Old 03-30-2009, 06:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
meh... It's all preference.

Or you can add:
351 kit - $525
exhaust - $250
jet kit - $50

And totally annihilate the WR in terms of power. The modded '08 WR felt like a slow little moped compared to my KLX as it stands now.. I know that's apples to oranges, but we're talking performance/money.

Not to mention to put the exhaust on the WR he had to get a power programmer to reprogram the ECU.. $$$$

I dunno, I just think the KLX is the better buy all around.
The things you say are true Larry, but your leaving out a few key points. For example. Your exhaust price quoted...thats the price of the can, and depending on the model, that won't even cover that. To get a good exhaust for this thing, last time I checked mind you, it was about $500. Plus the big bore kit you mentioned. You have to take into consideration your average person can't do the work themselves, so that means they gotta pay someone bare minimum of $30 an hour, probably more like $50 nowadays, to do all of that. I have no clue what that would add up to but its gotta be a couple hundred. Lets just say $200 for a low ball figure.

And that's considering he doesn't want anything else done, like a heavier clutch, shaved flywheel, bigger carb ( you really should have one on a 350 ), different cams...etc. PLUS, lets not forget the biggest thing of all here... having to go through all of this crap as soon as you get the thing. You don't want to be wrenching on something as soon as you get it. That;s hogwash. That alone is worth money. And also, the WR has aluminum frame (very nice), it looks alot sharper (more modern). It has a EFI (that makes me want to get all hot and bothered there). I mean, when you want to "rejet", you plug it into a laptop. I don't care what the program costs, its worth it not have to spend countless hours testing jetting, tearing the bike apart, running to the shop.

Dear God, I'm getting worn out just talking about all of this. Rest assured, if Kawasaki doesn't convert over their KLX450 (I'm not going through the bureaucratic mumbo jumbo red tape to convert it) ...and no one comes out with anything else. I'll probably end up with a WR. Providing they remain reliable. There are ALOT of redundant and assbackwards designs on this KLX. It was the best choice at the time and I would probably do it all over again, thats why I bought it. But I'm wandering how good of a choice it was though in reality. Don't get me wrong though, despite all my problems with it and as much as I bitch about it...it is reliable and it did definitely fill the need I had for this style of bike. I'm really on the fence about the whole thing.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

There are definately alot of WTF Kawasaki? moments when working on this bike, I gotta agree with you there, Jason. I'm pretty new to bikes and I scratch my head sometimes... my old man, who's been around bikes long before I was born, has ALOT of WTF moments. I disagree that the WR is a better option, because for the $1000 US saved can be put to the $500 exhaust and $500 big bore, and you've got the performance, and it IS simpler than EFI (even if it is goofy designs in some ways, carb will always be simpler to work with). And working out the jetting isn't that hard, with this huge wealth of knowledge on the internet. I'm the kinda guy that works on it unless it requires tools or extra special training that I lack. Screw paying somebody to mess my stuff up, I'd rather mess it up on my own. Order the DJ kit and you have all you need to make the jetting work with a little care.

IDK, for me the KLX was perfect. Great beginner's bike, simple (enough) to work on, and as a noobtard, I don't need mad-tyte power, I needed cheap and reliable. The KLX does that. We all agree that Kawi better come out with a 450 dualsport option in the next few years, though, because when the current batch of KLX owners decide to upgrade, I forsee alot of yellow and orange bikes replacing the green ones. I'm with you, I refuse to jump through twenty hoops and spend God knows how much money on parts I'll turn right around and throw away just to get a plate for the KLX450R.

I think next weekend I'm going to man up and ride dad's DRZ-400... maybe by 2012 when my KLX is paid off, Suzuki will have updated it some, maybe give it a 6-speed and shave some weight. Otherwise it'll be an Orange Dream.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
And also, the WR has aluminum frame (very nice), it looks alot sharper (more modern). It has a EFI (that makes me want to get all hot and bothered there). I mean, when you want to "rejet", you plug it into a laptop. I don't care what the program costs, its worth it not have to spend countless hours testing jetting, tearing the bike apart, running to the shop.
the wr has an aluminum frame and weighs the same, so i see no advantage there. looks really dont mater in this, period. and for EFI, i know for a fact there is only a hand full of people on this board that could tune an EFI bike properly.

idk about everybody else, but building my bike into what it is today was half the fun. from the looks of your post, you are like me (replace anything and everything with the upgraded version). yes, the wr would be the better racer, but who buys a dual sport for racing.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the site. I'm sure it won't be long and the bike will be perfect for ya.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
Well, after you done buying your pipe, jets, new air filter...and all the free mods. Add up how much cash you have sunk into this turd, then add your time and frustration, trial and error time and effort, plus the "pain and suffering" of wishing you had something else and see if you feel the same way.

