Experiment with Stock Snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Experiment with Stock Snorkel

ORIGINAL: cwgoff
Right now I have installed my KDX200 snorkel facing forward. My plan is to ride that way and then add the stock snorkel facing backward like others that have done the double snorkel. I had hoped to rig it up to both face forward, but I now see that there is not near the vertical clearance under the seat to allow that.
Here's what I did, cwgoff. I face both forward, stock in front, KDX snorkel behind. I cut down the stock snorkel so that it didn't impeded airflow into the KDX snorkel, but still retained a lip for some water rejection. This seems to work fine for me.

I think some of that outerwears stuff might be the way to go in the long run, though.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I know the "open airbox" crowd is reading this and saying to themselves "you guys are making this too complicated, just using the Outerwear on an open box", but I don't want to go that route yet. Until proven otherwise, I still think that a properly configured snorkel will provide (1) semi-forced air injection and (2) water protection. I think you will get more air into the airbox with a fat snorkel than with a open or cutout Outerwear-covered airbox. I just think that a lot of the air will blow right over unless something directs it down instead of back.

Yep, thats what were thinking alright.

Ok how about this. Open airbox by about 4x4 inches and screen in, use outwear instead of a screen as a covering if really paranoid. Then build a scoop out of flatstock plastic to fit over the 4x4 opening on the top of the airbox. Be easy to build and mount the scoop I would think. Nothing fancy, just a trangular piece with side measurements say 1/4 inch high in the back going up to say a inch or inch and a half in the front. Kind of like the old ram air scoops on the 70 roadrunners. You got your ckae and eating it too now. You have a nice larger opening to give the motor all the air it needs and the scoop to force it and direct it right on top of the air filter. Sounds like it would work pretty well to me. It's just my opnion now but I just dont see a moded motor getting all the air it really needs from the little scoop like the KDX model. My 2 cents....

LV

Old 09-20-2006, 10:10 PM

LV,

I like your idea. I was thinking of it in a similar way in that the scoop could sit directly over the opening with a seal all the way around. The front of the scoop could then be covered with Outerwear to protect against water ingress.

The more we all talk about this, the more good ideas I am hearing. I love it. [8D]

Old 09-20-2006, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

LV,

I like your idea. I was thinking of it in a similar way in that the scoop could sit directly over the opening with a seal all the way around. The front of the scoop could then be covered with Outerwear to protect against water ingress.

The more we all talk about this, the more good ideas I am hearing. I love it. [8D]

Well you know you can get the top of the airbox Cheaper then the KDX snorkle right. I think thru bike bandit there like 15.00 bucks and the snorkle is 25.00 bucks. It wouldnt cost that much to order one to cut up and modify and then keep the original for a kdx snorkle if you really want to. Dont know if I will go with a scoop or not yet but going to try the open airbox over the kdx snorkle myself. I will post some pics of my setup when I do it.

LV

Old 09-21-2006, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the stock snorkel removed, lid on, Uni air filter and I’m pleased with the improvement.

If anyone needs one of the KDX200 snorkels, I'm trying to sell one...

Old 09-21-2006, 01:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Man, I can't believe how much is being talked about ram air. There might be less restriction by facing forward allowing the engine to pull in the air easier.....but there is no RAM effect under there. It might even be that the air coming in from that direction has less exposure to the engine and is cooler. But no ram effect.

Did you know that most hood scoops that look like ram air don't even provide that on a car? It's just a bigger hole allowing cooler air....no ram effect......unless it is located in the COWL area or is sufficiantly high enough.