Exhaust Mod *Update* Pics and Audio

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Exhaust Mod *Update* Pics and Audio

Hey, yet another mod in the search for semi uniqueness, as well as being semi functional. With running the exhaust open I was getting black crud on the rear fender from the back of the muffler out. Rather than dish out $2-$500 for an aftermarket pipe which extends slightly further I decided to "fix" mine. Parts required were, don't laugh, a 1 3/4" exhaust down turn and a 3 1/2" ceiling junction box cover plate. Our Campbell Hausfield flux cored wire feed welder only has a high and low heat setting and adjustable feed rate. On high it had great penetration but I don't have much practice welding and ended up burning through the pipe a couple times. So once I had 4 good solid tack welds I went with it on low and just sealed the seam between the pipe and plate. The weld bead is very ugly but I think once I paint it all black it won't stick out so bad.

******Update******

Here are the new pics and a short video file. This is with just the extension on, no other baffling involved.

The video is 9mb because if I use Windows Movie Maker to compress it the audio gets a bit fuzzy and its already digital camera quality so....

video

Old 09-15-2006, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Blackening Fender Solved (AKA Extension)

Hey can you take a close up picture, I am trying to see the junction box and cant quite make it out.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Junction box cover, silver piece behind the pipe on the cap of the muffler. BTW all "machining" was with a hacksaw, drill press, and dremel tool. What do you do when you don't have a 1.25" drill bit? Why you hack it out with a dremel cut off wheel and round the edges with a grinding stone. Same thing for trimming the outer edge down a good half inch on all sides as well.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Rode to work today, I like how it sounds! At the higher rpm's with no restrictions it was fairly obnoxious and very sharp sounding. With the extension on, it sounds about the same at idle but through the rev range its much mellower, not much quiter but sounds more like a street exhaust. I don't notice much if any power difference between having no restriction and having this setup on. If anything it has a slight bit less off idle but when I had traction it would still loft the front fairly easily across the waterholes on the trail today.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Updated pics and a video clip in first post. BTW in the video I ran it up to 6K on each straight section and at the end is everyone's favorite the 2-4-6K neutral test.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:11 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow man that sounds really good - good job. I must that that it looks pretty wild, though. A most definite sound improvement for sure!

Old 09-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Exhaust Mod *Update* Pics and Audio

sounds good... to me sounds like a quad, almost kinda has the flowmaster hollow sound, because theres no baffles... [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 09-19-2006, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Well technically there are still the internal baffles and spark arrestor I just don't have any external baffles, just the 1 3/4" pipe.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Ya got the mad max thing going on....I like it. Sounds good too.