first impressions of bike after Dynojet jet kit install

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default first impressions of bike after Dynojet jet kit install

I picked up my KLX250SF from the dealership today that installed my Dynojet jet kit (# 2182).

Ride home was approximately 20 miles.

My first impressions are as follows:

1. Wow, the throttle seems SO smooth now.

2. Shifting seems smoother now too.

3. No more loud popping during deceleration.

4. During deceleration it’s more of a “gurgle” now but not nearly as loud or bad sounding as before.

5. Only thing that seemed to change was rolling off the throttle isn’t as smooth as it was before; it’s almost like the fuel is cut off and there’s a slight jerk to the bike. One of my previous bikes was a Yamaha FJR1300 (2006) and that thing was to Euro specs and decel was horrible. It was like the throttle was either “on” or “off”. No way to modulate. The KLX isn’t nearly as bad (yes, it’s not FI like the Yami) but it was something I noticed on the ride home.

Per the recommendation from Two Brothers directly, specific to Dynojet’s jet kit, this is my set-up:

Snorkel removed.
Jet needle in the 3rd position.
128 main jet.
Fuel mixture screw 3 turns out.
Stock 35 pilot jet.

No doubt this is something for everyone to do, especially if you are running anything but the stock exhaust system.

Cost was less than $200 for the install and $60 for the kit.

Last edited by 407guy; 05-17-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I noticed that on/off jerk with the throttle too after installing my dynojet kit.
It was not noticable to me when testing the bike on the street, but in the woods, when you are in low gear, trying to keep the rpm's just a little above idle, it is a problem.
Craig

Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I guess I'm getting use to the new feel on the throttle. It didn't feel as bad this morning.

One other thing that would be added to the positives for this mod is my cold start this morning. No dead/flat spot between 2-3k like I always had prior to the DJ install. I was able to ride away without any issues, just rolled the throttle and no "dip" in power between those RPMs.

Indeed, I'm very happy with this modification.

Last edited by 407guy; 05-17-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Add this to my list of purchases..
The future wife is going to kill me..

Old 05-17-2011, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Damn, I gotta start installing DJ kits for $200!!

It's like a 30-45 minute job.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, good for you that you can handle a jet kit install in only 30 mintues. That is remarkable you can removed the carb, install the jet kit and reinstall the carb in that time. I looked into doing it myself but thought it would take more time than that; I have a one year old in the house now, so my time is very limited on my hobbies. Dropping it off to the dealership worked for me and I consider it money well spent. Plus I'm helping the local economy.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't feel bad about taking it to the dealer 407guy, the older I get the more and more I tend to lean that way too.

I did my own carb jet kit and while pretty straight forward and not too difficult, it can be challenging at times. Especially getting the carb back in, at least it was a pain for me.

Plus the dealer will tune it for you too, most of the time with an air/fuel meter, otherwise you just kind of guess at it.

Glad to hear you are happy with it.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

On getting the carb back in, sometimes fitting the boot back around the intake is difficult. I found using my bicycle tire irons to be a great help in massaging the boot around the carb.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 05-17-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine was $117 installed, but he put the 116 jet in with the snorkel out....

it doesn't seem to run bad, but per instructions thats just way off.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:39 AM
Default carb jet changing

Originally Posted by 407guy
Well, good for you that you can handle a jet kit install in only 30 mintues. That is remarkable you can removed the carb, install the jet kit and reinstall the carb in that time. I looked into doing it myself but thought it would take more time than that; I have a one year old in the house now, so my time is very limited on my hobbies. Dropping it off to the dealership worked for me and I consider it money well spent. Plus I'm helping the local economy.
I've done 3 bikes by loosening the carb clamps, taking off the throttle cables (1 screw and a little twisting to get the bracket/cables off the carb), popped off the fuel line and vent lines, removed the voltage regulator from the left side of the frame and just rotated the carb. It does not turn a full 90 degrees but you can get the bowl screws off and the jets out quickly. Much easier and quicker than pulling the whole carb out.

Quick Reply: first impressions of bike after Dynojet jet kit install