First bike advice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: First bike advice...

Aaron,

At your height of 5'7", the DRZ is a little tall for a "novice rider". The seat height on the KLX is 34.8", on the DRZ it's 36.8". It's possible to lower either bike, but those changes just don't seem right to me.

I would buy a used KLX, have fun, aquire some skills, and then decide on what my needs really are.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Considering it's your first bike, stature and intended use ...what about a used dr350...nicereliable old school bike, easy to handle, low seat an cheap. Also you won't be as upset vsa new bike if ya have a get off.

A cheap used bike is good for a first bike.....then buy new....because after 6 months you would not use the words 650 and 250 in the same sentence when makin a decision. Apples an Oranges.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:17 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: warski

Aaron,

At your height of 5'7", the DRZ is a little tall for a "novice rider". The seat height on the KLX is 34.8", on the DRZ it's 36.8". It's possible to lower either bike, but those changes just don't seem right to me.

I would buy a used KLX, have fun, aquire some skills, and then decide on what my needs really are.
Due to the 17" SM wheels/tires and some very minor suspension travel reduction (like .5"), seat height on the DRZSM is 35" exactly. Also, the DRZ has a 2.64 gal. tank which was very nice.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:20 AM

Nice...
Thanks for the speedy replies! Those were exactly the kind of answers I was looking for...a couple of varying opinions that got me thinking even more about the prospects and purpose of my intended bike.

Thanks, Finger Mullet. Man oh man do I understand the apples and oranges analogy...Any way I look at it, it's a matter of huge differences and tricky compromises.

The toughest part in my area, though, is the lack of quality used bikes. There's a bunch of $1500 pos bikes that are just waiting to explode, or hard-ridden, over-priced ones...Nobody's selling their DR350's and the other "middle-of-the-road" bikes (I've looked). I guess they know what they've got!

I think at heart I'm looking for a dirt bike that I can ride to work. The mountains are right in my backyard and I just want to go and explore. Too many places I haven't been yet! The feasibility of using the same bike as a commuting vehicle is just icing on an already great cake...

For some reason, I wasn't as interested in the WR250. I suppose the $1400 price difference between the WR250 ($7200) and the 09 KLX ($5800) didn't help...

So I don't know...DRZ felt way too tall for me. My friend's XR650L feels more comfortable and manageable, but BIG in the dirt (I've ridden the XR, but not the DRZ-that one I just sat on.) I seem to currently be favouring a new or used KLX. Size and "dirtability" seem to be drawing me that way...When I've got a couple years under my belt, I'll look at a "big" bike for the longer trips. Right now I just want to get a fun bike and learn how to ride it.........Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the advice...and more would definitely be appreciated...

Old 03-21-2008, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Coast Mountain Guy

Right now I just want to get a fun bike and learn how to ride it.........Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the advice...and more would definitely be appreciated...

sounds like you've already decided what you want - and it sound like the klx to me

Old 03-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You said that you basically want a bike to do some exploring and to ride it to work, well as long as extreme power is not a factor, the KLX is the absolute perfect bike for just that purpose. Now all you have to do is find a used 06 model. I found one on craigslist with 133 miles on it. Oh and forgot to welcome you to the site. So......welcome.

This one has 650 miles
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/608324233.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/612638431.html

ebay bike

ebay bike #2

ebay bike #3

Old 03-21-2008, 05:36 PM

Hey, thanks for the greet! Kind of nice to not just be an anonymous blip on just another internet forum (but really....I guess I am![sm=boohoo.gif])

How's the KLX for baggage and gear hauling. The 07 and older has a rear rack, but what about the possibility of side bags? And if I went the 09 route, would I be able to find a rear/side rack to fit?

Believe me, I'm definitely keeping my eyes peeled for a used KLX, but may go new if my patience runs out...Spring has definitely sprung up here in the Great White North!

Old 03-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

you should getone of these instead....[8D]
Name:  joesbike006.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  52.4 KB

Old 03-21-2008, 06:20 PM

hmmm....very nice, but no...

I don't think those slicks will hook up very well in the gravel. Just imagine the brake stand rooster tails, though!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Most of the bike for all three yearsis the same for fitting bags, tires, bars and to some extent even the plastics can be swapped if you don't like the "colours", (my wife is from BC -so I speak a little canadian) you should look into getting one down here since your dollar is doing so well against ours. I remember somebody on this site has got bags, I just haven't gotten around to it yet!

Quick Reply: First bike advice...