Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Exhausts

hehe.... thats why i never argued with him... i could have, but thats not why i am here, i just read and ignore his posts like that... [sm=type.gif][sm=smiley34.gif][sm=patriot.gif] hehe i like those things....

Old 10-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

<homer_simpson> Mmmm ... power [sm=drooldude.gif]

It is sort've addicting - ever since doing the first carb / airbox / pipe mod I've incrementally increased performance as time and money became available. One thing I do like doing is doing them incrementally so, even if I don't have dyno results, I get a pretty good feel for what each mod did. After I do the 330cc and get my pumper carb if that ever shows up, I'll see if I can get my bike dyno'd. I'm real interested to see where it is at. I really don't know what to expect, only that we supposedly started with 18 hp. I think I found a place that will do it for $35 which isn't too bad.

And on a related topic, since I really don't know, what do folks think one should expect from all those mods - pipe, jetting, crank vent, 330cc displacement, pumper carb? The jetting, pipe, airbox mods were purported to add a few HP. I don't know how much the additional displacement would increase HP, the net is about a 32.5% gain in displacement at 330cc - I have no idea if the relationship between displacement and HP is linear or not. I don't necessarily think the pumper carb will increase HP, but rather that will typically increase fuel delivery and throttle response. I do not have a gearing change, but while changing the gearing changes the torque, it does not change HP.

My goal is not to build the most powerful KLX one can build - but rather to build my perfect trail and fun bike. For that, I want to be able to roll-on the throttle and get the front end up easily with a twist of the wrist to clear trail obstacles such as logs and streams without having to pull my arms out of socket or wear out the clutch. I want to be able to launch my bike and myself off small jumps with little to no run-up. That has been the primary motivation behind my performance mods - it makes the bike more enjoyable to me. It is pretty much there with the CV carb tuned, pipe, 300cc kit, etc. But as someone said, power is something that is hard to have enough and I to me the 330cc kit and pumper carb are just two more notches in the performance dial.

And it is satisfying to me at least to DIY these mods. I didn't grow up doing this stuff - until I got this bike I'd never checked or adjusted valves before and this is definitely the first time I've done anything like replacing a cylinder and piston. It's not nearly as hard as I once thought. I've learned more about engines in the past 6 months than in my previous 40 years. I'm by no means an expert - just a dude with a service manual and a credit card - a very dangerous combination indeed.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Name:  BeatDeadHorse.gif
Views: 11
Size:  113.8 KB

Old 10-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

BOOOOO,.........Wait for it.............YAAAAAAA!!!!

ORIGINAL: cwgoff

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

I didn't say he bored his cylinders twice, I said his bike. When you go up in displacement it's called boring and that's what he has done to his bike- 2 times- maybe he didn't bore it himself but somebody has had to do it somewhere before he bought the cylinders. I just wanted to disprove that other lads rationalizations about "journey" and "potential" mumbojumbo. Brian has gone up in displacement twice for more power, there's nothing about any silly "journey" in his mind. He just wants more power. Period.
Good grief, Travis. Let it go already.

If you think everyone on here is so stupid, why do you participate? Have you "converted" anyone here yet? It's really starting to detract from an otherwise incredible resource.

None of us come here to argue. We are here to learn and share. You have shared your satisfaction with the Big Gun. -- We get it. -- We all know that you are happy with your purchase and why. You can rest assured that no one will ever buy a Muzzy and look back with regret and say, I wish someone, somewhere would have warned me about header discoloration or buddy peg interference. You have done your duty.

BTW, it doesn't make it all better when you end with something like "just my opinion lol" or something like that. If you are joking and put a smiley to make sure people know you are joking, that's one thing. If you are attacking someone and put a disclaimer on the end so you can feel good about yourself, that's another.

I don't mean to be contentious. Quite the opposite. I just wish that you would stop antagonizing anyone that happens to disagree with you on any topic. We are tired of it.

You have contributed some excellent techical points along the way, but your contentious nature is overshadowing that and marginalizing your input in general.

That's all I have to say about that.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I'm by no means an expert - just a dude with a service manual and a credit card - a very dangerous combination indeed.

Brother aint that The Truth.........

