EVS Vision Knee Braces ? Good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default EVS Vision Knee Braces ? Good choice?

I own a set of ALPINESTARS Bionic MX Knee Protectors which are good but, they just aren't working out for me. If my knee goes straight into a rock, I'm sure these would work out very well. However, I'm riding in rough rocky terrain and when I fall into a rut or "bounce" through rocky ledges I tend to fall over. I generally don't trap my legs under the motorcycle but, it has happened a few times. I really need something stronger and better to prevent a busted knee. Something comfortable to walk in is important too!

http://www.evs-sports.com/store/?cat...=1&item_id=118

I have been looking at the EVS Vision Knee Braces. My local accessory place has these on sale for $150 so, I'm tempted to get them. Are they a good choice for technical riding in tough terrain (currently at the limit of my skill level)?

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2009, 05:36 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

For $150 looks like a good deal considering the price of most other knee braces, most knee injuries are of the twisted variety, as in sticking your foot in a rut. If these are true braces they should help protect against that. Knee braces are a great investment if you can afford them and especially if you have bad knees like I do. Not the most comfortable things to walk in but thats a small price to pay for avoiding an injury that could lay you up for weeks or require an operation.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member

They look nice and very functional.

I had read that Knee Braces can do more harm than good, unless you need them.
I do not have any substance to back up what I am saying here. I have heard that Pads are better unless you need the braces.

Anybody? Please weigh in here. Is this a wife’s tale?

I am all about protection. So don’t want to discourage it…
Thanks.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Their a good brace for the money,retail 250.00 for your riding. Any brace that limits hyperextension is the only way to go. Been sponsored by EVS for years and they have great customer service. Having 5 knee surgeries I use a custom cti2 brace and if my foot gets planted wrong in a rut my knee still pops out and back in. Always have to tighten them up through the day.

Slap is right, sometimes they do more harm than good if you have prior problems. (without braces your knee is used to moving around. With the braces on your knee is kept compacted withing the brace,limiting movement to prevent injury. If that makes sense.) My knee actually hurts more after riding mx. But I don't have a choice not to wear them.In my opinion the asterisk cell is the best out there but pricey.