first and last time i repack my own exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default first and last time i repack my own exhaust...

who else has done it? i know EMS has.
I bought the FMF packing for 10 bucks
had all the tools needed
didnt expect to have it be close to impossiable to take out the end cap
and i didnt think that by the end of it i'd be iching like a crazy crack head. i was COVERED in fiberglass packing and it SUCKED. yes i've put in insulation before and never has it been this bad. that crap got everywhere! so if the shop wants 40 or 50 bucks to repack my exhaust i'll let them have it and i'll tip the guy that does the work! haha! getting it back in was a pain, getting the core centered was a pain as well. and i'm not sure what other exhausts have the slightly bent in the middle core but it makes it a Bit&h to get it centered after...

sorry to all i had to vent a little bit on this.
end of story, its all back together, and it doesnt sound any quiter, but alittle more gurth to it if anything. I like it. I'm happy and thats all that matters.
heres a few pics, sorry but i didnt take any while i was covered in fiber glass so you really dont get to see the packing go in.
Oh and take a look at the anti theft device i've installed J/K

Name:  DSCN0843.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  122.2 KB
The basics needed...
Name:  DSCN0844.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  116.3 KBMake sure you get your bike and exhaust dirty as possiable before you do this, so you dont feel so bad when your also covered in crap.

Name:  DSCN0845.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  100.9 KBdont be afraid to expose her a little. shes not camera shy either

Name:  DSCN0846.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  108.0 KB
first time i've ever opened up the exhaust, i dont even think i needed to pop the end cap off, but at least its out of the way
Name:  DSCN0847.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  88.2 KBa little 28V surgery and i'm almost in oh and thats a 1/8" bit if your wondering
Name:  DSCN0848.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  104.2 KBanti theft? nah, that bugger was STUCK. so me being a super brain that i am (half baked probably) decided to make a plate out of an old saw blade with two holes for 2 of the 3 bolts, bolted thru the saw i was able to lightly smack the saw blade with a blunt object and got her loose finally. it worked really well.
Name:  DSCN0849.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  122.4 KBok got the core out, then came all the "hair" looking stuff... now that i'm looking at the picture, i'm not sure i installed the core in the same way it came out... out well. next time.

ok skipp a whole bunch of curseing and throwing things in rage

Name:  DSCN0850.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  102.0 KBall done, put that bugger back together and i'm out riding...
totaly time to do the whole project was about 1 and 20 minuets or so. but only because i was scratching my head trying to think how i could get out the end cap with out destroying the can. the saw blade worked really well.
and now its all back together and i went riding before dark. i love my bike.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: first and last time i repack my own exhaust...

EDIT: oh sorry thats 1hr and 20 min

Old 03-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

On the big gun you take the end off... and it makes lining up the core to the inlet of the bottom of the muffler hard... but besides that its not bad.... and the big gun's core is straight through.... lol... i didnt get covered with fiberglass that much.... glad its all back together.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

hahah, wait, you took off the end closest to the engine? no the exhaust tip part? maybe i did this backwards... great. haha, o well, i guess it really doesnt make a HUGE diffrence

Old 03-18-2008, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, now I'm really confused.....I got a Muzzy that could use a re-pack. Ya take off the the end cap, spark thingy, and quiet core.......then drill the rivots out the tail end and pull the wadding out the exhaust side right? ..... I'm sending an email to muzzy before I do this .... lol

You pulled the pipe out from the intake side pie...I'm confused...but thats easy.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:25 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Thanks I have to do this soon as well, but why did you take off the pipe? You should be able to do it on the bike...no?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

it would be kinda hard to do on the bike..... i took the end (farthest from the motor off)
Name:  muffler001.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  69.5 KB

Name:  muffler003.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  55.6 KB

There, you can see which end it is now....

Old 03-18-2008, 11:13 AM

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

it would be kinda hard to do on the bike..... i took the end (farthest from the motor off)

There, you can see which end it is now....
What's the difference in sound now that you repacked your Big Gun?
Mine is freaking loud and it's even new!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

thats one thing that i noticed about the big gun, pie4foou said that there was alot of packing still in there, I think Big Gun goes cheap with packing... i bet my muffler was not even half full of packing when i repacked it the first time, i just did it again this year, and there was alot more left over from when i repacked it.... so im betting urs is the same way. I noticed a difference, its alot lower and more quiet, but if your running just the race core and no vortex insert or quiet core.... its freeking loud with new or with old packing.... But it is noticably quieter. i had the race core, but switched it this year to the quiet core, the quiet core isnt so quiet, but it flows alot better than the vortex insert, and makes the bike run better.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

thats one thing that i noticed about the big gun, pie4foou said that there was alot of packing still in there, I think Big Gun goes cheap with packing... i bet my muffler was not even half full of packing when i repacked it the first time, i just did it again this year, and there was alot more left over from when i repacked it.... so im betting urs is the same way. I noticed a difference, its alot lower and more quiet, but if your running just the race core and no vortex insert or quiet core.... its freeking loud with new or with old packing.... But it is noticably quieter. i had the race core, but switched it this year to the quiet core, the quiet core isnt so quiet, but it flows alot better than the vortex insert, and makes the bike run better.
Thanks for that info. Looks like my mission for after work today is to order up a quiet core.

Quick Reply: first and last time i repack my own exhaust...