False Neutrals

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default False Neutrals

Since I bought my 06 I've had occasional false neutrals going from 2nd to 1st and from 1st to 2nd. I have the most problems on tight single tracks when you are in 1st and 2nd the whole time. Yesterday I was riding and hit neutral 4 times and once when I needed first gear to slow for a corner. Well I hit neutral then hit the ground HARD.

I have 11k miles on the bike so I assume the shift star is worn. Am I able to buy the upgraded shift star I have seen on the net somewhere?

I did have the helmet camera running when it happened and if you watch the whole video, you can hear me hit neutral and say a few choice words a few minutes before it happens again resulting in a dirt nap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8B7xzhLf1M

I just uploaded the video so it might be a few hours before its done processing. But this time I remembered the link

Old 05-03-2010, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

CL,

You're not alone. I've seen other threads regarding this problem, and if replacing the shift star corrects it I'd like to know.

My '07 has just under 3K on it and sometimes finding first can be a bear. Usually it's when I'm downshifting to a stop, although it's happened on the way up as well. Missing a shift on the way up is no biggie, throttle drop and try again, but on the way down it's a pain.

I always figured it was just the nature of the beast having owned other bikes with similar foibles. Kinda like driving a '74 Beetle with a manual slushbox, like stirring a bowl of half done oatmeal, wondering if you just hit 4th or 2nd (the answer usually came pretty quick).

You figure it out let us know

Old 05-03-2010, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

You can easily grind the stock star gear.

http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/shift-fix.html

Ride on
Brewster

Old 05-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah that's happened to me a couple of times over the years. No biggie...unless you are on a steep hill and you lose all your speed.....then its a big deal...LOL

Old 05-03-2010, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm getting false neutrals between all gears right now. It's a pain in the *** to be honest.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
I'm getting false neutrals between all gears right now. It's a pain in the *** to be honest.
Is your shift lever rubbing on the engine case?

Ride on
Brewster

Old 05-04-2010, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I am going to repost this same thread on thumper talk=====I swear there is a guy who sells these shift stars with the gasket. I wanna say his name is colorado kid=====but just in case it isnt him. I will find out.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
Is your shift lever rubbing on the engine case?

Ride on
Brewster
Nope. It's the shift star no doubt(I hope) Had issues with it a few thousand miles ago so I think I gotta go back in there and grind it down a bit more

Old 05-04-2010, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

BINGO

http://fourstrokeworks.biz/

click on product catalouge then motors engine maintenance tab then scroll down until you see the shift star======its 90$ us and comes with the case gasket

Old 05-04-2010, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I had all sorts of shifting woes until I started using synthetic oil, I'm at 8K mi. I still think this thing shifts like a tractor regardless.