Everyone in the NORTHEAST

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Everyone in the NORTHEAST

i hope to be out there. the first time doin one of these events. dont know much bout my bike other then reading the topics. right now the bike is bone stock, looking to get it jetted, k&n air filter, and deff a full exhaust. im prob going to be the youngest one out there. any tips on what i should pack to bring? and whats the regulations for ridin in the pine berrans cause i also have a 96 honda 250 r enduro that the guy before me used to ride up there. its got a k&n, jet kit and a honda off road tip. deff interested in coming out and riding with everyone.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5167/31E6515233964C799304259BB7BBAAB8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-25-2007, 06:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmmmmm........I'm considering this trip, my girl is going to see her parents for Memorial Day weekend........it looks like 1,100 miles from Jupiter, Florida.....is that right? EMS did hike it down to Tally for the tour. Or.....Should I just run a-muck in the Ocala National Forest?

Old 04-25-2007, 07:21 AM
1st Gear Member

age? who cares about age!!! don't let that worry you. this is about RIDING... i ride with guys 10 yrs olderand 20 yrs younger. it's all good... you'll need the essentials. change of clothes,food, water(lots of water) all camping gear. bring spares of everything. think of the worst possible scenario and plan for that. it won't happen but if it does your ready for it.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:13 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

Hmmmmm........I'm considering this trip, my girl is going to see her parents for Memorial Day weekend........it looks like 1,100 miles from Jupiter, Florida.....is that right? EMS did hike it down to Tally for the tour. Or.....Should I just run a-muck in the Ocala National Forest?
You can do Ocala NF anytime. The first annual NE ride will only come once. That's a helluva long trip for you, though. I thought it was going to be a long drive for me and Chris from central NC, but if you come up from FL, you'll definitely win the iron butt award.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Come on finger mullet.... id enjoy riding with you again!!!!

How old are you digital over kill? Im 24

**found your b day--

9/3/1984

so your one year younger...

Old 04-25-2007, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

While we're at it, I'll be 24 on June 6th. I think the only "restriction" of sorts that we had talked about was being street legal, IE, insurance, bike license or permit, and the bike should be tagged so we can hit the roads to get gas. Hit a milestone this weekend, the KLX rolled over 3000 miles.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

Owen, I second (or third or whatever) the motion on the floor that you get your act together and head up north. From what I hear, we might need your sand riding experience to teach some of us a thing or two.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Sup guys, sorry I dont get a chance to post much. But the ride is comming up. I am out in the Pine Barrensevery few weeks or so and I'm getting pretty familliar with the area. Here is a lits of thingswe should do to prepare.

1. TIRES. if you have the stockers you will hate it. The best I have found for the money that are D.O.T. are the kenda Track Master 110/100-18 or the 120/100-18, the Dunlop 120/9018 is also a good tire.
Tire Pressure, 15 front 13-14 rear. We havetools, pumps, tubes and patches for trailside flats.
2. WATER please bring a camelbak. You can get cheap ones at wally (Backpack with bladder) for 20 bucks. Your lunch will be along for the ride in this as well in this pack.
3. WATER Please read #2 again. I cant stress this enough.
4. GAS. Bring at least 1-5 gallon jug per bike with your name on it. There is no gas station nearby.
5. CASH have a few bucks in your pocket. There is abreakfast jointwe will be going to that does not take visa. Also have some cash to give the loser that will be running to town to fill your gas can.[sm=gears.gif]
6.RADIO it will be a good idea to bring a radio, A cheap cobra or Motorolia from walmart (Please dont use VOX)you can get an earbud and push to talk mic pretty cheap. They come in 2 packs so split them with a buddy. (Learn how to use it.) It really comes in handy to know about the big root in the trail or lame ATV rednecks blasting your way.
7. GPS if you have one bring it. So if you get away from the group you can find your way back to camp. Its a big place and easy to get lost and run out of fuel. This is where #6 comes in handy.[sm=helpout.gif]
8. AIR FILTER I will be cleaning my airfilter every night. Its dirty and sandy out there plus 15+ bikes in a row can kick up alot of dust. If you use regular dino oil bring a small container to put a little gas in. If you use no-toil all you need is water.
9. GOGGLE Bring a soft rag or goggle wipes so you can clean your goggles, it can get real dusty and this comes in handy. Also if you have spare goggles or lensesthrow one in your backpack.(NO TEAROFFS we cant litter the froest[sm=smiley21.gif]) No fog and rain x is a huge help here.
10.CHAIN LUBE we will be pushing 300-400 miles so our chain will need some love[sm=love.gif]. Plus throwing the cans in the camp fire makes for great fun![sm=devilgrin.gif]
11. OIL change our oil and filter before the ride, and bring a little extra. We tend to run the motors at High rpm's out there and burn a little oil.
12.HAND GAURDS When you dump the bike(Yes you will dump it) the bar will drop 8-10" into the sand, this will curl your levers like a pretzel. It always seems to happen the first 10 min into the ride. So if you can throw on a set of wraparound hand gaurds or have spare levers.
13.SHORTS if you have padded bike shorts bring em! also the big bottle of [sm=hail.gif]goldbond[sm=hail.gif]!
14. GREEN PAINT. This is to change the color of orange,or yellow bikes to the proper color!
15. SPARK ARRESTOR. have your sparky and quiet core in![sm=badbadbad.gif]
16. INSURANCE card and emergency contact #s.[sm=outcold.gif]we all need to keep them on us and in the same place, like the tool pouch.
17. SAG set your rear sag at 110-115mm this greatly improves how the bike handles in the sand. Make sure your rebound is not to tight. you will pack up in the long whoop sections.
18. SNACKS its a good idea to have some energy bars,trail mix or jerky.

If we all do this we should have a great ride. Please spend an evening going over your bike to check for loose/missing bolts. Tighten your spokes and zip ty or tie wire them at the crossing points (If you break a spoke it can pop a tube or put an eye out!)

Just make sure we check everything so we dont have watch No-Brakes spin T handles.

Jimmi will have a little meeting on sat morning to go over things to keep your eye on. as well as some pointers for sand riding.

Feel free to add to this list.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:19 AM

Great list Patrick.

Do you know of anyone that has run Cheng Shin C858's in the area. I put a set of these on just before the Florida rally that Eric and I attended. They did well in the sand down there, but I don't know if the consistency is significantly different in the NJ area. I wish I could get away with the Trackmasters, but I put way too many road miles on my bike for that.

Thanks for all of this info and the other efforts in organizing this shindig. Looking forward to meeting you and all the others.

Chris

Old 04-26-2007, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

My C858 rear doesn't work too well in bottomless sandpits but steep sandy climbs on the trails it motors up easy, I'm looking for a suggestion for a front tire other than the TM2 because I commute to work on the bike too.

Quick Reply: Everyone in the NORTHEAST