A few more changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default A few more changes

I changed the turn signals. I like the UFO headlight's looks compared to the KLR-style stocker. Bill Blue made up the mounting kit for it, and the WER steering stabilizer we all use. Thanks, Bill!

I put on an Alaskan seat cover. Much more comfortable. I like these, I have one on my road bikes also.

I use the bombproof Wolfman bags. I have the Enduro tankbag, now for the Tool Pack.
First, I made these aluminum straps. They go on the underside of the luggage rack.

I used stainless bolts, washers and Nyloc nuts to attach the Pack's baseplate.

Holds 2 quarts worth of stuff.

The Pack attaches to the baseplate with velcro and the straps, it's really secure. The Pack is removable, while the baseplate stays on the bike.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: A few more changes

Very nice, and how come I don't remember welcoming you to the clan? Probably my Alzheimer's working over time. Welcome.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

looks good...

Old 02-18-2007, 05:09 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Nice. I have searched WER for a kit for our bike and they dont have a listing...got a part number or install procedure/pics?

Old 02-18-2007, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Bill Blue, his wife and I are using the WER on our KLX250's. It's nice to calm down the twitchy feel on the front end. Bill has fabricated the parts needed. He may offer kits if there's interest. Installation requires tapping a couple of holes in the right side of the frame, just back from the steering stem. You have to put some approx. 1/2" spacers in to lower the front fender to allow room for the WER.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice job with the Wolfman Tool bag! [sm=smiley20.gif]

I have a Pelican case sitting on the rack that I'm not in a hurry to get rid of, but the OEM tool bag (made from 100% Vinylope skin!) could disappear and I wouldn't even blink. I was thinking of replacingthe OEM bagwith the Wolfman toolbag, but the dimensions suggest that it won't fit cleanly between the rack arms, even by putting it sideways. Is there any way to take your alumin strap idea and make a raised platform tosit the Wolfman bag above the rack arms instead of between them? (Or just make the raised platform so that it extends the front of the rack?)

Alternatively, is there a way to make a mounting system that would enable you to swap the Pelican case and Wolfman bag on the rack? Now there's an interesting idea!

Dam, now I'm gonna have to put on my coat and go sit in the -14 degree garage and think about this for a while. [:@]

Old 02-19-2007, 04:13 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: YYY.GUY

Alternatively, is there a way to make a mounting system that would enable you to swap the Pelican case and Wolfman bag on the rack? Now there's an interesting idea!

I think there might be. Look carefully at the baseplate. It is a smooth heavy plastic sheet nearly covered with the "hook" portion of a velcro pad. The straps are the very common 1" web strap available by the yard at sewing centers like Cloth World. If you replaced these stock length straps with longer ones, by bolting them on the underside when you bolt through the aluminum straps, you could strap down either the Wolfman Tool Bag or a bigger case. If you securely glued a "loop" side velcro pad on your Pelican case, it would then be held just like Wolfman Bag. The baseplate would stay on the rack, but you'd have either of the containers available.

I think the first part of your question might be answered best by attaching a larger aluminum plate to the top of the rack using the underside aluminum strap method, and extending the plate as far forward as seems right to you. If you do, I recommend a plate thickness in the .080" to .125" range in a T3,T4 or T6 hardness. That would be substantial enough for carrying duffles and the like, but wouldn't add a lot of weight. Drilling a pattern of 1/2" holes along the edge would give you bungie hook points. If you went past the stock toolbag's forward edge by very much, I think I would split a length of fuel line hose and secure it over the forward edge of the plate for safety.