Exhaust Cam Journal Wear

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

ha ha... me too. AP/AI for 40+ years. did time in a 145 engine shop... taught 147 for over 20 years. private SEL SES since '74... 160hp PA 18 on Edo 2000. aircraft all day, every day. but... grew up is rural AK... fix it or walk, and thats why I know the old ways. there was a time when every engine was built by hand by one guy... I studied that stuff. ps... I went to school too.. AAS,BST, MS

Last edited by dogmeat; 05-02-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dogmeat
ha ha... me too. AP/AI for 40+ years. did time in a 145 engine shop... taught 147 for over 20 years. private SEL SES since '74... 160hp PA 18 on Edo 2000. aircraft all day, every day. but... grew up is rural AK... fix it or walk, and thats why I know the old ways. there was a time when every engine was built by hand by one guy... I studied that stuff. ps... I went to school too.. AAS,BST, MS
Well dogmeat ya got me beat. IA/A&P regional carriers at first, then 5 years up in Barrow, North Slope Search & Rescue, Bell 214s, 412s KingAir and a Lear 31A, then Alaska Airlines Avionics, but after 7 years had to move on, grave yards will kill ya if done too long. Got me one of those fancy college degrees too. Now? Just enjoying life ... and working ........... on my Kawi !!!

Old 05-02-2019, 08:50 AM
1st Gear Member

ha ha... good on ya. I'm AK for life come good & bad, big city boy, Anch, FbKs, Juneau, & Homer since 1950. semi retired from teaching, semi retired from mech...they won't leave me alone

Old 05-04-2019, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

cap is looking good, one spot left. oil clearance is .004 Limit is .0059 or .006 in my book. head looks almost the same but its gunna hit 5 thou by the time I am done. Maybe less. Cant decide if I want to mess with the IN journals and do the cap with a surface plate. My buddy has a surface plate and he said he can make a round lapping tool at .904" Right now the intake cam and journals are perfect so there is that to consider.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member

kool. yer gonna win... **** the naysayers

Old 05-04-2019, 05:53 AM
1st Gear Member

oop... guess I can't say fork

Old 05-04-2019, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

looks like oil starvation to me. common on the KLR. I fixed a few, mostly by replacing the head but it is also possible to hand fit a cam... done a couple of those too. I have smoothed down the roughest spots with sand paper taped to the cam, then lapped fine with compound on the cam. to keep things in line you have to do both journals. then, to bring the clearance back I ran the caps on a surface plate to remove some of the parting surface. that makes the arc of the circle a little out of whack, so then some more lapping on the cam to the cap. repeat until you make the clearances. if you don't have a surface plate use a piece of glass & sandpaper. and BTW, this is easier to do with the valves out. check the shim thickness & see how much room there is to work with (like, is there a small enough shim to make valve clearance when you are done) you may need to tip the valve (grind) to give a decent service life
Agreed, I had that happen to my KLR650. These guys can restore the head. They build up the missing material with a tig welder, then line bore the journals just like Kawasaki did. Not cheap, but cheaper than replacing the head (unless you can find a good used head).

ENGINE DYNAMICS

Running on low oil is death to these Kawasaki engines. The KLR is splash lubricated and the right, front cam is last in line to get oil. I haven't had my KLX engine apart yet, but I am sure there are similarities.

This is what my KLR cam journal looked like when it happened to mine.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

the KLR is pressure lubed on the top end... an oil galley in the case feeds a steel line up the back of the cylinder. it ties to the intake cam boss with banjo fittings. the copper colored pipe is the passage from intake side to the exhaust cap. the cams are hollow.... plugs in the right side and the gears cover up the left side. thats how oil gets to the right side journals. and ya.... they are the last place in line to get oil pressure, and the first to lose it when the oil is low. the Exhaust side is the most at risk. the KLX head is a better design with passages direct to journals & does not depend on filling the cams

Old 05-05-2019, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

the KLR is pressure lubed on the top end... an oil galley in the case feeds a steel line up the back of the cylinder. it ties to the intake cam boss with banjo fittings. the copper colored pipe is the passage from intake side to the exhaust cap. the cams are hollow.... plugs in the right side and the gears cover up the left side. thats how oil gets to the right side journals. and ya.... they are the last place in line to get oil pressure, and the first to lose it when the oil is low. the Exhaust side is the most at risk. the KLX head is a better design with passages direct to journals & does not depend on filling the cams
Can't call it pressurized since there is no oil pump.

Glad to hear the KLX has a better design though.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Quick Reply: Exhaust Cam Journal Wear