Everyone in the NORTHEAST

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Everyone in the NORTHEAST

Hey EMS, I only live about 3 hours north of you. Exactly 9 miles from my house is the Allegheny National Forest. The ANF has 38 miles of ATV/motorcycle trails that you can ride with a permit. The permit costs $10 a day or $35 for the entire year. This is where I do most of my riding. It consists of single track trails up to well-traveled logging roads. The only bummer is that it is in the middle nowhere, so there are no ammenities like hotels. You can, however, camp anywhere along the trail.

You can check it out here:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/alle...on/atv_trails/

I mostly ride the Timberline Trail, which is pretty easy.I ride it because my girl friend often rides with me, and she can get cranky when the going gets rough!

You can check it out here:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/alle...ls/timberline/

The Timberline Trail is good for a day-ride. They have a "speed limit" of 25 MPH on all the trails, and if you stick to that you can ride the whole trail in about 6 hours. The other trails are tougher (i.e.steeper, with baseball-sized rocks), and I've never ridden any of them the whole way (remember, she can get really cranky!).

Anyway, I just wanted throw this at you as food for thought.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:00 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Ok cool, now we are getting somewhere! Ill be visiting you this summer to ride that stuff with you...
The ANF might be too far west for some.... but its would not be out of the possibilities...

I found something else too... PA motocross parks/tracks
http://www.trailsource.com/scripts/t...&TYPE=DIRT

Old 01-31-2007, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I live in SJ so I'm in. How about paragon heard nothing but great things about it. Plus it has local camping facilities and hotels for a weekend type meet.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

That looks pretty cool. Id be up for setting something up there.....
http://www.paragonap.com/p_atv.htm

Trail map of paragon:

Old 01-31-2007, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

I think I'm on the Frappr map but not sure, I'm about as far North in NY as you can get (20 minutes from Canadian border). If I could find a trailer and hitch for my 06 Stratus I'd love to join in on a group ride somewhere around PA wouldn't be too bad. It's just over 6 hours for me to hit the PA/NY border.
Where are u?? more towards Plattsburgh or Watertown?? or somewhere in between??
I am in Albany (Saratoga area), if this happens maybe we can ride out together, I have a Tahoe and it is not expensive to rent a trailer for a weekend, or I have a friend with an open trailer, just don't ask me to back up

Old 01-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Come on guys, lets see if we can get more than 10 klx's together and beat the FL Trip....

Anyone have any objections with Paragon? Primitive camping 5$ a night.... hazeltown pa...

Old 01-31-2007, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the concept and +2 on Paragon..

Don't forget about the fire roads of the south Jersey Pine barrons (and gunk holes!!) as a possiblity, I think there are some campgrounds at bass river state park and Basto state park.

(Might be a bit too far south for our purpose but its FREE...For the most part its fire roads, Paragon looks interesting from a trail riding perspective.....)

Old 01-31-2007, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

You know, it's amazing what you can learn through Google! Well first, some background. I was at a Yamaha dealership in State College with my Dad when he bought his XT225. The dealer invited us to go on an organized dual sport ride that a local club was putting on. Since that's pretty much the center of PA, I thought I'd do some searching for it.

It turns out that the club is called the Durty Dabbers - a dual sport and trials motocycle club. The ride is in Mill Hall, PA, which is just outside of Lock Haven (again, north-central PA). It's this June 2nd and 3rd. From what I was told, it's a 2-day, 100 mile event with single track trails, logging roads, and some pavement. The club's website, http://www.durtydabbers.com/, doesn't list any details yet, but that to stay tuned.

Maybe this might be something to look into. I'll keep trying to get some more info.

BTW, absolutely EMS, come on up and we'll do some riding in the ANF! I haven't heard a good Pittsburgh accent since my roommate in college, who was from West Mifflin. I know all about Donnie Iris down atda Pants-N-At. (You might be too young to get that - it was a Paulsen and Kren skit on WDVE).

Old 01-31-2007, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

While I was digging up info on the Mill Hall ride, you guys were posting about Paragon. That looks cool to me too - I'm in.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm in too............
A friend of mine is really into the enduro runs that are held all over NJ. I'm gonna get the details on this program and post it here for the NJ crowd. I know they are 100 mile runs that incorporate some street,open dirt trails and some real technical stuff too.
They are held far up north and down south.
Not that this would replace the run this post is refering tobut only an idea for some KLX'rs to get together and do some sanctioned runs.
Anyway.....I'm in, I could pobably get one or two NON KLX'rstoo so we have someone to poke fun at!!!!

Quick Reply: Everyone in the NORTHEAST