Faceshield Treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Faceshield Treatment?

Does anyone know of a good treatment to make rain run off of the faceshield on a helmet? I was thinking of Rain-X, but I'm not sure if that would be the best option.

I'm on a temporary (7 months) work assignment in Oregon. I brought the KLX, and I'm not about to let a little rain "dampen" my riding. It's dark when I leave for work and it's dark when I go home (damn 12hr shifts). I've been okay so far, but when the faceshield is covered in droplets, it's just a little bit scary in the dark. I'm hoping there is an easy solution, but I don't want to compound the problem with some kind of coating that although it makes water run off, it's hard to see through.

I'm off on Sun-Mon-Tues and every other Wednesday. If any of you are in the Portland area and want to go riding, send me a PM.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Faceshield Treatment?

DO NOT USE RainX on plexiglass (regardless of whether it's coated or not), unless you want milk-colored plexiglass.

I use The Bom (www.badtothebom.com). Water just flies off. You will also be safe in using just about any good quality wax/polish. Plexus is also good stuff, as is Wax Shop's Super Glaze.

Lemon pledge does work, but needs frequent application. In fact, most of these products are more effective if you apply them weekly (except RainX, which you should NEVER apply to your helmet visor).

Or you could just move to Arizona - enjoy the ride!

Old 12-07-2007, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Mark.

(One would wonder how someone from the desert would know so many products for deflecting rain).

I'll pass on the move to Arizona, too damn hot down there. I have pretty decent riding weather year-round in Albuquerque. I'm having a fine time in the Northwest too, they have some great trail systems here. My bike is certainly enjoying the cool, damp, dense (low altitude) air. I had a little trouble making the transition from New Mexico dust to Oregon mud (I dropped the bike in a muddy rut), but the bike isn't struggling to breathe and I'm enjoying the power boost...

Old 12-07-2007, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I got it off of Wikipedia!

Old 12-07-2007, 02:32 AM

+1 on the Plexus. Thats all I use on my shields.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:31 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Most of the track time in Oregon was in the drizzle or rain and the Plexus seemed to work well.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: warski

I'm on a temporary (7 months) work assignment in Oregon.

I'm off on Sun-Mon-Tues and every other Wednesday. If any of you are in the Portland area and want to go riding, send me a PM.
what has you in the area?
I know you said 7 month but when did that start; are you going to be around until June?
after I clean you my dads car and house (flood vic's) I may take you up on that I am only 90 mins north
and the capital forest is 5 mins away from my house.
Are you stuck for the holidays?
do you need/want a home cooked meal?

Old 12-07-2007, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Wedge,

Thanks for the offer of the home cooked meal, but I'm okay. My company put me in a furnished apartment and I cook.

I'll be in the Portland area (Hillsboro) until April 21st (I've been here since the 1st of Oct). My wife will be up here for a couple of weeks over Christmas, as our daughter lives in Hillsboro.

Since you will be busy with the flood mess and the Holidays, I won't bother you until sometime next year. We should really put something together. Maybe we can get some of the other Washington guys to go too. I can put the bike in the back of the truck and head your way when you have some free time.