finished the mods....but....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: finished the mods....but....

I kept it under 60, I really AM a dirt noob and didn't feel like eating it before a 10 hr drive homeNot to mention the 4000 miles on the stock front 603, that was aweful. I have the 776F now and it does get up on the sand better but I'm going to go towards a soft-intermediate tire when I replace this.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

hey i had nates stock front tire on still..... excuses...... lol..... I am new, this is my first bike, i just feel at home in the dirt on the bike, probably all the mountain biking.... man was that a great time......

Old 08-17-2007, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah but who had the week's training down in FL?

Old 08-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

[sm=bustedsign.gif] but i didnt fall down in FL That was a great trip too... ah memories

Old 08-17-2007, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

dude, no disrespect in any way with this post, but I gotta be honest with you- at your size and weight your KLX will never appease you. I weigh in at 150 lbs, and had the full gammet of mods sans a big-bore and pumper, and I wasn't happy with the KLX fully. Save your money and buy a real bike like a TE450 or KTM, or maybe where you live you can plate a KLX450 or WR450. It's just my opinion, but wasting money on a KLX to get 1 or 2 horses for a man of your stature is pretty dumb in my book. Now, don't get all offended or angry at me. I'm not saying you're dumb, just that I think it is. Trust me on this one, the mods you're talking of doing will help a wee bit (2-4 horses max), but I can't even see you noticing them unless a 10-horse miracle came out of your expected pipe; and that ain't happening. Not even if it has BG on the side of it.
sorry, didn't see that you already had a pipe. see, what'd I tell ya. I'd skip the 128, move up to a 130 main with the full system.
HULK ANGRY!!!!!!! But no really, no disrespect taken. I'm totally aware that I will outgrow this bike in no time. This was my first bike, of any kind, that I have rode on. I wanted a dual purpose so i could learn how to ride a bike, and to go get muddy too. My plan is to eventually buy a fat boy, and trade in my KLX for something more for the dirt (maybe, theres roads i have to drive on to get to some good trails down in whitefish). As far as mods go, this is as far as I go. Big bore and pumper carb is out of the question, I'll just buy a bigger bike, something in the 450 range, and green preferably.

After these mods I did though, I'm amazed how much power was locked up in there. I'm very satisfied with the bike for now, and probably will be for another year or two. Plus I really enjoyed doing these mods, i learned a ton and found a great new hobby.

Back to the mods. I dont know if going to a 128 or even a 130 jet is ideal now. After starting the bike up again later, it had troubles starting and when i crack open the throttle it stutters once (sometimes) like a "buh-buuuuhhhhhhh" sound. Very quick and no power or hesitation is noticeable. Maybe running rich now with the needle down. I also ride in the mountains so i could potentially get up to 6000 ft too. I think I'll just leave it as is (unless it really gives me problems when i take it into the muck) and have a mechanic optimize it when i park it for the winter....as I just cannot be without my wheels.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:44 PM

Just installed my HMF slip on and it fit perfectly. I have all the carb mods and am getting a little backfiring on deceleration.I also get a little balking the "buh-buuuuhhhhhhh" sound after decel and then cranking on it again.Performance is what I expected and now with the Michelin Starcross tires when I crank itI feel it jump. The sand where I ride is very soft so I am not pulling wheelies but in 4th gear in the whoops I am skimming the tops. Sounds like it should now.

I know I have read the fix for this backfiring and balking somehwere in the forum but I can't find it. Anyone remember the fix? Thanks

George in Florida

Old 08-20-2007, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

See if you have a slight exhaust leak at the header/slip-on connection. A poor seal will cause some popping.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

See if you have a slight exhaust leak at the header/slip-on connection. A poor seal will cause some popping.
Dumb question but I guess you never learn if you dont ask. how would you check for these?

Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 AM

I am getting a blue flame backfire out the end of the exhaust if I rev it up and back off quickly so I assume that is what is happening while I am riding. The stutter or hesitation when I get back on the throttle is the most anoying so far. The pipe fits perfectly and I know others have had some problems with leaking and spacers but mine went on very smoothly.

George in Florida

Old 08-20-2007, 01:49 AM

I saw this on the HMF Engineering website so I am going to open up the fuel screw another turn and see if that helps. "The baseline fuel screw setting helps but you still get popping on decell. Try going 1 turn more (open) if that helps the problem then you DO need a bigger pilot jet, just be sure to re set the fuel screw to the base setting.". I have the #40 pilot jet so it must be the screw setting.

George in Florida

Quick Reply: finished the mods....but....