exhaust question (dont kill me!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: exhaust question (dont kill me!!!)

so basically ive got that big gun is quality stuff... and looking at it, it looks like it comes jet hot coated? or did you get that done after you bought it?

just saw the thread about the HMF pulling apart also... that does not look good.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Yup, my HMF is pulling apart...but big gun's used to be notorious for much worse than that (check out http://biggunexhaust-test.com). Despite the problem (if they fix it, that is), I'm very happy with the horsepower to dollar spent ratio on the HMF, especially since the difference between a slip-on and full system is only about1hp.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

My HMF

Ups:
Cheap. I think it was a tad over $200.
Incredibly easy install. True slip on.
Definitely increased performance. Nice kick at 6000rpm+
Revs so much smoother when you wring its neck to redline.
Absolutelyincredibly intoxicatingsound. Although it makes a Kawi sound somewhat like a Honda.
Looks great.
Makes a fun bike even more funner!
No passenger footpeg issues.

Downs:
Had to use a 1/4"spacer(not really a big deal at all).
Exhaust leak at the header pipe joint. Had to use exhaust sealer(not too happy about that).
I wish I spent the extra $20 to get the polished version.

Would I do it again? Probably. Mostly for the lack of anythingmuch better. The only issue I have is the exhaust leak. I'm not really crazy about the looks of the Two Bros, I like the HMF look better. I think it has more of a dirtbike look to it. I love the looks of both the Muzzy and the Big Gun but the long wait, the price, and the lack of a true quiet core were the disqualifier.

It seems like there is always some issues with every pipe. The High MountTwo Brothers that I got for my VFR800Fi back in '98 had issues too. Contrary to what they stated, I had to drill a hole in the subframe to install it. I was not pleased about that.

The only pipe that I had no issues whatsoever for any bike is my Jardine RT-One for my CBR600RR.Beautifully made, sounds incredible, fit perfectly with no leaks or issues whatsoever. The customer serviceis excellent and the engineers answered allmy questions promptly by email. If Jardine made a pipe for the KLX, I would have gotten it in a heartbeat.

Name:  2005_08282007_0811003.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  81.2 KB

Old 08-14-2007, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fireroad

Yup, my HMF is pulling apart...but big gun's used to be notorious for much worse than that (check out http://biggunexhaust-test.com). Despite the problem (if they fix it, that is), I'm very happy with the horsepower to dollar spent ratio on the HMF, especially since the difference between a slip-on and full system is only about1hp.
Really?

I was under the impression that the KLX's punny header held back a tonne of performance.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Well think what you want but ill tell you what i know.... i have like 5,000 miles through my big gun.... overall eh, i guess im ok with it, the ones made in 2006 were ceramic coated, the ones they are making now are not, they are just stainless, so they are the same as the muzzy system now, so now the difference between muzzy and big gun are looks, they are the same thing. I know this cause i talked to the owner and creator of Big Gun on the phone. Im not happy with how the vortex insert is designed, over winter im going to get the quiet core and repack again, i have repacked it once. I spray my bike off after every dirt ride, but dirt still collects on the pipe, probably once a year it needs taken off and polished.....
Name:  pipe003.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  104.0 KB

Name:  pipe002.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  112.4 KB

after polishing...

Name:  ppipe002.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  146.4 KB

Name:  ppipe003.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  116.5 KB

Wait, the new ones arent ceramic coated so you wont have to "polish' it if you geta big gun, its just gonna be stainless.... and Let me make this clear... MY OPINION- if your racing you could use a full system with the bigger header, but im betting you wont notice a difference between a slip on and a full system, thats just like mandrel bent exhaust for say my truck, if i was racing i would wanna squeeze every single hp out of it i can, but we arent racing this bike. Patrick the producer of dirt bike tv was gonna give me his Muzzy system, long story short, i gave it to nate, (digitaloverkill) He was getting rid of the bigger header to go back to stock header for more torque, with the two bros carbonslip on, he said he could really feel the torque difference. Soooooo if i were todo it again, id probably get a slip on- two bros to be exact, the reason i got the big gunis because it was the only exhaust i didnt have to wait for at the time... muzzy was back ordered, and noone made a slip on yetfor it.... there ya go.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:08 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sinkoman

Really?

I was under the impression that the KLX's punny header held back a tonne of performance.
The puny header and slip on combomay actually have better low end torque than the full systems. It probably gives up a horse or two on the top end however.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

thank you ems for your post...

and i did not know that the stock header with slipon would have better low end torque...thats interesting.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

No problem man, thats what this site is about, learning from others mistakes.... lol....

Old 08-14-2007, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

ORIGINAL: sinkoman

Really?

The puny header and slip on combomay actually have better low end torque than the full systems. It probably gives up a horse or two on the top end however.
Huh, didn't know that.

Will the FSW header fit the Muzzy silencer? With this newfound knowledge of superior low end on an aftermarket slip on and stock header, i'm now thinking about just shelling for a Muzzy slip on, and then dropping a FSW header into it if it turns out that i'm not happy with the performance.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Call Jerry over at FSW. He modified my FMF Q2 slip on to work with his head pipe and he did it for free.

Quick Reply: exhaust question (dont kill me!!!)