First damage. Bound to happen!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default First damage. Bound to happen!

Rode 30 minutes to a local motocross park with the full dirtbike course, and some really gnarly trails. I hit up the course first, but only because I couldn't find the trails.

Note to beginning riders: Stop getting cocky, and slow down!
I've been riding only about 2 weeks, and it's so easy to make mistakes once your confidence gets up from where it was.

I hit this rut, must've been 8 inches deep. I went one way, the bike kept going straight, both went down. I nearly wrenched my ankle off! Only slightly sprained. Stock exhaust started melting the white side plastic, fuel started spilling out of the top of the tank, through the cap! Is that normal? Saw some smoke briefly, but I think that was some water or gas evaporating off the bike while it lay on its side. I was just walking around, making sure I was in one piece and OK to keep riding, thinking "OK, this means I keep it in 2nd gear the whole time! When they say trail isn't maintained during the week, I guess they mean it!"

Scraped some metal off the right swingarm at the end, scraped the muffler cover, scraped a little off the front corner fairing. I bent my front brake control, but not too badly. Throttle play feels a little loose now. It slides outward in addition to it feeling an extra few millimeters loose on the twisting axis.

Can I bend the brake back? How do I fix my loose throttle? This is meaningless without pics I know. I'm a little PO'd, but hey it was bound to happen, and this was why I bought the bike, because it's durable. This is just an excuse to go with the all black motif I've been thinking of....

Old 08-03-2008, 05:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to here that.
Saddle up again though.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, bound to happen. I dropped mine once in a small bit of slippery grassy muddy kinda area, right where it fell was a rock peaking through the ground.. Dented my fork tube, and put a few scrapes up the side including also bending my right footpeg mount which was I think about $60 to replace. The fork tube incl material cost me around $350..
Over time I have also busted both levers brake and clutch. gone through the stock blinkers on the back and 2 sets of aftermarket (on the 3rd).
It's an expensive hobbie

Old 08-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear about the spill, but even though I haven't dumped the bike in 8500 miles, I know its coming. As far as the levers go, get yourself some hand guards with the bar through them like the Acerbis Rally Pro or Pro Rally whatever, my dropped her bike a week after I installed them and not even a scratch on the guards. If you want to try something, there are two ways to fix the bent lever. Well actually three but the third one involves buying a new one.

First option, I recently had some bending and shaping experience with aluminum when I made my gas and water holders for the bike. Get the lever off the bike, and get it in a vice. Take a propane torch and heat it through the bend and make sure to get it hot enough to let it move but not hot enough to cause it to pop and melt. Then slowly pull it back to where it was. You could probably do it while its on the bike, but you don't want to melt the grips or anything else for that matter.

The second option is basically the same, but the heat source if you don't have a torch is you good old oven. Put the lever directly on the rack, bake at 400 for about 15 minutes and pull it out and work it that way.

I would either get the hand guards or stock some levers in your garage.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I've dropped mine pretty hard a few times...... nothing broke
knocked it over not being careful.......... broke and bent lots

just a good reason to buy better parts! so I try to "break" it all the time.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
First option, I recently had some bending and shaping experience with aluminum when I made my gas and water holders for the bike. Get the lever off the bike, and get it in a vice. Take a propane torch and heat it through the bend and make sure to get it hot enough to let it move but not hot enough to cause it to pop and melt.
I was thinking of this....I used to do this with hockey stick blades over the gas range in kitchen. My Mom hated that!

The torch method is more bad-*** than the oven...I could then say my levers are "custom" shaped!