Fair price to ask for 2006

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yorgomiami
Overall great shape. 6500 miles. Kenda 761 tires with 2000 miles but still look like new, really.

Big Gun Evo-X full exhaust. Jetted, Uni, can't remember what else. Bike runs great. I would like to sell it for no less then $2800 but wondering if that's too much to expect realistically.
Nah, not with the exhaust included .... price seems more than fair for a 2+ year old bike.

Are you in Miami??? Wanna go for one last ride in da swamp...lol.

What are you getting to replace her??

Also list on the advrider site...those folks have more money than the annoying talkers at the thumpertalk site.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:33 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgwld1
Good to know!
wink and a gum **** at ya.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Kenda 761

Originally Posted by john103
I know it is a little off base, however how do you like the kenda 761's? I was thinking about getting a set for my klx.
Love them. Great asphalt and fire road tire. 2000 miles later and they show little wear. Just don't plan on riding on thick mud with them as they do not bite like knobbies do. Very good traction on dry streets. Even leaning way over in turns they don't feel like they will loose their grip. Rain soaked streets are a different story though. Lean carefully and leave lots of room for breaking. I discovered a mall parking lot in my area where the asphalt turns to oil or maybe ice when it gets wet. Not sure if the tires contributed to the slickness but man what a blast that was. Sumo style sliding without even trying. Great for practicing all kinds of stuff.

I'm not in a huge hurry to sell the bike, I just got it in October and willing to hold out to get enough back to use for a down-payment on the bike I really want.... DR-Z400SM. Yeah baby!!!!

The KLX was to be my intro to the dual sport world. I love it but the KLX performance is a bit on the moped side for me.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

FWIW - I recently paid $2600 for my '06 with 4,000 miles on it. Perfect shape no scratches nothing (until I started riding it like it's supposed to be ridden)

Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

be warned, once you sell the KLX and get that torquey DRZ, think about what the DRZ lacks- a 6th gear. I've owned a DRZSM after selling a bike just like yours and I didn't like the 5-speed gearbox. I was always hunting for 6th. That is really it's only downfall though, besides the late 1999 styling which needs updated badly. I went back to an '09 KLX after selling my '06 DRZSM. The DRZ screams at highway speeds, tons more than any KLX. Gearing it higher eats up the torque too, did that. No more power wheelies. But that engine is so sweet. If Suzuki would update the DRZ series, adda 6th gear and update the syling they'd be selling them like hotcakes. As of now, there are still holdover 2006 bikes in dealers.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

yorgomiami,
Apparently there is a wide difference in prices around the country. . . . last July I purchased a bone-stock '06 250S with 1795 miles on it for $3400. During the entire riding season, (about 7 1/2 months here) I found only 3 '06's for sale (no '07's at all). I felt VERY happy to get one at $3400 since I did not want to spend $5000 for a new one and THEN beat it up learning how to ride off-road.
I see by your photos (now included with your post) that you have also installed handguards and an aftermarket front fender. These modifications are worth SOMETHING and you should be able to recoup some of their costs. I personally like stickers on a bike but I have to agree sith 09KLXOWNER that you have gone a little overboard. I would remove, at least, some of them.
You should monitor Craigslist listings for your town (and any nearby towns) and the classifieds in your area to see what others are selling their bikes for. Remember that the asking prices are not necessarily what those bikes are selling for. You could record the phone numbers or listing email addresses of the ads you are watching and then (when they disappear) contact the seller to find out what the actual selling price was.
Others may disagree with this approach but I'm a very frugal person and would want to see the maximum return on the sale of MY bike.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes the stickers are coming off. I've never really like them much but kept them on. The guy I purchased the bike from slapped those on. They come right off without residue. I've taken off at least 10 already (yes before the pics were taken).

Well, the DR-Z post by 09KLXOwner brings up a very good point. Most of my riding, 85% of it, is commuting. The majority of my commute is on the highway at 70mph. The KLX does surprisingly well on the slab but even with 6th gear it still screams at 8000 RPM. What worries me is what effect this has on the longevity of the little engine. I'm also constantly searching for a 7th gear on this thing.

If it's true that DR-Z's are geared even lower due to lack of 6th then I really have to rethink this. They really should add another cog for us road goers.

hmmmm maybe the Kawi Versys would be best for me.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

85% commuting at 70.....take a serious look at a used lc4 enduro or an adventure like I got....hint...hint.

I like my klx....but I luv my lc4 power plant the grin it puts on your face makes your cheeks sore.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Anyone know if the DR650 is also a screamer at 70mph? I'm sure that old air cooled has only 5 gears. The big DR has always been on my wanted list for years.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by yorgomiami
Anyone know if the DR650 is also a screamer at 70mph? I'm sure that old air cooled has only 5 gears. The big DR has always been on my wanted list for years.
I have an 06 klx250s (for sale), and an 05 dr650se.
The DR does quite well on the highway. It's tached up a bit at 80mph True GPS speed, but it'll do it all day long.

Quick Reply: Fair price to ask for 2006