Evaporative separator elimination

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Evaporative separator elimination

Need a bit of help, please. I have a 2009 KLX250S, and am doing the usual Reed valve elimination (Just plug the hose on the airbox end, as well as the one at the top front, and the vacuum hose from the removed valve to the carb).

Also doing the evaporative canister elimination, but, I got confused! So, I have two hoses from under the tank that used to go to the separator...what do I do with them? I plugged the hose that goes to the carb vacuum.

The links I followed trying to find this info all led to pictures that wouldn't display, or to a dead-end. I got frustrated trying to find out this simple info.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-29-2010, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member

from what i know, just cap them. and i dont think 4 strokes have reed valves, wish these where 2 smokes.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:55 PM
1st Gear Member

It's not "that kind" of reed valve. It's a flat valve with a piece that lifts up, to allow filtered air to be introduced into the exhaust, so the increased oxygen can burn unburnt fuel upon deceleration. I actually removed the reed valves from another bike I had and covered the hole with a plate. Seems like too much work for this bike. Capping it at the front eliminates this function, so I removed the vacuum valve, and capped it where it went to the carb and the air box.

Figured out what to do, one of those hoses (blue) from the tank is a simple vent, I put a drain hose on it, the other one (red) I capped. Bike ran fine in the garage, so, I think it will be fine out on the trail...gotta test it first to be certain.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Must be a California thing? I'm confused......but then again I'm always confused, sooooooo yeah LOL

Old 07-29-2010, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
It's not "that kind" of reed valve. It's a flat valve with a piece that lifts up, to allow filtered air to be introduced into the exhaust, so the increased oxygen can burn unburnt fuel upon deceleration. I actually removed the reed valves from another bike I had and covered the hole with a plate. Seems like too much work for this bike. Capping it at the front eliminates this function, so I removed the vacuum valve, and capped it where it went to the carb and the air box.

Figured out what to do, one of those hoses (blue) from the tank is a simple vent, I put a drain hose on it, the other one (red) I capped. Bike ran fine in the garage, so, I think it will be fine out on the trail...gotta test it first to be certain.
Ok your correct on the first two. Front to rear. Blue is the vent to allow air in the tank to replace spent fuel. Red is capped. Next is the long overflow tube ran to the swingarm. Yellow is #1 on the fuel pet ****, White is #2 on the fuel pet ****.

At first I capped the blue line and the bike ran for about a minute or so then stalled. I figured out what was going on when I checked the fuel level and the tank had a vacuum on it. I'm only street but for off road I'd think about putting some type of filter on the blue line.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by slippery750
Ok your correct on the first two. Front to rear. Blue is the vent to allow air in the tank to replace spent fuel. Red is capped. Next is the long overflow tube ran to the swingarm. Yellow is #1 on the fuel pet ****, White is #2 on the fuel pet ****.

At first I capped the blue line and the bike ran for about a minute or so then stalled. I figured out what was going on when I checked the fuel level and the tank had a vacuum on it. I'm only street but for off road I'd think about putting some type of filter on the blue line.
Thanks for the confirmation...it always helps! Filter isn't a bad idea, also.