finished the mods....but....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Default RE: finished the mods....but....

Just got the Muzzy and dynojet in post today. The header pipe looks massive compared to the stocker.Fitting the pipe should be no drama, but what is the go with the carby?????. I am going to start with the 128 main ( i am at sea level). I dont like the diagram in the jet kit. Can anyone help with changing the jet (give it to me in dummies terms!)

Old 08-20-2007, 07:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Whats the most amount of turns out you want with the carb screw?

Old 08-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

if your getting fire out of the exhaust.... its runnin rich....... lol

Old 08-20-2007, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I used this walk through https://hmfengineering.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1617
combined with the Dynojet instructions to jet my carb and didn't run into any issues.
I used the 128 jet and put the clip 4 slots down and the bike runs great.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Finally got out to the muddy trails where I could really put the bike to the test (and the tires finally). Love the dunlop 606's, they do a good job. The bike seemed to be running pretty good except for a little hesitation, and climbing a pretty steep hill she just couldnt pull through. So I tried taking the airbox lid right off and boy what a difference. its alot more snappy and seems to pull through the powerband quite well. cant do any wheelies with the stock gearing, but i expected that. not really keen on having no airbox lid, but i guess thats what needs to be done.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:30 PM

So I am really getting something called afterfire and I need to stop the extra flow of fuel that is collecting and burning in the exhaust pipe/muffler. Would this be something to do with the slide returning too slowly or just cutting down the fuel screw a little?

George in Fla

Old 08-21-2007, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I see you have the needle in slot 2, that should be 2 from the flat top not the point just in case. That caused confusion for a few people. I see you are in FL, so I'm guessing more or less sea level which is my elevation as well. I had to go back to the stock pilot jet after fixing an air leak in my smog blockoff plugs. Before doing that I would suggest turning the fuel screw in by 1/8-1/4 turn increments to see what that does for your performance.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:11 AM

Adjusted the fuel screw in 1/4 turn and re-adjusted the idle and the afterfire went away. I was putting off pulling the carb again but I was anxious to find out if it would help...thanks

George in Fla (5 feet above the Gulf of Mexico)

Old 09-21-2007, 02:14 AM

I finally got to race with all my mods and had to go on reserve after 19 miles of Hare Scramble at an average speed of 13mph in tight trails at 90 degrees. Tough race... Does anyone have an opinion on the fuel consumption? I am of the opinion that I need to get scientific and measure exhaust temperature or mixture to lean this thing out a little. Plug is black and the new slip on is too.

Where would I save the most fuel but still get the performance?

George in Fla

Old 09-21-2007, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

IMO, go with the NGK Iridium IX plug and you might want to try going back down with the pilot to either a #38 or the OEM #35. I noticed my bike runs rich with the KDX snorkel vs. the open airbox. How does your 14/49 gearing feel?

Quick Reply: finished the mods....but....