first ride conclusions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: first ride conclusions

ORIGINAL: incabiker

I really am considering a road bike in addition to this fun little bike. I would like a cruiser that I won't have to worry about getting on the high way with and be able to ride it for a couple of hours without gettina a sore butt.
You're travelling down the right road ! The KLX is awesome for hopping out to trails, or McDs or a gas station or hopping between trails (common in PA). But for road only, I got me an anodized aluminum V-ROD ! Night and day but I love them both for what they are.....

Old 04-15-2006, 04:51 AM

ORIGINAL: rkutzner

You're travelling down the right road ! The KLX is awesome for hopping out to trails, or McDs or a gas station or hopping between trails (common in PA). But for road only, I got me an anodized aluminum V-ROD ! Night and day but I love them both for what they are.....
Hell ya, that sounds like a blast. I love this bike, don't get me wrong, but if I would like to ride to tennessee one day from here, than the KLX can do it, but like hell if I can do it on the KLX lol. I road one day for about 2 hours straight on that bike on nothing but roads, and I gotta say that got old fast. But to get on the bike, ride an hour, hop on trails for the rest of the day, and come home at night, I can do that on this bike easy. But I do not like riding a long ways on the roads on this bike, but it wasn't made for that either. I feel much more comforatable on this bike in the dirt where I am constantly moving my body around and not just sitting in one positions FOREVER!!

Old 04-15-2006, 05:17 AM

glad for your experience & r&d contributions.
I have a cr500 & xr650r. We ride ocala or southern east coast woods or hare scramble style.
My cr is bigger power than I need as my buds ride cr250's but my question is with the klx's suspension as it is can I clicker & change oil (weigh @ 185) & get to handle at least as good as late 90's cr in the woods?
I can confuse this question better if it's not messed up enough :-)
To get it handling better as far as the big stuff(jumps, whoops, downed tree's, ditches, and waddys) you will need harder springs .438 kgs for the forks and 5.8 kgs for the shock for around 180-185lbs. But for the small stuff(small bumps, chatters, stutters, small logs, and dips) the current spring rates are fine. You could put in thicker oil in the fork, adjust your sag, and adjust your compression and rebound settings for some results. The thing is the stock springs on this bike are set up for a 150 lbs rider on a 30 lbs lighter bike so that makes the riders nominal weight 120 to 130 lbs. I will be changing my springs within the next couple months to the the recomended rates mentioned above. I will let everyone know how it goes when complete.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Seth,

This really is a great bike.
Hit the button & do just about any kind of riding your heart desires.
Hope to be able to offload a few things & turn that into a klx later
this year.

Steve F

FL

Old 04-15-2006, 06:29 PM

so with the muzzy pipe and a jet kit can the klx rip some wheelies with out clutching or what ?

Old 04-15-2006, 07:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Well the muzzy and the jet kit helps but being a person that likes to wheelie ALOT... the most difference i felt is when I changes my gearing to the 13/45 tooth sprockets. Now I can wheelie in second gear with very little throttle... Also I can maintain my front wheele up for a longer peiord of time. Just have to keep practicing to hit the sweet spot all the time.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:13 PM

It just needs some tinkering and some add-ons;

-PRO TAPER KX- HIGH BARS
-PRO GRIP THIN GRIPS
-49T RENTHAL SPROCKET
-108L DID MOTOCROSS CHAIN NON-O RING
-DYNO JET STAGE 2 300R KIT
-MUZZY FULL EXHAUST
-KX 500 SNORKLE, DRILLED 12 HALF INCH HOLE IN AIR BOX COVER ABOVE FILTER
-UNI 2 STAGE FILTER
-ROMOVED PSS PEGS, STRAP
-TOOK OFF UPPER CHAIN GUARD
-CYCRA STEALTH MX HAND GUARDS
-REMOVED AIR INJECTION SYSTEM
-VENTED CRANK CASE W/ 3/8 INCH DRILL
-CRD SKID PLATE
-KENDA TRACKMASTER 2 TIRES/ MAXXIS EXTRA HEAVY DUTY TUBES
-MOTION PRO FORK PUSH BUTTON BREATHER VALVES
-300 BIG BORE kit

Loud but meaningful now. Great for slow technical trail riding. When I need to turn it up some I grab my XC-W 200, but that involves trailering. The KLX allows me (14/49) to ride the 50 miles to the riding area have a hoot all day. Before leaving I borrow a pump from some local rider, go back to 22/24psi and haul *** home. Simple Green, rinse, dry, lube and Bob's yer Uncle!