Which exhaust is the quietest?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Which exhaust is the quietest?

I'm leaning towards the HMF even though I love the way the Big Gun really flows with the look of the bike. HMF has the price advantage though. Decisions decisions.

I don't want loud, the quieter the better for me. Everyone seems to be happy with whatever pipe they get in terms of performance. But what about noise? Just the name Muzzy sounds loud! I want to save money with the HMF, but if it means going with something that's louder and uglier (to me uglier) than the Big Gun, I may go with the Big Gun. I am going to search for a 300 head pipe eventually, but not right away.

Tryin' not to get into which is better war, but a which is quieter.

edit: not trying to start a which is quieter "war" either!

Last edited by je2000; 08-24-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I am interested in hearing which on is at least bearable on the street as well. I have to start my bike in the driveway at 7am and don't want to **** the neighbors off.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
I am interested in hearing which on is at least bearable on the street as well. I have to start my bike in the driveway at 7am and don't want to **** the neighbors off.
You could always roll it down to the end first. Then again, the end of my driveway is a 70mph highway.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a KLX-300 muffler which was pretty good. I either sheared a bolt or it vibrated loose and caused the muffler to fall off. I was doing about 50MPH on the street with hard curbs and no shoulder so, by the time I circled back to pick it up, traffic had flattened it. I watched traffic knock it from the gutter across the road to the outer lane. I even watched one idiot in an SUV swerve to hit it.

Now, I'm in the market for a replacement. I want good exhaust flow and less noise too.

Something to keep in mind is that the mid-pipe connection to the muffler is a little different between the KLX-250S and KLX-300 so, you may want to get the muffler and exhaust pipe at the same time.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
You could always roll it down to the end first. Then again, the end of my driveway is a 70mph highway.
I don't care about the neighbors that much!!

Old 08-24-2008, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

does anyone know how 2bros exhaust will sound with the sound tip installed?? in my place the optional that available for klx250s is only 2bros exhaust...

Old 08-25-2008, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I have heard some of the hmf's and they are at least as loud as the Muzzy. If you don't put the right tip in the 2bros they are louder than the muzzy. With the right tip they are quiter than the Muzzy at lower rpms but are just as loud in the upper rpms.

I heard the fmf Q4 and they seem to be about the quietest that I have heard. Get the slip on now and add the power bomb header later.

If you want quiet than keep the stock exhaust, anything over that is going to be loud imo.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like this without the quite tip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=586jT3vvur0

Old 08-25-2008, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I am leaning toward the fmf q4 myself. From all that i've read I think it may be one of the quieter of the bunch. This got me wondering about the power difference of the different mufflers. Generally the quieter, the more restricted = less power. Has anybody noticed any differences between the aftermarket mufflers as far as power?

Old 08-25-2008, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
I am leaning toward the fmf q4 myself. From all that i've read I think it may be one of the quieter of the bunch. This got me wondering about the power difference of the different mufflers. Generally the quieter, the more restricted = less power. Has anybody noticed any differences between the aftermarket mufflers as far as power?
It all depends what other mods, altitude, jetting, airbox...etc. Hard to get any real numbers, but I think most people are happy with what they've got. I'm leaning away from the HMF because apparantly you have to send it in to repack. Blah...maybe the FMF can and FSW header might be better for me....

Quick Reply: Which exhaust is the quietest?