That $2000 Canadian will probably be down to at least $1000, if not more. Plus, like I said, your time and all that.

I think the WR would have been the better effort. However, there were a few reasons I didn't get one. 1. was because I found a very low mileage '07 for fairly cheap. Weigh that in with the price of a brand new WR and its nearly twice as much. Plus, the WR's were brand spanking new then. I hate buying anything its first year. It takes a while to work out the bugs and what not and I hate being the test subject.
The WR may have been a better effort BUT...

The 2 reasons I didn't go with the WR:

1 - the seat is taller then the KLX and I have a 30" inseam. It may have been fine, but since i had never rode a bike before my KLX, i wanted to feel completely in control... even when stopped. I was tipping on my buddies WR. (he got it a week or so before i got my KLX)

2 - the WR was the same price (roughly $8000 CDN all said and done) as the DRZ 400. So i would have likley done a DRZ before a WR... but the DRZ was also too tall and a bit heavier than what i wanted.

I guess all of them (KLX, DRZ and WR) have something i like and something i dislike. Since I was looking to learn how to mod, fix etc. these bikes, the KLX was the best choice (good price, good starter bike, proven reliability)... i plan on eventually doing a big bore both to learn and for a hobby..

The time invested in learning is just that... an investment for future rides, not just a waste of time.

Last edited by higgs; 03-30-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Good points everyone.

Clifsta, I thought of going orange as well. The local dealer here had an EXC that was in mint condition. But the ONLY reason I didn't because of price alone. Even used that thing cost one arm and a nut.

But...gotta love that hydro clutch. Oooooooooh man.

Ninja Edit: And yes there are a LOT of WTF moments on this bike. Coming from a professional motorcycle background its even worse for me because I've seen and experienced how the 'other half' live.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Well ideally, when the KLX is paid off, I'll have graduated college and *****-deep in my masters, and when I graduate in 2011 with my bachelors I'd like a pickup truck. The Accord is nice but its a '99 and its paid off. So its entirely possible that I'll just buy a 2-smoke or a 450 4-stroke woods bike and toss this dual-sport idea out the window. Pops's DRZ will be paid off by then, too, and probably worn slap out. Its an '06. If I go DS again, and Kawi doesn't have a better option, I'll be getting on that 450 EXC or the DRZ if they've got it modernized by then. I really want a 2-stroke, though...

Old 03-30-2009, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by higgs

1 - the seat is taller then the KLX and I have a 30" inseam. It may have been fine, but since i had never rode a bike before my KLX, i wanted to feel completely in control... even when stopped. I was tipping on my buddies WR. (he got it a week or so before i got my KLX)
That was also a consideration for me, because even though I am six feet tall, I have short legs for my height. I'm still exploring the woods where I ride, there are plenty of times I didn't like where the trail went, so I had to turn around, and sometimes backpeddle. Sometimes this has been in very tight and or steep areas, and i was thankful on those occassions for the lower seat height of the KLX. I still managed to tip over a few times while trying to get my bike turned around.

I do admit though, when I hit the MX track with the KLX, the longer suspension of the WR250R would have been welcome. I've still done a lot more riding in the woods than on the track, so it's worked out fine for me so far. I guess part of choosing which bike works better depends on where you want to ride it most.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

hey Lostnite - i'm also 6' and ride the exact same terrain... i've tipped over a couple times bgacking or turning... the other bikes would just be plain difficult for me.

My buddy that got the WR is about 6'2 or 3"... he fits those bikes great for the type of riding we do.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
I really want a 2-stroke, though...
1 piece of advice, when you get it...twist the throttle like you've got a pair and hold on .