Fire Hazard

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Fire Hazard

The heat shield is an important piece and shouldn't end up in the parts bin.

Yesterday I went to the gas station with a friend to top off the bikes, as usual there was a guy blocking the pump so we waited. While waiting I caught a whiff of smoke I looked down and noticed it was my pant leg that was smoking. As I moved my leg to extinguish the sindering fibers it suddenly flaired up and now my pants were really burning. I Didn't panic at first because I've melted pants before but after hitting it a few times it would just flair up again like a trick birthday candle. I swatted at it a few more times and it finally went out much to my relief. Hole in the pants a stained sock and I'm missing a few leg hairs but nothing serious. So I will be putting the shield on asap I just never cared to because my 300 header had the mounts ripped off when I got it. I'm kind of pissed I wrecked another pair of pants but we got a good laugh out of it.

Attached Thumbnails Fire Hazard-apr23_0002.jpg  
Old 04-24-2010, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Ohh man.. Good thing it didn't happen while fueling up!

All my pants have burn holes in them since I got the FMF header.. Recently put a FMF heat shield on, so now I can get new pants

Old 04-24-2010, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I havent burned anything yet, but since i installed the megabomb i definately feel a big difference in heat near my leg. I didnt think much about it, but will now!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:44 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I'm curious about something...and maybe missing the positioning of your foot. That spot is at your pants cuff. My cuff is well below my pipe when my foot is on the peg. Are those really "high water" pants, or was your foot in another position or such? I don't doubt your incident whatsoever, just didn't see how that spot got cooked. Fibers that get lit up can be hard to put out. Some of the stuff will smolder and rekindle with just a little fanning. Often it just acts like a big wick. Could'a been worse. Some nylon stuff will flare up like it had gasoline on it. Yeah, I can imagine this happening with fuel flowing and vapors wafting about during your actual fillup.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:46 PM
1st Gear Member

How did you burn the cuff portion off? The exhuast pipe runs closer to my knee than my ankle. Does the 300 header run lower than the OEM header?

I never had a problem with clothes catching on fire, even polyester pants. But I did manage to brand my left arm on the OEM muffler. Quick and painful lesson. Pipe is extremely hot after a 20 mile ride through the wood trails.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Shift Squadron pants. Leather all down the inside of the right leg.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

No droop header or any trickery. The bike is tall for me so when I make a stop my pants (loose fit) get bunched up and get caught on the top of my boots. I'm forever fixing it while riding but the gas station was like 1/2 mile down the road so I didn't. I'm also running a 13t so I think the pipe got a bit hotter than usual. It's my fault 2nd time it's happened although no flames the first time just turned my pants brown.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

And at a gas station, so nice. Glad you didn't get scorched man. I just put on a powerbomb header and now I'm gonna be worrying about roasting my leg. I need to get a heat shield!