first oil change and I fuxored it up

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default first oil change and I fuxored it up

Well, not really, but...

After putting about 800 miles on the bike in the two months I've owned it I figured it was time to do an oil and filter change. As I'm getting more confident on the bike I'm also getting more aggressive with how far and fast I rev it. Sure, the dealer said it had fresh oil and a newfilter when I bought it, but I have no way of confirming that, and I was doing my car today anyway.

First, my FLAPS didn't have the filter I needed, so I reluctantly rode out toSprawlMart because I knew they'd have it, and not much else it open on a Sunday afternoon.Then when it came to choosing anoil I was totally flummoxed. I'm so used to scrutinizing the oil I put in myAudi(does itmeet at least VW 502/ACEAA3, ect), and I know our wet-clutches don't like the latest and greatest automotive oil, it was counter-intuitive for me to actually look for a generic "motor oil."

They didn't have anything specifically labeledas 4-stroke motorcycle oil so I went with what I thought was a perfectly reasonable 'low-tech' oil, Castrol GTX 10W-40. The change itself went off without a hitch. All these complaints about the filter spring are really overblown. I just laid the bike down for the minute or so it took me to get the filter in and the cover on hand tight.

But nowI'm reading inmy manual and online (after the fact, of course) thatI should have used something with an API rating no higher than SG because the anti-friction additivesused inoil rated SH or higher can cause clutchslippage and other badstuff.The CastrolI used is rated SM.

So now I'm wondering, can I let this ride for a little while? I don't feel like draining it and refilling it rightawaysince that seems wasteful to me (yeah, the stuff was only $2/quart, but still...)What dothe KLX gurus think?

Old 08-26-2007, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: first oil change and I fuxored it up

The Castrol GTX has detergents in it that are harmful to the bikes clutch plates Etc. You want to use a oil that is formulated for 4-stroke motorcycles. After the break in period I would suggest a synthetic oil like Amsoil, Redline, Etc. I use Amsoil 10-40. Hope this helps.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:22 PM

I've known people that use auto oils in their bikes all the time with no ill effects. I have never heard of anyone damaging their motor or having slipping clutcheswith auto oil. I have always used motorcycle oil in my bikes but I don't think you will damage anything. This is just my opinion, I am not a mechanic.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on laying the bike over, piece of cake (just remember to turn your fuel line OFF)

I heard a rumor that the automotive oil wasnt built for the higher rpm's that a bike would normally use. Wether or not this is true or someone taking a p!ss is beyond me, but it scared me enough to use what the bike manual says. I use amsoil 4stroke 10-40

Old 08-26-2007, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I don't understand why you guys go through the trouble of laying it down. [&:] A dab of grease on the spring holds it in place.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:47 PM

"Unspring" the bottom coil of the spring with needle nose so that it adopts a bit of a pressure fit into the depression. Fixed forever.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:50 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

I don't understand why you guys go through the trouble of laying it down. [&:] A dab of grease on the spring holds it in place.
None handy

Old 08-27-2007, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Car oil won't cause clutch slippage. The detergent in the oil causesexcessive wear on the clutch disks. Shop mechanic told me this. Car oil is not good for bikes![sm=noooo.gif]

Old 08-27-2007, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Even thou the Owner's Manual is not clear about the oil. The oil you use should be meant for motorcycles with a wet-clutch. I had to internet order my oil since local dealers here didn't carry Royal Purple MaxCycle.

I would buy the currect oil and drain the automotive oil that you put in.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

bel ray oil....... great stuff..... 6$ a quart.....

Quick Reply: first oil change and I fuxored it up