is alive and well. It goes for $455.00 + shipping. That'll be my winter project. Thanks again, Forum members!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member

do you have to supply the cyclinder to Bill or is that a complete kit (pistons and all)?

Old 09-10-2008, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member

There are a couple of ways you can do it. The $455.00 is if you send him your cylinder. He can also use one of his cylinders and he charges an additional $125.00 core deposit. When you get the 331 kit from him, you can send him your old cylinder and get the core deposit back or you can just keep your old cylinder and Bill keeps the core deposit.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Sounds like your doing well on the mods. What's funny about the muzzy is you can cruise through town and keep it quiet, but if you roll on the throttle it will make even Harley riders turn thier heads. So its the best of both worlds.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice,, thanks for the right up

Old 09-11-2008, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

if i remove all my smog stuff unless im doing something wrong my bike runs bad put it back on it runs good

Old 09-11-2008, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Fyi - from the stock cylinder at 2.835" it gets boared to 3.268" :d

Old 09-11-2008, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by barthel75
if i remove all my smog stuff unless im doing something wrong my bike runs bad put it back on it runs good
you need to make sure the carburetor vaccum port on the top near the engine is capped,

Old 09-11-2008, 11:25 AM
1st Gear Member

capped it all off it pops and backfires like crazy

Old 09-11-2008, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Silly question but you capped off both tubes right? At the top of the carb there is a tee fitting. I capped both the horizontal and the vertical nipples. I also capped the port in the front of the head just above the exhaust header. You can use a bolt and hose clamp or find a larger cap at Kragen. On my bike the only air that enters the engine is via the carburetor airbox and the crankcase breather. Every other vacuum line is gone.

Quick Reply: First Round of Mods Complete!