Everyone in the NORTHEAST

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Everyone in the NORTHEAST

+1 on the Kenda 760 Trakmaster II tires. I used my new set when I was riding with Divodave and they ROCK on the soft stuff!!

Can't say enough about bringing water with you.... Even in the winter we have camelbacks... Its often a LONG way back to the parkinglot.....

Old 04-26-2007, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Are the tires really that much of an issue?, I currently have stock and was going to buy irc gp1 as my next set. Will I get left behind with these tires.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the list, Patrick, very useful, except for that green paint item, no need for that but I give you permission to photoshop all photos of my bike to green. Besides, variety is the ****e of life and I'll be charging $5 per ride on orange and maybe I'll be able to recover some gas money for the trip up from NC.

Only a month away now ... can't wait!

P.S. - Dirtsurfer, hope the bike is treating you well.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Shoot, if I could touch the ground on it a $5 ticket for a spin around the lot would be well worth it. Although that $5 ticket could very easily end up costing someone a few thou after riding the mean gr...orange machine.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

the one concern i have at this point is the gas situation. with clarke not coming thru with this tank in time we'll have to take mileage into consideration. i'm betting that i get no much more that 75-80 milesper tank.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

im gettin 70 miles b4 reserve at this time.. maybe we can set something up with having at least one person trailering their bike to the trailhead and hauling gas cans with them?

Old 04-27-2007, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

awsome link for everyone to check out. gas stations by zip code and prices.

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gassta...=&src=Netx

Old 04-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: digitaloverkill

awsome link for everyone to check out. gas stations by zip code and prices.

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gassta...=&src=Netx
Wow that was the coolest and fastest way to see how much the gas companies are ripping us off. It listed the three gas stations in my town. Diesel is actually cheaper than reg gas for once in 2 years. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa[:@][:@][:@] $3.029 a gal. !!!!! When I bought my truck 5 years ago, diesel was $1.38 a gal, and reg gas was $1.60 a gal. Supply and demand I guess. They have the supply and demand that we pay through the nose. Glad I only have the 2 mile commute to work. Now if it would stop raining for 2 minutes I could get on the green machine and save even more money. But its not looking very good for the next week.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: plameau

Sup guys, sorry I dont get a chance to post much. But the ride is comming up. I am out in the Pine Barrensevery few weeks or so and I'm getting pretty familliar with the area. Here is a lits of thingswe should do to prepare.

1. TIRES. if you have the stockers you will hate it. The best I have found for the money that are D.O.T. are the kenda Track Master 110/100-18 or the 120/100-18, the Dunlop 120/9018 is also a good tire.
Tire Pressure, 15 front 13-14 rear. We havetools, pumps, tubes and patches for trailside flats.
2. WATER please bring a camelbak. You can get cheap ones at wally (Backpack with bladder) for 20 bucks. Your lunch will be along for the ride in this as well in this pack.
3. WATER Please read #2 again. I cant stress this enough.
4. GAS. Bring at least 1-5 gallon jug per bike with your name on it. There is no gas station nearby.
5. CASH have a few bucks in your pocket. There is abreakfast jointwe will be going to that does not take visa. Also have some cash to give the loser that will be running to town to fill your gas can.[sm=gears.gif]
6.RADIO it will be a good idea to bring a radio, A cheap cobra or Motorolia from walmart (Please dont use VOX)you can get an earbud and push to talk mic pretty cheap. They come in 2 packs so split them with a buddy. (Learn how to use it.) It really comes in handy to know about the big root in the trail or lame ATV rednecks blasting your way.
7. GPS if you have one bring it. So if you get away from the group you can find your way back to camp. Its a big place and easy to get lost and run out of fuel. This is where #6 comes in handy.[sm=helpout.gif]
8. AIR FILTER I will be cleaning my airfilter every night. Its dirty and sandy out there plus 15+ bikes in a row can kick up alot of dust. If you use regular dino oil bring a small container to put a little gas in. If you use no-toil all you need is water.
9. GOGGLE Bring a soft rag or goggle wipes so you can clean your goggles, it can get real dusty and this comes in handy. Also if you have spare goggles or lensesthrow one in your backpack.(NO TEAROFFS we cant litter the froest[sm=smiley21.gif]) No fog and rain x is a huge help here.
10.CHAIN LUBE we will be pushing 300-400 miles so our chain will need some love[sm=love.gif]. Plus throwing the cans in the camp fire makes for great fun![sm=devilgrin.gif]
11. OIL change our oil and filter before the ride, and bring a little extra. We tend to run the motors at High rpm's out there and burn a little oil.
12.HAND GAURDS When you dump the bike(Yes you will dump it) the bar will drop 8-10" into the sand, this will curl your levers like a pretzel. It always seems to happen the first 10 min into the ride. So if you can throw on a set of wraparound hand gaurds or have spare levers.
13.SHORTS if you have padded bike shorts bring em! also the big bottle of [sm=hail.gif]goldbond[sm=hail.gif]!
14. GREEN PAINT. This is to change the color of orange,or yellow bikes to the proper color!
15. SPARK ARRESTOR. have your sparky and quiet core in![sm=badbadbad.gif]
16. INSURANCE card and emergency contact #s.[sm=outcold.gif]we all need to keep them on us and in the same place, like the tool pouch.
17. SAG set your rear sag at 110-115mm this greatly improves how the bike handles in the sand. Make sure your rebound is not to tight. you will pack up in the long whoop sections.
18. SNACKS its a good idea to have some energy bars,trail mix or jerky.

If we all do this we should have a great ride. Please spend an evening going over your bike to check for loose/missing bolts. Tighten your spokes and zip ty or tie wire them at the crossing points (If you break a spoke it can pop a tube or put an eye out!)

Just make sure we check everything so we dont have watch No-Brakes spin T handles.

Jimmi will have a little meeting on sat morning to go over things to keep your eye on. as well as some pointers for sand riding.

Feel free to add to this list.

Great list, I think #'s 9 & 10 are a little conflicting though
I use tear offs, I just replace it at the end ofeach day, & off course I dispose of my trash properly [sm=devilangel.gif]

19, Bug repellent & tick tweezers. I picked up a tick last Saturday, didn't see the bastard until Monday. (best toremove thembefore 36 hours passes)
http://www.scs-mall.com/tick-remover...?number=PTRC2M
I have a couple ordered & at the end of the day will remove ticks for $5 each [sm=drlove.gif],
However,for thenether regions you can rent the tweezers and an alcohol wipe for $10 [sm=oopssign.gif].

20. For sore bottoms, massage oil & a buxom Swedish masseuse to apply it and work out those "knots"[sm=signs007.gif]

Old 04-28-2007, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

So who's supplying the masseuse?

Quick Reply: Everyone in the NORTHEAST