A few observations and a video

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default A few observations and a video

Yesterday was the first time ive went for a longer ride with my klx (other than around town and to work and back). I gotta say I was surprised how well I felt on the highway after hearing that this bike is generally not to good for highway cruising. I was cruising at 65 for about an hour and was fine the whole time only thing was my butt started to hurt a little (would be nice if the stock seat was a little softer).
Another thing I always hear that once you install a dynojet kit the mpg goes down, well not the case with me. Ive been getting around 60 mpg in city streets and 70 on the highway (I go 60 to 70 miles before filling up and its never taken more than a gallon to refill)
After owning this bike (my first bike) for about 8 months I can honestly say I still love it.
Here is the video
(watch it in HD) I went for a ride with my buddy from Hollywood to Malibu through some woods and canyons and then rode along the pacific coast highway to venice beach.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Cool video. Nice canyons and beach. I would like to get out there some day.
Thanks for the video.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Couple of things or observations. I would never lane split on a curved road like that, and is that a helmet cam? I don't really understand how they work, but it seems like you never move your head. If it's really a camera on the helmet then we should have see you do head checks in traffic and I didn't see that. And if you are not doing head checks, you might want to start. I never turn anywhere on any bike with out looking completely behind me by turning back to look. The video quality was awesome! I would poop myself if I had to ride in traffic like that, I'm glad I live in a one stoplight town. Hahaha Thanks man! I actually watched the whole video, and I usually don't watch anything if its longer than a minute.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I was also amazed at the lane splitting in the city...uhhhh no thanks!!!! LOL

Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

i like the all black no stickers look...i only left my kawasaki sticker on mine...similar mirror setup too...over a year and a half for me of owning the little klx250sf 'turd and i'm still loving it too...mostly used for freeway commuting for me...i've gone through too many broken cameras, so i don't film anymore, but i've shared some of my old videos again...i still prefer to share a lane through, but i take it a lot slower in passing now...riders don't like to linger between cars and rather go through quickly as possible, but i think that is when drivers get startled or change lanes without realizing a motorcycle is fast approaching...lot of my freeway riding style has changed since the videos...btw..the klx250sf has no problems cruising 80+ mph all day long on the interstate 5...

Last edited by ahnh666; 03-27-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I think this bike does great on the freeway unless there are 30mph wind gusts

Old 03-27-2013, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Warren3000
After owning this bike (my first bike) for about 8 months...I gotta say I was surprised how well I felt on the highway after hearing that this bike is generally not to good for highway cruising
Ahhh, ignorance is bliss! Just wait till you try a fully faired litre-class bike!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej: im a bit of an amateur when it comes to group rides ill try to keep the lane splitting (riding side by side right)? to a minimum, thanks for the tip. I kind of figured its not the safest to do it I just wanted to do it real quick for the camera. Its not a helmet cam im wearing a harness and the camera is mounted to my chest I do head checks when necessary.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
Ahhh, ignorance is bliss! Just wait till you try a fully faired litre-class bike!
Oh im sure they are great for long freeway rides its just that the klx was not as bad as I thought it woud be.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

By the angle of the camera it looks like it is chest mounted. Also my Hero when helmet mounted I always see some of the helmet in the widescreen view. Cool video, its been years since I have driven in LA, not sure I'd want to ride there, seems pretty scary. Years ago when I rented a Goldwing in San Fran, I was scared to death until I crossed the Golden Gate and shot up the coast to Oregon. Got my Hero 2 mostly for Snowmobiling, Love it so far and can't wait to try it on the Bikes (KLX, CRF and Valkyrie).

Quick Reply: A few observations and a video