First mod advice. *New*

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Successfully cracked the top one too. And got replacement bolts for both lol.

I need to know that torque spec so I know what that feels like next time I see it.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Also would like to update after the starter jet drill. It started yesterday in 36 degrees just fine. First click with choke on. Tried to put the chock back in at 1 minute and it still needed a little longer. Pushed it in at 2 minutes and it was perfect. That being said I also feel like the pilot system is more stable after the drill.. Would definitely recommend to anyone experiencing difficulty starting.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you have a manual? If not, you need one. PM me your email address and we'll get one your direction.
I don't recall torque specks for the plugs.
The enricher / choke jet should have zero impact on the pilot system when the enricher plunger is pushed in.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Already got one to him.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I dont rly care about the torque spec. My point was just that thing was insanely tight. If finding TDC is part of the valve check then I kinda doubt that ever happened at the dealer. Lol

Old 02-10-2020, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

It is, but it can be hedged a bit, by using the marks on the cam sprockets to know when it is at TDC or close enough. That or they put it back way too tight.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Waiting on 17mm socket to arrive..

Old 02-18-2020, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Have you got your pipe on yet? Going back to your first post of suggested mods, and getting more air and fuel in without the pipe, not by design but that is what I had when I first got my bike. Carby was derestricted and re-jetted in preparation for the pipe and airbox off, but had to wait nearly 2 months for the pipe as there was no stock in Aus at the time. Poor little bike, you could just tell it was being choked to death and in pain. When I finally got the pipe on it was an entirely different bike. Suddenly I had power!

Other big leaps came with adding good nobby tires, dropped to a 13t front sprocket, then back to a 14t but with 48t rear. I did a ride after each mod, and they were all great jumps. Interesting that the latest 14/48 revs at about 7400 doing 100K (60 mph), but with the pipe and open airbox, it does this easier and happier than when old gearing and no pipe running 6500 rpm.

I am pretty average at wheelies, but even I can get the front up. Can't wait to see the next leap of power when I do the MCM. Based on what it is like now, I doubt I would ever need a big bore.

Anyway, just my thoughts on doing your gearing next after the pipe.

Cheech

Old 02-18-2020, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey thanks for the response.. No I have not gotten the exhaust yet. I'm waiting until I get some gift cards to offset the cost. We get them pretty regularly where I work. I'm looking at this one right now.

Check this out at Amazon.com Delkevic De-Cat Aftermarket Slip On compatible with Kawasaki KLX250 Mini 8" Carbon Fiber Round Muffler 09-16
Amazon Amazon

i like carbon fiber and how it looks on the klx. They say it's pretty loud but I'm sure without the baffles removed it's not too hateful. What was the jet/exhaust combo that worked for you on your bike?

Old 02-18-2020, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Check Delkevic on their site, might be lower pricing and they will possibly have information on the volume. I will tell you the 8" is really loud according to them, over 100 dB. I'm looking for a system for my XSR700 and they are lowest price and to keep it down around 96 dB requires the 18" muffler w/baffle. Every increase of around 3 dB is perceived to be twice as loud as the lower reading. So my going from roughly 86 dB stock to 96 dB is quite a bit louder, but not objectionably loud. So you may want to go with a longer can.

One reason I plan to stay with the aluminum wrapped can is because the carbon fiber is essentially plastic and will wear at the fastening holes eventually possibly tearing out the holes. Just letting you know what I've learned both from Delkevic on the sound and in reading some reviews on the muffler material.

Quick Reply: First mod advice. *New*