finished the mods....but....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default finished the mods....but....

Well I did it. Got all the mods done this afternoon, finally got the muzzy pipe (sounds AWESOME). Started it up, only needed the choke in to start it cold (could be because the carb wasnt full of gas yet) let it go right away and it idled great. Took it for a spin, and wast completely blown away like most others who have done the mods. I put the 124 dynojet in, dj needle at slot #3 and 2.5 turns out with the kouba. She runs good, no bogging or anything, but it doest really seem to have that "pop" most peopel are getting after these mods. My 6th gear is also still pretty much useless. I wonder if i'm too lean maybe? I get some backfiring (maybe just really loud pops) when i decel. I'm thinking maybe should have gone with the 126 main jet instead. Still doesnt have enough power to wheelie, maybe I need to change my gearing, going to go 13 45 i think, since i dont do really much highway riding (going 80mph is enough on that bike). I need wheelies...any thoughts?

Did i meantion the muzzy sounds AWESOME

Old 08-16-2007, 06:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: finished the mods....but....

I have the stock gearing and can wheelie in 1st and 2nd gear (with major clutching) but don't like to - Sixth gear is still pretty gutless but not as bad stock. It does sound like it is still too lean though. I didn't use the DynoJet kit but bought the jets from Kawi and I know there are slight differences in sizes bewteen the two. Your carb configuration is a little different than what "most" of us are running, so get ready to be hammered with plenty of suggestions.

[sm=chattypair.gif]

Old 08-16-2007, 06:24 AM
1st Gear Member

should have gone with the one bigger jet i think. alos thinking the needle is in the right spot t #3. hoepfully i can just turn th carb out to change the jets. anyeone do this?

alos i'm looking at getting a 13t and a 45t and new chain. the rear sprocket i'm ordering is this:
http://denniskirk.com/jsp/product_ca...eafCatId=11208

i think it should fit. I'll need a 520 size chain i assume anyway, with 108 linkgs. probably going with the kimp counter sprocket

Old 08-16-2007, 07:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks IG. Originally a mechanic was going to do all this for us, but he's useless and no where to be foud so I just did it on my own. Anyway your sayin a 128 keihin main? I was looking at this conversion chart and am not really able to put together a match.

http://www.700v.com/dynojet.htm

I'm thiking i shoulda goe up to 126 on the main. Its not hard just to change out one jet right, just kinda loosen the thing and turn it? What do you think of my #3 setting on the needle? It suggests 4 in the manual but thats at sea leavel with stock exhaust. Maybe I should put it to 4 and 126 in one shot.

Also havent put in the gearing yet. Had to re-order. I suppose i should pull out that spark plug and check it out.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

True, it was pretty easy changing jets and doing up the whole carb. to be honest the hardest part was pulling it out for me (choke got in the way). Anyway I'm definately thinking I shoulda gone one jet higher. The manual suggests #3 setting on the needle and 128 with an aftermarket pipe at sealevel. I shoulda just gone with my guts and gone 126 since i'm at 3500 ft. Its high, but not ridiculously high.

Cheers

Old 08-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

haha... i have become an expert on taking the carb out and putting it back in..... i can do it in 15 mins.... lol...... still a P. I. T.A.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Check out the website link below, it has test results from over 45 people who have made various carb mods on there KLX250 (8-pages long).

http://www.climbingschool.com/KLX250_Jets.pdf

Old 08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I saw that list a while ago but didnt really seem to get a very close match to my situation. I think what I really should have done was the 126 jet, and if it was still a touch lean, I'd just chnage the needle to #4 (since thats so much easier)

Damn I didn't want to take that carb out again

Quick Reply: finished the mods....but....