Exhaust question. (not the usual one)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Exhaust question. (not the usual one)

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy
this answer is biased, but there have been factual dyno postings on here that show a full BigGun EvoX makes more horsepower than any other exhaust with the stock 250 bore, actually against a Muzzy.
I think that's a bit of a mis-statement because while there was a 0.5 HP difference between the two, what you aren't reporting is that the Muzzy bike was struggling with jetting issues at the time and the dyno clearly showed that. On the other hand, the Big Gun bike's jetting was dialed in very well. So I wouldn't draw the same conclusion unless the jetting issues were fixed.

Heck, after I adjusted the jetting on my bike I got a 4.5 HP increase as reported by the same dyno, same operator. Of course, that also included a change in rear tire but you already said I was FOS and compared me to your alcoholic friends when I mentioned the rear tire as a possibility for the low initial reading. And the only other thing I changed was the jetting, so my 4.5 HP increase had to be from the improved carb jetting, right? So based on your own logic, Tony's bike can easily see a 0.5 HP improvement after straightening out his jetting issues.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member

The engine temp (of the actual engine, not ambient air) can have alot to do with dyno readings also. Need to make sure its consistant run to run.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:22 PM

[/quote]

LOL, I think my post speaks for itself. The seach function is always available to the reader.
[/quote]

Wow a new feature, how do we use the Seach function and what does it do, sounds intriguing? Seriously guys whats going on? This forum was the most friendly, well behaved forums that I have ever seen. No flaming, guys speaking negative or anything, lets get along like we did in the good old days. Come on you both are some of the original posters on this board. Speaking of original poster what ever happened to BMW guy? The moderator who posted all the stickies, he was an excellent guy and helped me alot on all my original modifications. Did he sell the bike?

Old 02-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy
LOL, I think my post speaks for itself. The seach function is always available to the reader. Seems we just can't get along NB. You've always got some excuse or theory why something doesn't go your way or doesn't agree with your point of view. It's okay, it's human nature to try to convince. Also, I would never compare you to "my alcoholic friends". I don't know what I said, nor do I really feel like researching to find out. I take it you don't have any "alcoholic friends" eh? I don't have any stereotypes about alcholics. I just report what I see. Don't speak of alcoholics like it's an infection to have one as a friend. Frankly, I have never did any drug in my life and I do not drink. A police polygraph will back that up. I would venture to guess you do have friends who are alcoholics. It's okay, they're people too. As far as the dyno run I was talking about, the BG makes more power. But of course, you say it was spot on dialed in and the Muzzy equipped bike was not even close. Well that makes sense, since you have a Muzzy. Maybe you think my post was a mis-statement, it's all I spoke of. You claim that it's me that likes to start these stupid exhaust debates. Well my friend, you are guilty this time. Oh, thanks for all the info you provided yesterday. Seems you were having a better day huh?
Here it is, Post #42:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_961..._3/key_/tm.htm

You said:

I work with addicts and alcoholics (alcoholics don't think they're addicts because they just "drink alcohol and don't do the hard stuff" thus don't like being called addicts- go figure), but there is a word that describes these people's stories a lot- it's called rationalization. First you say your tire's flexing since it's a ****. now you're saying that even though the other two were using knobbed tires (you're probably pissed i asked the question and brought that one up), their specific tire works better than yours does on a dyno, but "do admit that their tire is still probably not optimal for dyno purposes" and thus this is why your number is just 1 horsepower over Tony's with the BigGun. A little contradictory imo.

All this in relation to me attributing my low dyno run to my aggressive knobbie TrakMaster-II tire in combination with my poor jetting at the time. And you said I was rationalizing like a drug addict or alcoholic. Recently, I addressed both of those issues and performed another dyno run with no other changes and it showed a 4.5 HP improvement. Same dyno, same operator. Not only did other experts say that a knobbie will show a low dyno result, but when I asked the dyno operator when I took my bike back for the 2nd run, he said, and I quote: "Yeah, that knobbie was bouncing around like crazy.".

I could go on with the rest of the post but that's sufficient. No, I doubt we'll ever be friends - history cannot be denied nor retracted. Regarding my helpfulness, I'll lend a hand to anyone who needs it or asks if I can. You have your moments and in your moments of lucidness I have no beef with you but I generally remain wary that your demeanor may change at any moment.

Personally, I don't drink or smoke or anything else. My main vice is coffee, but I can do without it in a pinch.

And about your conclusion above, I'm not trying to start anything. On the contrary, I just don't think you can claim one makes more power over the other with the little bit of data that we have. Only 1/2 HP seperated them but only one of the bikes was jetted well and as you said the other wasn't even close. I just don't see how that is even remotely conslusive. It's insulting to me for you to say that I say that because I own a Muzzy. The pipe I own doesn't at all change the data. But past history shows that you jump on any little thing that remotely shows what you want to be true and you cherry pick just those aspects while ignoring all other contextual information.

Anyway, I was just trying to point out the rest of the data that you didn't when drawing your conclusion and repeating here to others that might not be aware of the rest of the context that data point came from. But to be honest, I really don't care which one gives a 1/2 HP more. It's just not that important. Most of us would benefit more by dropping a few pounds around the waistline than worring about 1/2 HP gain or loss. And while I've got the big bore, the pumper, and all that, contrary to what most folks might think, I'm NOT a power freak. I just want my bike to be (more) fun and those things are what did it for me. If I was a power freak I think we could all agree that I would have been much better to buy a different bike. But that's not me - I like my KLX just fine.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't care what the dyno says, I think the bigmuz is a much better pipe than the gunzy any day of the week.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k1w=no$

I don't care what the dyno says, I think the bigmuz is a much better pipe than the gunzy any day of the week.
Whoa there!!!! heh heh heh
I'm in one of those moods where I could really start stiring the pot.......[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Nahh, I'll just crawl back into my hole.........

Old 02-03-2007, 01:20 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot
I'm in one of those moods where I could really start stiring the pot.......[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Nahh, I'll just crawl back into my hole.........
Me thinks you might be chuckling to yourself about us debating 1/2 HP meanwhile you have to be careful and don't twitch your throttle hand lest you loop your RMZ250

Old 02-03-2007, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Why oh why does it always end up in a "my pipes better then yours" shouting match?

I deliberatly avoided asking which system,

Just wanted to know the effect on low end torque when adding a bigger diameter header.

Oh well. It's like running with scissors. It's seems like fun until some one loses an eye.

And another thing. I don't have a drinking problem.

I drink, get drunk and fall over.
It's no problem.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question. (not the usual one)