Exhaust question. (not the usual one)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:12 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Exhaust question. (not the usual one)

This seems like a good deal for the HMF....$228 otd and it includes the quiet core insert.....anyone know if its the right part number for our bikes? (havent gotten a reply from asking the seller yet for verification)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...;rd=1&rd=1

Old 02-01-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like the right pipe.
I believe I was the first one on this form to do the HMF slip-on, and must say, I am extremely pleased.
I paid $240 directly from HMF. Included, quiet core, spark arrester, shipping, and a t-shirt.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, This may be the way I'm gonna go too. I figure with the money I save for the slip-on, I'll be able to do some other low cost mods and end up at the same spot pretty much.
If you really don't gain a tremendous amount of ponies from a full VS. slip-on application, why go through the extra effort. Just my 2cents............and by the way----Is it imperative to re-jet if only using a slip-on, or are the two different animals for different reasons............
Sorry to jump in on the thread, but it is on-topic...................
Dave-

Old 02-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Yea you should still rejet.... i paid alot more for my big gun system..... [>:]

Old 02-01-2007, 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: double d6

Yeah, This may be the way I'm gonna go too. I figure with the money I save for the slip-on, I'll be able to do some other low cost mods and end up at the same spot pretty much.
If you really don't gain a tremendous amount of ponies from a full VS. slip-on application, why go through the extra effort. Just my 2cents............and by the way----Is it imperative to re-jet if only using a slip-on, or are the two different animals for different reasons............
Sorry to jump in on the thread, but it is on-topic...................
Dave-
Dave, the full system is really not much more effort than the slip on, but it is quite a bit more expensive. Either one only takes about5 or 10 minutes to install. Many of us went for the full system before the slipon was available. Just a clear case of impatience and uncertainty if a slip one would be offered. In addition to these factors, there is/was a fairly large contingent of folks that felt like the stock header was a big part of the problem. As the slip-ons became available, we have seen that you can still get most or all of the benefit from a slip on that we enjoy with our full systems. I guess that would imply that the header diameter is not as big a deal as many of us originally thought. Who knows?

I love my Muzzy, but my advice to you is to get the HMF based purely on the cost savings. If you go that route, you don't need to bother with fabbing up a headshield on your header pipe since you will keep your stock one (I assume) and you can take the money you save and put it towards some other mods.

Neil, if you are looking for something to do with the money you save,you can buy the Kasey Chambers Carnival CD and send it to me.

Does Staintune make a slip on or is their product only available in a full system. What little bit I have heard of their systems is extremely positive.

Regards,
Chris

Old 02-02-2007, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

[/quote]

Neil, if you are looking for something to do with the money you save,you can buy the Kasey Chambers Carnival CD and send it to me.

Does Staintune make a slip on or is their product only available in a full system. What little bit I have heard of their systems is extremely positive.

Regards,
Chris
[/quote]

Sure I'll get you the Kasey Chambers CD.

I'll have to go in disguise to avoid being recognised but I'll help a brother out.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Guys, I think you might be steering him the wrong way. He said he already has the 300 kit installed, look at any klx300 site and a very major problem with the 300 is the head pipe, a lot of people only change the head pipe not the muffler. Now the klx250 head pipe is basically the same head pipe as the 300, so people going to the 300 kit will experience the same problem as the klx300 owners had from the start if they don't change the headpipe. The muffler should also be changed due to the cat conv. (and also weight savings). My opinion is that anyone that is planning to install the 300 kit should also be going with a full system. People that are going to leave displacement at 250 will be fine going with a quality slip on.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:00 AM

I have the staintune muffler, but will install the header when I get the 330cc upgrade.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:29 PM
1st Gear Member

mmmm OK

I think I'm going for the full system.
I have read that opening up the exhaust is great for power at high revs. But at what cost?

I'm reasonably sure that is the case with carbs.
Go too big and it's great at high revs, maximum air flow, but you lose low end grunt.

From what I can gather from this forum, the klx250 is so strangled that a full system is the way to go. (You lose nothing at any point in the rev range)
And given that I have the 300 kit it's a no brainer. Full syetem is all good.

Does anyone have an alternate view?

Old 02-02-2007, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Good choice, Neal.
As the displacement increases, the head-pipe becomes more of a factor. It is pretty much right-sized for 250cc but once you start bumping up the cc's the best coice is to go with a full system. That's one thing that's good about the Staintune system, because you can buy the slip-on, then pickup the the large bore head-pipelater-on when you slap-on the 300-330cc jug and piston. The increased displacement will offset any potential loss inlow-end torque anyhow.

I just went witha full system from the git-go because I knewI would eventually begoing with a large bore kit.Besides,I don't seem to notice any loss of torque...maybebecauseof the awesome response of the pumper carbI think that other people who have full exhausts on the 250 will tell you that the loss of low-end torque is barely noticable...if at all.

ORIGINAL: neilaction

mmmm OK

I think I'm going for the full system.
I have read that opening up the exhaust is great for power at high revs. But at what cost?

I'm reasonably sure that is the case with carbs.
Go too big and it's great at high revs, maximum air flow, but you lose low end grunt.

From what I can gather from this forum, the klx250 is so strangled that a full system is the way to go. (You lose nothing at any point in the rev range)
And given that I have the 300 kit it's a no brainer. Full syetem is all good.

Does anyone have an alternate view?

Quick Reply: Exhaust question. (not the usual one)