Everyone in the NORTHEAST

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Everyone in the NORTHEAST

Hmm NJ appears to be warmer than it is here, we just got another 5 inches of snow on top of the quarter inch of freezing rain that fell last week. I did put in 7 miles of plow duty on the Sportsman though, the KLX however is still up on the Craftsman stand due to the waist deep snow.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I hate being the bearer of bad news, this happened to me this weekend in the Pinebarrens of New Jersey. I found the area with the help of Dirtsurfer, and as his photos show this place is a dirtbikers dream, it has everything you could possibly imagine from beginner to expert. Unfortunately, the majority of the trails are illegal to ride, this is not to say the "Northeast Trip" should be cancelled. As Dirtsurfer says, you can ride the fireroads of which there are 100"s of miles. However you can not deviate into the woods, trails, sandpits or as the "Nice" officer that accosted my son & I put it; "Anywhere you can drive the family Cadillac, you can drive your motorcycle" The "legal" roads vary from flathardpacked sand to bumpy & sometimes soft sand, there are miles & miles of road, but it can get boring, & the temptation to wander into the "Oh so inviting"omnipresent trails can be impossible to resist.[sm=badidea.gif] There is a fine of up to $1000 and bikes can be impounded, the officers checked everything on our bikes, even the DOT[sm=yikesomg.gif] stamp on the tires.
Make sure you have all you documentation on you.[sm=goodidea.gif]

My son received a summons for; failure to display hisdrivers license; $180 fine[sm=bustedsign.gif]
I got ; operating a vehicle off established roadway. $74 fine.

Be careful people.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

wow that sucks..... damn officers......

Old 03-06-2007, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

DivoDave sent me an email and let me know what happened.....

Apparently the police (which often wave to me ... and I always wave back) on the fire roads were in full ambush mode this weekend at the sand pit... Guess we won't be going back there.[:'(]

The pics above and the map of the Wharton State Park trails are the legitimate ones that all legally registered insured plated bikes (and Cadillacs) can ride.

Within those, there are amany less traveled legal fire roads with whoops and some fun hazards but it sounds like the gunk holes are going to be off limits....(sorry guys...)

I'm sure that Patrick and company know of many more of the less traveled (and therefore more challenging) legal roads as well so I'm sure it will be a blast, just no ledge jumping unfortunately....

I will also be checking out the trail riding just south of Bass River camp ground in the next week or two as my friend (or son) and I continue to explore.

We promise to keep you legal....

Dave

Old 03-06-2007, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

full ambush mode huh? been there. you know these people are nuts about their rocks and trees. you think that officer was bad. try running into a bunch of horse people.. i stopped and shut my bike a good 75 yards away and these kooks still had aneurism. when the group caught up i flagged them down, we turned around and pulled way off the trail with all the bikes shut off to keep the horses calm. not one of the horses got spooked at all and they still wouldn't shut the hell up.. the funny part of this story is. It's illegal forANYONE to be where we were. they had no more of a right to be there than us but to them WE were wrong.

with all the pipes we have we're going to atract attention.. even if we're not the only ones out there it's gonna be LOUD!!!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:08 PM

Say it ain't so! I hope there is at least somewhere in the area where we can legally do some single track. I am far too old to be running from the cops.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Bump for the new members.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:46 PM

Has anyone been able to find out any more about the access issues that DivoDave raised a while back? I'm a little worried that we will all meet up there and not have any place to ride.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff

Has anyone been able to find out any more about the access issues that DivoDave raised a while back? I'm a little worried that we will all meet up there and not have any place to ride.
I have to defer to Dirtsurfer on this, it is his turf & I believe he knows best.
I was riding in an area that I was not supposed to be in, other people have talked up; Wharton State Park for our favorite pastime. I will be visiting there shortly (This weekend, DSDave?)and will report my findings.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

even if we dont have alot of single track to do, im sure we will have fun... im sure the nights around the fire will get interesting... really guys i wont make the fire toooo big i promise.... i could bring my potato gun?!!! we could have lots of fun.... that thing shoots flames like you wouldnt believe at night.....

Quick Reply: Everyone in the NORTHEAST