First bike advice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: First bike advice...

ORIGINAL: hoedogg

you should getone of these instead....[8D]
Awwwwww.....that's sad. Hoe is trying to pull a deej and get noobs to buy a street bike, but the problem with that is most people want to have fun and explore on and off road. Poor Hoe, well at least you tried.[8D] Love you man.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

can't blame a guy for trying[8D]

Old 03-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Roger that, if they did I would be in a lot of trouble.[8D]

Old 03-22-2008, 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: wedge

Most of the bike for all three yearsis the same for fitting bags, tires, bars and to some extent even the plastics can be swapped if you don't like the "colours", (my wife is from BC -so I speak a little canadian) you should look into getting one down here since your dollar is doing so well against ours. I remember somebody on this site has got bags, I just haven't gotten around to it yet!
Hah! Canadian as it's own language...that's a good one...

Good to hear parts are somewhat interchangeable. I would definitely be looking for a larger tank and some bags...

I have considered heading to the US to look for a bike, but there's a whole bunch of import duties and taxes that need to be paid. Despite NAFTA and all that other "free trade" talk, the Canadian gov't needs to get their grubby little fingers into our cross-border dollar spending. "Oh, you want to buy that in the States? No problem! Just pay us an import duty and 12% tax please..."

On another note, does anyone know what kind of extra lighting the KLX's battery can handle?

Old 03-22-2008, 09:55 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Coast Mountain Guy

On another note, does anyone know what kind of extra lighting the KLX's battery can handle?
It will handle about 70W of add-ons before the alternator starts to lose groundtrying to charge the battery, but please note that most manufacturers are really modest with their power consumption ratings. Here's an example: When I was checking how much the KLX will handle, I hooked-up a '50W' sealed beam light and it was actually drawing 68W!Anything hooked-up in addition tothatlight caused the battery to slowly lose charge...so if you want to go beyond the load of that light, I would recommend something to monitor the battery voltage or, at very least, don't leave it on constantly.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:11 PM

Yeah, I'd be looking for enough power to occasionally run a super-bright driving or fog light setup. Not something that would be on all the time. Good to know there is some room...

Old 03-24-2008, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

You can get bags for it.....they also make a duffle to fit and attach to the top of them...or you could get a dry bag from another company as well.I also have an unmounted HID lamp right now that is rather large but it is from Hella and it is only a 35 watt draw (I tested it) but it is a 500 watt white light output...I had to remove it from a crane at work and they were going to thro it out until i searched them and found out that they are 463$ a piece......a huge lamp (5x5") in a shockproof housing and the HID ballast is self contained......I'm still thinking about it but they are illegal in my state so i'm sure i'd get in trouble....even then my heated grips soak up alot of my extra power i have anyway.
Name:  DSCF1988.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  105.4 KB

Old 03-24-2008, 05:10 PM

A big HID would be nice...It would make it easier spot those Bambi's as they prepare to wander into the middle of the highway. I'm pretty sure they're legal here in BC (the HID's, not jaywalking deer...). There are definitely some ridiculously bright-lighted vehicles on the roads...

Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

for the price of the wr or the 09 you could get a very low mile klx 250 and put a 340 kit into it and still have money left over for sick gear
check out craigslist all around the areas you are willing to drive to and see whats out there, could score a good deal

Old 03-25-2008, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

There are no import duties, as far as I know (I imported 2 bikes last year), but there is a $200 importation fee (RIV).
As for the taxes, you have to pay them anyway.
Nontheless, I just picked up a new 07 for $4400+ taxin Ontario.
You should be able to swing a similar deal, as the discount comes right from Kawasaki.

Quick Reply: First bike advice...