Finally, I get to take the bike off road!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Finally, I get to take the bike off road!!!!!!

It's been almost 2 years since I've had my bike off road. As stated in some of my other posts there is no off roading in southern wisconsin. The only time I get to go is when I truck my bike 295 miles back home to the upper peninsula of Michigan when I go on vaction to see my family. I miss the U.P. of Michigan so much. My girlfriend is not going with me this time so that allows me to take my bike. I called my cousin and he's going to take me on some really cool trails/roads/hills. Can't wait! I know some of you may not understand how excited I am becasue you may get to do this every day.

My cousin said we would not be going over 45 mph so now I'm kicking myself for never buying a 13 tooth sprocket for the front. I called the dealer today and they said Kawasaki only offers the 14 tooth as the smallest one available. I really think I should have a 13 tooth just for a little more get up and go in the hills but I'm running out of time. I leave on vaction next monday.

My bike has 2004 miles and only about 200 miles are off road. Some people may wonder why did I buy this kind of bike then. Well, this is the kind of bike I like to ride. The first time I sat on it it reminded me so much of my 1985 CR125 that I just had to have it. It was this or the DRZ400, but I just could not get past those 1980's fork boot protectors.

Somepeople might think why are you posting this. Well, I just wanted to share my excitment.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Sweet! Have fun out there gettin' dirty, KLX's make great trail bikes. Tons of good info on this board on where to get sprockets. But basically it boils down to finding a front sprocket for a Honda XR650L, or one of the aftermarket ones from Moose, Rocky Mtn, etc.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ooth-cs-24482/

Old 07-19-2011, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HeavyFuel
Sweet! Have fun out there gettin' dirty, KLX's make great trail bikes. Tons of good info on this board on where to get sprockets. But basically it boils down to finding a front sprocket for a Honda XR650L, or one of the aftermarket ones from Moose, Rocky Mtn, etc.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ooth-cs-24482/
The only place I've checked besides the dealer was dennis kirk and they don't have one. I will look at Rocky Mtn. Maybe I can get one to my house for the weekend. I will have fun out there. My klx is so clean right now it looks like it just came off the showroom floor. It needs to get dirty!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Enjoy the stoke. RMATV should get one to you quick enough. Have fun out there.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Another cheap fix that makes a huge difference in the bike's off-road ability was new handlebars. I got Tusk bars in KX-Hi from RMATV for about $30. The stock bars are just too narrow and low, that and they will bend if you look at them wrong.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I share your excitment! Thats awesome. Just one question: Did your girlfriend ride in the back of the truck? Why can't her and the bike go? LOL Ok that was two questions. hahahaha

Old 07-20-2011, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Almost all dealers should be able to order from Parts Unlimited. MOOSE Racing is a parts unlimited brand. MOOSE sells a 13 tooth sprocket specifically for the klx. Parts Unlimited is based out of Janesville so any thing you order should get there in a day or two. It only takes a day or two for me to get stuff here in Rockford. The dealers shouldn't charge you shipping either.
Look for part numbers on page 9 of this PDF.
http://assets-static.lemansnet.com/s...ts_colored.pdf

Dealer locator
Parts Unlimited Dealer Locator

These are all parts unlimited dealers near you and should be able to order the Moose sprockets.
Hope that helps.
Dan

k b enterprises
804 n main st
fort atkinson, WI 53538
ph: 920/563-6895 - 0.00mi

rock river powersports
365 e racine st
jefferson, WI 53549
ph: 920/674-9280 - 6.00mi

rob's perf. motorsports
601 hwy y
johnson creek, WI 53038
ph: 920/699-3288 - 11.50mi

foxy's cycle & ski
3212 n pontiac dr
janesville, WI 53545
ph: 608/756-3699 - 17.26mi

Old 07-20-2011, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

OH yeah , have fun up in the UP. Get that sucker dirty, and be safe.

As far as off road in your area. There are quite a few, you may have to drive a couple hours but ....... The Bucky is a Dual sport ride in Madison in the fall, not even an hour from you, there is the Leaf River DS ride down here in IL, maybe 2 hrs away from you. There is a 200 mile ride up in Wabeno WI in the spring and fall. Theilman Minnesota has two rides a year, its about 5 hrs away for me but maybe only 3 for you. Look, in my profile, at some of my threads I have started , you will see some of the rides in your area.
I'll see you out there.
Dan

Old 07-20-2011, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

The 13t will be needed off road. I ride in the U.P. as well in June a friend and I did 200 miles off road in the Barraga area. The power lines rock! In Wisconsin try the knobby ridge trail in Clark county. It is over twenty miles motorcycle only! Have fun and be safe.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
OH yeah , have fun up in the UP. Get that sucker dirty, and be safe.

As far as off road in your area. There are quite a few, you may have to drive a couple hours but ....... The Bucky is a Dual sport ride in Madison in the fall, not even an hour from you, there is the Leaf River DS ride down here in IL, maybe 2 hrs away from you. There is a 200 mile ride up in Wabeno WI in the spring and fall. Theilman Minnesota has two rides a year, its about 5 hrs away for me but maybe only 3 for you. Look, in my profile, at some of my threads I have started , you will see some of the rides in your area.
I'll see you out there.
Dan
Thanks for the info in your first post. And as far as this post, I had no idea about any of these rides. I'm originally from Michigan and lived here in Wisconsin for the past 11 years, and I don't know anybody who rides a bike like I do. I will do some research on these rides you listed when I get back from vacation on july 31st.

Last edited by 2007 Green Machine; 07-20-2011 at 04:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally, I get to take the bike off road!!!!!!