Experience with aftermarket headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Experience with aftermarket headlights?

I'm doing a project with pimping out another bike. Are headlights like this worth a damn or are they just for being legal with a headlight? Are they like those cheesey fold-out mirrors make you legal but don't really do anything?

Moose Racing Species Black Headlight - BikeBandit.com

Old 04-14-2011, 02:44 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I don't know for sure, FD, but the specs look like it's a real light. It's a full DOT rated setup with 55/55 output. My '06 is a 60/55. I doubt one would notice the difference in the high beam, and depending on the reflector design it could still be as bright or brighter. It is halogen. The low beam looks like an incandescent bulb, and I'm not too crazy about that, but perhaps the bulb holder would support a better bulb. Overall it looks good from a cosmetic perspective.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

With little to no reflector area, it will just disperse...should give you some light as it's DOT. If it's a projector type bulb, you'll get the throw somewhat but not the area coverage. Are you looking for looks or function? ('pimp; means looks to me)

Old 04-14-2011, 01:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Remember that Soundgarden song "When the forest fire is along the road like God's eyes in my headlights..."? That's the kind of light I want. I really like the light coming out of my '09 KLX. I'll live with it if I get average lighting.

I'm replacing the whole front headlight and fairing assembly on my KLR because the thing weighs a ton. What I'm doing is fitting a front end off an early 90's KX500 on it so I'll need to use an aftermarket digital speedo too.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Baja designs has a nice DOT headlight. You could also buy a DOT headlight(glass lens) and then buy an HID kit to install. The ballasts are very small and the kit is relatively cheap...maybe 40-50 bucks. I also use a hella ff50 or ff75 driving light to light up the area;with the klx400 headlight off, I use the hella which floods pretty well and punches out ahead pretty far.
I like a lot of light too so for my night woods riding, I needed a helmet mounted light to shine where I'm looking. Also needed to be independent of the bike in case of a get-off, repairs or to help others. Being an LED it doesn't kill the rechargeable I use and is very bright.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

HID kit in the stock headlight: awsome difference for $40 bucks !

Old 04-17-2011, 01:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Where are you finding that?

Old 04-18-2011, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 04-18-2011, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

TexasKawi - have you tried the one in the first link? I was toying with the idea of a brighter light, and that was the one I was looking at. The price is right, just wondering if it's a lot brighter than stock and worth the upgrade?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I have no hands on experience with aftermarket headlights but many of them look very unnatural and simply unpropotionetly large.

Personally I much prefer the original headlights as long as they are in good shape. They just look right and any aftermarket enhancements would be just messing with perfection.
That's my preference, others might have different taste.

Then there are even others who don't care much about the headlights at all as long as the tail end is good.

EMS can provide illustrations.

;-)

--
Mikko

Quick Reply: Experience with aftermarket headlights?