LV

Old 10-06-2006, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Yup I'm cunfused too.
The compression ratio calculation uses combustion chamber volume. Discplacement does not, "bore x stroke".
ORIGINAL: Cowboy 6

When you go up in displacement it's called boring .....

Sorry but going up in displacement is not called boring.

There are two ways to go up in displacement: you can increase bore (boring) or increase stroke. Actually if you want to get really technical, you can increase displacement by enlarging the combustion chamber also.

Thus going up in displacement simply means going up in displacement.

Old 10-07-2006, 04:20 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

<homer_simpson> Mmmm ... power [sm=drooldude.gif]

It is sort've addicting - ever since doing the first carb / airbox / pipe mod I've incrementally increased performance as time and money became available. One thing I do like doing is doing them incrementally so, even if I don't have dyno results, I get a pretty good feel for what each mod did. After I do the 330cc and get my pumper carb if that ever shows up, I'll see if I can get my bike dyno'd. I'm real interested to see where it is at. I really don't know what to expect, only that we supposedly started with 18 hp. I think I found a place that will do it for $35 which isn't too bad.

And on a related topic, since I really don't know, what do folks think one should expect from all those mods - pipe, jetting, crank vent, 330cc displacement, pumper carb? The jetting, pipe, airbox mods were purported to add a few HP. I don't know how much the additional displacement would increase HP, the net is about a 32.5% gain in displacement at 330cc - I have no idea if the relationship between displacement and HP is linear or not. I don't necessarily think the pumper carb will increase HP, but rather that will typically increase fuel delivery and throttle response. I do not have a gearing change, but while changing the gearing changes the torque, it does not change HP.

My goal is not to build the most powerful KLX one can build - but rather to build my perfect trail and fun bike. For that, I want to be able to roll-on the throttle and get the front end up easily with a twist of the wrist to clear trail obstacles such as logs and streams without having to pull my arms out of socket or wear out the clutch. I want to be able to launch my bike and myself off small jumps with little to no run-up. That has been the primary motivation behind my performance mods - it makes the bike more enjoyable to me. It is pretty much there with the CV carb tuned, pipe, 300cc kit, etc. But as someone said, power is something that is hard to have enough and I to me the 330cc kit and pumper carb are just two more notches in the performance dial.

And it is satisfying to me at least to DIY these mods. I didn't grow up doing this stuff - until I got this bike I'd never checked or adjusted valves before and this is definitely the first time I've done anything like replacing a cylinder and piston. It's not nearly as hard as I once thought. I've learned more about engines in the past 6 months than in my previous 40 years. I'm by no means an expert - just a dude with a service manual and a credit card - a very dangerous combination indeed.
And possibly a penchant for tinkering? I'm not sure which will be more rewarding for me...riding in the spring, summer and fall or tinkering in the winter?! Oh, and the credit card and manual combo?...I completely agree!

Old 10-07-2006, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DJFields

Yup I'm cunfused too.
The compression ratio calculation uses combustion chamber volume. Discplacement does not, "bore x stroke".
ORIGINAL: Cowboy 6

When you go up in displacement it's called boring .....

Sorry but going up in displacement is not called boring.

There are two ways to go up in displacement: you can increase bore (boring) or increase stroke. Actually if you want to get really technical, you can increase displacement by enlarging the combustion chamber also.

Thus going up in displacement simply means going up in displacement.
Yup! Although his point about 'stroke' was well made. When pistion is pushed into or pulled out of a cylinder, how much volume is 'displaced?' It deals exclusively with bore and stroke.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:24 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38
Yup! Although his point about 'stroke' was well made. When pistion is pushed into or pulled out of a cylinder, how much volume is 'displaced?' It deals exclusively with bore and stroke.
Agreed - I think that's how folks are going higher than 330cc on the KLX300, i.e., a "stroker" mod which I believe involves replacing the crank and perhaps piston rod to give longer travel. Stroker, Inc. use to do this mod when then were still around - in my web searching on this topic, any time I saw references to a 364cc'ish KLX, Stroker was always mentioned nearby. It's a lot more involved than simply increasing the bore size, though - splitting the case and all that entails.