Exhausting a KLX 250

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Exhausting a KLX 250

ORIGINAL: Marty

Mike,

I just got an e-mail telling me my "modified for the KLX250S" Mikuni TM33 is on it's way to me.

I'm keeping track of when the Big Brown Truck turns into my subdivision.

The mods that were done by Bill Blue make it fit right on to the KLX250S. No adaptors required. He builds up the adaptors to 34 mm in diameter and also offsets them.

If you run into trouble, here his email b_jblue@sbcglobal.net

I hope to have mine this weekend, all ready to just bolt on and wheelie!

Cool! Sounds like you found a gold mine when you hooked up with Bill. I guess if we don't hear from you till Monday, we'll know the BBT (Big Brown Truck) made it to your place before the weekend.

Maybe afterward, you and Shadetree can start the Mikuni thread, and I'll join the party after it gets going. Who knows, maybe pumper carbs will be the next great debate topic!!! (But if all three of us have Mikunis, we'll need someone to keep extolling the virtues of some other high performance brand. Anybody come to mind? )

Old 11-30-2006, 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: YYY.GUY

Mike,

I just got an e-mail telling me my "modified for the KLX250S" Mikuni TM33 is on it's way to me.

I'm keeping track of when the Big Brown Truck turns into my subdivision.

The mods that were done by Bill Blue make it fit right on to the KLX250S. No adaptors required. He builds up the adaptors to 34 mm in diameter and also offsets them.

If you run into trouble, here his email b_jblue@sbcglobal.net

I hope to have mine this weekend, all ready to just bolt on and wheelie!

Cool! Sounds like you found a gold mine when you hooked up with Bill. I guess if we don't hear from you till Monday, we'll know the BBT (Big Brown Truck) made it to your place before the weekend.

Maybe afterward, you and Shadetree can start the Mikuni thread, and I'll join the party after it gets going. Who knows, maybe pumper carbs will be the next great debate topic!!! (But if all three of us have Mikunis, we'll need someone to keep extolling the virtues of some other high performance brand. Anybody come to mind? )

Yep, he sure does, but Nobrakes is a straight-shootin' no BS kind of guy that respects your opinion.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: YYY.GUY
Yep, he sure does, but Nobrakes is a straight-shootin' no BS kind of guy that respects your opinion.
[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 12-01-2006, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

If you want a cheap, non obnoxious, no repacking required option the KLX300 exhaust fits fine so long as you get the headpipe and muffler. The headpipe is the same diameter but the exhaust has no catalytic converter in it and if you get one with a baffle you can go from an opening about the stock size up to one that is 1.3 inches in diameter and even fully open its not terrible, I'd wager its slightly quieter than the aftermarket exhausts. That's what I have on my bike, bought it used on ebay for $50 shipped, I did not get the baffle so I made my own and ran that for a while. Now I run the exhaust fully uncorked with a 1.5" downturn on the end to keep exhaust fumes away from me and the luggage rack, the stocker made my lunch container stink. If interested here are links to a video of an uncorked KLX 300 and a video I took (unfortunately at night) of my uncorked and downturned exhaust.

My Bike

KLX300

Old 12-01-2006, 02:21 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

bryantjt, i swear your bike sounds like it has a flowmaster muffler on it... a real hollow sound..... its sweet!

Old 12-01-2006, 03:27 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Shadetree glad you found the right place, I have one question are you in Cal? If so how did you get the bike there?

Old 12-01-2006, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Marty, Any luck with that HMF video. We all would love to hear how that sweet exhaust sounds!! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 12-01-2006, 06:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Hello, Deric

No. I'm not in So Cal. I live right smack in the center of Oklahoma, dead center of the USA. I have a whole world of great riding all around me, but very little actually within a reasonable drive from here. Thus, the Dual Sport.

We have been doing what I've dubbed, Alley Cat'n rides. You can read about them on rideok.com. in "Bill's Garage."

I write for the "Ride Oklahoma magazine. rideok is our website. We occasionally post short stories and pictures there. The magazine will be out in February in it's paper form. Meanwhile, check the website and "Bill's Garage" for what's happening in the Sooner state.

Shadetree

Norman, Oklahoma

2006 KLX 250
2001 Dyna Sport
2003 T 100 Bonniville
and so on.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:18 AM

Shadetree,

Have you ever run into my good friend from Oklahoma, ZRod? I do believe his home is also in Norman, OK.

ZRod rides a KLR650, called "Hoss" with a big, fat front tire and his wife Pam, rides a Super Sherpa with a big front tire.

Both are great folks, ride well and are into dualsport riding in a big way.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, Marty.
I've seen the ZROD handle before, but can't quite place it. We have an "Okie Dual Sport" website too. Maybe it was there.
If he lives in Norman, I may know him, but just not by the ZROD handle. Sounds like somebody I should know, regardless.

Give him my email if you like. bill_dragoo@hotmail.com. If he isn't hooked up with the "Ride Oklahoma" bunch, he'd probably like to be.
We have a number of KLR guys along with F 650's, KTM's and the like. I ride the smallest bike with my Tiddler of a KLX 250.

Shadetree
Norman, Ok